Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dip Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/18/11 05:55 PM
Hi all,
I am a recent Axiom owner. Recently I drove from Philadelphia to Axiom factory at Dwight. I was lucky to meet Ian Colquhoun, the president of the company. But more than that, I met one of the nicest people one can come across, as well the nicest speakers I have ever listened to. Could not resist but bought two M80s, four QS8s and one VP180.
My issue is, I have a 52 inch LCD, seating on a TV stand. The shelf under the TV is not high enough to hold VP180. I do not want to spend another $300 to buy a TV stand with built in mount. I was trying to make a shelf on top of the TV, and put VP 180 there. Unfortunately, I could not find any stud. Do you think I can use drywall pins to hold 16 inches shelve brackets (3 in number, 12 inches apart), to hold the shelf and then place VP 180 on top? I am just worried, as it is pretty heavy. Any idea will be appreciated. Sincerely, Dip
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/18/11 06:39 PM
Welcome, Dip!
We had an Axiom owner get-together last Fall, and yes, Ian's a great guy!

Years ago, I built this to "float" my VP150 over my DLP TV. I wouldn't dare trust a VP180 on there as it is, but maybe some modifications (i.e., "four legs" instead of two) might work for you?

I wouldn't trust a shelf that wasn't in the studs. That VP18- would be front heavy and, I believe, likely pull any mount out of the drywall. Maybe a wall-mounted shelf with two front "legs" resting on the TV stand to support the front?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/18/11 07:21 PM
Have you tried gently driving some longish thin nails into the wall to find the studs? Thin nails won't leave big holes.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/19/11 12:40 AM
not sure I would try drywall anchors for this beast, did you use a stud finder? Unless you could find 2to3 studs I would be a little concerned.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/19/11 01:24 AM
Dip, welcome. Driving from Philadelphia to Axiom certainly demonstrated your enthusiasm for great sound. You picked a great set of speakers. Enjoy.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/19/11 06:50 PM
Is there a reason why you can't mount the TV on the wall and use the TV stand to hold the VP180 (that's the way I have it)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/19/11 07:18 PM
Good thought, Bruno! I should have thought of that too....considering that's what my plan is for my next upgrade!
Posted By: davidsch Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/22/11 11:23 AM
Nice looking stand, Mark. Your woodworking skills never fail to amaze me.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Need help - Placing VP180 - 08/22/11 12:41 PM
Thanks, David, but my woodworking is strictly utilitarian. There are many here who put my stuff to shame!
© Axiom Message Boards