Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Sarang Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 05:19 PM
If Axiom were to improve their speakers, what improvements would you suggest?
Posted By: fredk Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 06:29 PM
Free dancing girls with every pair of M80s? grin
Posted By: Adrian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 06:33 PM
Cupholders.
Posted By: fredk Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 06:35 PM
OK, serious answer is I don't know exactly. Improving the sound is something that probably consumes most of Ian's time and I suspect gains in this area don't come easily, or possibly without cost.

Axiom could spend money on updating the styling, but that again comes at a cost.

If you add those two together you get something like Paragdigms Signature line. Look at the cost there.
Posted By: fredk Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Cupholders.

Oooooh! Good idea. That way when you duct tape them into your bigrig ...
Posted By: Adrian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 06:39 PM
I was thinking of an icebox/door on the back of the M80, what do you think?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 06:42 PM
Ok....enuff frivolity!

Count me in on the curvy cabinet group.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 07:59 PM
Great question Sarang.
It used to be that people wanted real wood options, and look, we've had that now for a little while. Just goes to show that Axiom listens to the customer base and future suggestions. I don't know what they should do different. They offer a wide product line, with a bunch of finishes, and the design is solid sonically, so only minor tweaks are made to the design. I think that the biggest thing that I've heard or thought is the physical design of the cabinets *could* be updated a little bit, but that would probably cost more too.

For me, I like them as is. :-)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 09:07 PM
Can't think of anything.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 09:31 PM
I know, I know......

On/in wall M80's. Maybe not sound as good as the floorstanders, but it they could get more of that low to midbass than the M22 on/in wall without the shrillness I've experienced from the on/wall M22. It just might be a weiner...
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 11:29 PM
W[M^T]W horizontal centre channel or JohnK's similar driver complement for a horizontal centre properly executed.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Improving Axioms - 09/11/11 11:30 PM
I think Axiom hits the sweet spot when it comes to price/performance.
While the cabinet could certainly be more fancy (therefore increasing the cost), they are not by all means bad looking speakers, specially for those that can afford the real wood veneer and now on the V3s without the pin holes thanks to the magnetic grills.
There is 2 cosmetic changes that I would like to have that wouldn't necessarily bring the cost up. The first is that it would be nice if Axiom would find a way to keep the hex screws that attach the drivers more recessed into the cabinet instead of sticking out the way they do, the speakers would look nicer. The second is that while on most Axiom speakers the drivers are recessed into the cabinet and almost flush with the face, it is not the case for the top and bottom drivers of the QS8s, the drivers sticks out of the cabinet. Whenever I can (or let say whenever my 2 year old is not around for a few days), I like to have the grills off. I then remove all the grills except the top and bottom of the QS8s, it just doesn't look good seeing these drivers sticking out the way they do.
These are 2 minor things but to me the speakers would look much nicer if it would be changed.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 01:56 AM
I vote for continuing to improve each existing product as they currently do.

I would like to see a new 2 channel amp to come out that knocks the socks off the competition.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 02:10 AM
I'd like to see a beefier version of the QS8's able to play a bit lower in the Hz. Kind of like they did with the VP-180 but maybe not on quite that scale.

A QS10 will do - no need for a QS180! eek
Posted By: CV Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 02:12 AM
Some cheaper wood speaker stands would be welcome, and outriggers for the tower speakers are mentioned quite often. I'm still waiting to see QS4/QS8 speakers with a mounting option similar to the M0 On-Walls.

Like David, I definitely want to see them come back with new amplifiers.

As it is, I'm going to be spending more money with what they already offer. I'm going to try a VP180 sometime soon and see if I can be satisfied with a horizontal center channel. I'll probably end up with a second, assuming it meets my needs, whenever my system ends up in the basement. I'll probably end up with a pair of the on-walls or whatever in the bathroom, too... eventually. In the meantime, I'm certainly enjoying what I already have. It's still fun to show my system off to guests.
Posted By: CV Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 02:13 AM
Originally Posted By: cb919
I'd like to see a beefier version of the QS8's able to play a bit lower in the Hz. Kind of like they did with the VP-180 but maybe not on quite that scale.

A QS10 will do - no need for a QS180! eek

I'd like to see this, too. Not that I feel dissatisfied with the QS8s. I just want to see if I can actually tell a difference.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 02:32 AM
I'd want Ian to invent a time machine, travel forward 50 years, and bring back Axiom's then-current speaker technology to our time.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 02:42 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I'd want Ian to invent a time machine, travel forward 50 years, and bring back Axiom's then-current speaker technology to our time.

Winner!
Posted By: turbo16v Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 02:51 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
W[M^T]W horizontal centre channel or JohnK's similar driver complement for a horizontal centre properly executed.

^^^^^^^
Yes yes yes
I don't post much but that is the best idea so far. A center channel that has GREAT on AND off axis response in a must. I have to admit that my 150 was a disappointment. However the m2 that replaced it is fabulous!! Now just put a bass driver on either side of the m2! grin
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 03:14 AM
I'm quite sure Ian considered many different driver and cabinet configurations while developing the VP180. So, product-line-wise, I'm not sure if you're looking for a replacement of the VP150 or something else? Because I think it's pretty clear they don't need to market 4 center channels.

"Improvement" is obviously subjective. I agree with most of what's already been written. Since this wasn't really titled as a "new product" thread, I suppose we're looking for "how can current products be 'better'". Speakers really only do a couple things to begin with - emit sound, and provide a visual appeal.

So, you obviously want them to sound better and look better, right. Well, Ian is constantly working to make them sound better in the context of their established market niche and business philosophy. We've seen those incremental changes over the years. And introduction of the Custom Finish shop provides more flexibility than virtually any other manufacturer, certainly at this price point.

So, I don't see how you could have meaningful "improvement" without fundamentally altering the basic nature of the products. On a certain level, if you don't like the way Axiom speakers already look or sound, I don't think it's terribly likely that any "improvements" are going to change your mind.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 04:34 AM
Yes, as Dr. Horse(Blue Jays)mentioned above, we've discussed several times such a center speaker for those who want a horizontal appearance/fit, not as big/expensive as the VP180, but with wide, smooth dispersion. The W T/M W configuration is available from several competitors, and a good design at a moderate cost could replace the VP100 and/or VP150.
Posted By: GTZ Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 01:32 PM
A redesign of the metal stands, or maybe some wood stands, for the QS series. IMHO the metal stands look kinda goofy and bottom heavy. Although well constructed and functional it's alot of stand for a speaker of it's size.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yes, as Dr. Horse(Blue Jays)mentioned above, we've discussed several times such a center speaker for those who want a horizontal appearance/fit, not as big/expensive as the VP180, but with wide, smooth, dispersion. The W T/M W configuration is available from several competitors, and a good design at a moderate cost could replace the VP100 and/or VP150.

Floyd Toole discusses this in Sound Reproduction in a section on horizontal centre channels and how a properly WM^TW with a dedicated midrange is a superior design for wide, smooth dispersion and for best consistent performance from listening room to listening room. He really stresses the importance off-axis and the polar response and how other driver complements are flawed in this regard because they suffer from off-axis interference which can be audible and is non-optimal. He discusses that the WM^TW can eliminate this problem.
Posted By: Cork Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 03:52 PM
At the risk of showing my ignorance, I've often wondered why they don't have an "M32" (2x 6.5 divers) for those who are toally committed to the no sub sound, but can't afford or don't want the towers.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 03:53 PM
I'd guess they tried it and didn't like it. But it's hard to say. That would be one BIG bookshelf, though.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 04:21 PM
What about a 3 way? 6.5 + 3.5 + tweet.

An M631, or M136.

Now, that might be a good combo for a behind the screen L/C/R in an in-cabinet form.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 04:41 PM
Gawd, a 3-way WOULD be sweet if the hardware were correct.

grin
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 04:46 PM
More ports, fewer binding posts?
Posted By: Cork Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 05:51 PM
It would be about 22". Big, but not *that* much bigger than the V22. Of couse, it would just be a small M50, and they probably don't want to have competing models with that little difference ...

... so maybe a 3 way like someone said; but why not a 1/5.25/6.5? They must have experimented with that. I'm curious why it didn't pan out.
Posted By: Amie Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 05:58 PM
This thread is great - lots of interesting ideas and excellent feedback - thanks for starting it!

Originally Posted By: GTZ
A redesign of the metal stands, or maybe some wood stands, for the QS series. IMHO the metal stands look kinda goofy and bottom heavy. Although well constructed and functional it's alot of stand for a speaker of it's size.

We'd love to hear suggestions on this one. The challenge is of course having a design that lets the bottom woofer fire freely, and doesn't make the stand top&front heavy. Would something like a music stand's U-shaped support have more appeal, do you think? Or have you got any ideas already that might look more streamlined?
Posted By: GTZ Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 08:40 PM
I totally understand the speaker is heavy and the bottom woofer does present a design challenge in a new type of stand. How about just wrapping the two posts in the same boston cherry covering as the speakers. That might get rid of some of the black and improve the WAF. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Amie
This thread is great - lots of interesting ideas and excellent feedback - thanks for starting it!

We'd love to hear suggestions on this one. The challenge is of course having a design that lets the bottom woofer fire freely, and doesn't make the stand top&front heavy. Would something like a music stand's U-shaped support have more appeal, do you think? Or have you got any ideas already that might look more streamlined?

Posted By: Amie Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 09:06 PM
Ah, okay, so it isn't the two-poles-vs-one-pole. Gotcha.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 09:46 PM
Axioms in a "mirror" finish.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 10:13 PM
... with the woofer covered in silk.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: bdpf
... with the woofer covered in silk.

...for silky smooth bass, and
ferrofluid in the mid drivers and tweeters...for liquid mids/highs. :-S
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 10:52 PM
I wanna see a M100 flagship model. Priced around 3 to 5k and devastatingly bad ass. Full range with active sub in each tower.

That or a professional line of studio monitors.

That's an untapped market that Focal has taken great advantage of.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Improving Axioms - 09/12/11 11:03 PM
Ditto the Zappa Quoter.
Posted By: CV Re: Improving Axioms - 09/13/11 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
I'm still waiting to see QS4/QS8 speakers with a mounting option similar to the M0 On-Walls.

Oh, I guess it's already started. solarrdadd posted the following on the Blu-ray.com forum:

Originally Posted By: solarrdadd
one thing i do like is that the QS8's all now come with power mounting brackets standard. you connect your wires to the mounting bracket, mount the bracket to the wall and clip the speakers onto the bracket to power them. that solves the issue of banana, spade or pin type connectors sticking out and making the speaker sit out and look odd. it also means you don't have to try to wire directly to the speaker while holding it up in the air then trying to mount it.

the last QS speaker i got had the power bracket mount and they said they all will be like that from now on.

Posted By: terzaghi Re: Improving Axioms - 09/13/11 09:05 PM
Wow, really? That is nice!
Posted By: GTZ Re: Improving Axioms - 09/14/11 12:01 AM

A one pole design would look good if it could be done.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Improving Axioms - 09/14/11 12:30 AM
Real wood for the same price as the vinyl smile
Posted By: bdpf Re: Improving Axioms - 09/14/11 01:19 AM

A one pole design would look good if it could be done.

A simple way to do it would be to have a base, one pole and on the top a plate to support the back of the QS8s with 2 anchors as found on the T-bracket.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/14/11 02:55 AM
So, I take it noone is into mirror finishes?

I think that would be so cool. Especially in locations where they are used for music only. Mirror finished M3s mounted on a wall with a white FMB.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Improving Axioms - 09/14/11 10:49 AM
I have enough problems with reflections...
Posted By: fredk Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 06:01 AM
REFLECT!
Posted By: Murph Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I have enough problems with reflections...

Further evidence Mark is a vampire.
Posted By: CV Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 06:25 PM
With his woodworking skills, he could make quite the suicide stake.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 06:40 PM
Aluminum covered Axiom Speakers (Think M2 or M3 for music use only). Here's a video that shows how to turn aluminum into a polished mirror. Just go straight to the end, if you just want to see what polished aluminum looks like.
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 07:23 PM

This is a great thread. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our products. We have our ongoing research into how to continuously make them sound better and we have all of the other various ideas, which to a large extent come from customer comments, as to how to make them just better. Creating “Customize Yours” allowed us to incorporate all kinds of suggestions that otherwise would be pretty much impossible to do because we would always have to decide if it would be something most customers would want. With “Customize Yours” we can incorporate things that maybe only a few people would want.

As noted earlier in this thread we recently redesigned the Power Bracket used with our on-wall products and incorporated it into the QS models. The QS models also have a binding post input if you are using them with our stands or Full Metal Bracket.

Shortly we will be introducing a feature to Customize Yours for matching your walls. There will be a place to input the brand, colour number, and finish of your wall paint and we will make your speakers to match. For specialty colours a sample can be sent to us and we will match it.

Ever since the introduction of the VP180 there has been much discussion of introducing a VP160 centre channel, and I see it has come up again in this thread. In light of this I think I will commit now to have this product ready for shipping in December. We will post some renderings of it in the next week or two.

There was some discussion here of a studio monitor. A lot of studios use our products now but to really have a true studio monitor is should be powered. It is our plan for some time in 2012 to bring out one or two of our models in a powered version as “Studio Monitors”.

We are also working very hard right now to have the amplifiers back by the end of December. It is going to be tight but we are close. It was a major redesign.

There is also something very new and very cool we have been working on for years that will be ready by the end of this year. It sits between your pre-amp and your main amp and is designed to work with the M80 v3 and the VP180 v3. Soon after it will be available for the M60 v3, M22 v3, VP150 v3, and the new VP160 v3. This is the major next leap forward in sound quality we have been working on for years. They don’t come along all that often so we are very excited about it. Expect a lot more information on this one at the beginning of October.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 08:03 PM
"There is also something very new and very cool we have been working on for years that will be ready by the end of this year. It sits between your pre-amp and your main amp..."

what would this "something" do in the system?
just a little hint would be nice Ian.

i'm adding this to help untie your lips: :-D

have a super day.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 08:07 PM
Ian, thanks for the updates!

Also, you're a tease! wink
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 08:11 PM
It sits between my amp and my pre-amp. Dust?

Yeah. The edit button is still working. Too bad I don't have anything intelligent to say.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 08:27 PM
I'm definitely interested in the centre channel!

The first thing that came to my mind was some kind of active unit between the pre-amp and amp for fine tuning, adjustments/integration for the mains and sub. Like an active crossover comes to mind. But who knows?
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 08:43 PM

BlueJays1,

It is a piece of smart electronics that we have written algorithms for allowing us to control every aspect of the response to make it perfectly accurate to the Axiom Listening Window. It is pretty cool; we have one running in our listening room now. Over the next few weeks we will be coming up with things like what to call it and how to best explain succinctly how it works.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 08:51 PM
Can you use just an AVR, or does it have to be a seperate pre-amp / amp combination? How many channels?
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 08:55 PM

CatBrat,

If your AVR has pre-outs and main-ins you can use this device no problem. It will be available in either 2-channel, if you have a stereo set-up, or 3-channel if you are running a home theatre.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 09:02 PM
Interesting. Looking forward to learning more about this device. I'll wait to ask any questions until then.
Posted By: Sarang Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 09:52 PM
Wow....

I was expecting to see a lot of suggestions from the axiom owners but did not expect new product announcements on this thread.

Thanks Ian for taking the feedback and making useful improvements to your productline. i'm sure a lot of customers planning to buy the in-wall speakers will be thrilled by the options of getting color matched speakers from Axiom.

Studio Monitors will definitely open up a whole new clientage for Axiom. We will look forward to the redesigned amplifiers and the 'mystry device' and hope to enter the next year with some new and exciting products.

Personally, i'm excited with the news of a new center channel. VP180, though a great speaker, is a little big when sitting under the LCD. I hope VP160 will inherit the sound characteristics from its bigger brother and offer it in a smaller package.

There have been quite a few interesting improvements as suggested by the members in this thread. It list a few of them:
1. Hex screws should be a little recessed on the speakers to give a cleaner look.
2. Top and bottom speakers on the QS should be flushied with the speaker body.
3. Towers should come with the option of outtriggers.
4. Real wood finishes at the price of vinyl (my fav).
5. Brushed statinless steel logo on speakers.
6. Improved sleeker looking stands design.
7. Better lower extension for QS.
8. M136/ 631, mirror finishes, W[M^T]W configuration for center, flagship M100, silk covered woofers (for silky smooth sound) etc. to name a few ..........

Personally, I liked the finishes on Aperion Verus and hope I could get similar finishes and styling in Axiom without paying a huge premium just for the finishes.

Hoping to gather some more suggestions from the members. And looking forward to the new product releases from Axiom.

Thanks
Posted By: Adrian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 10:48 PM
Interesting news Ian! could there be a "name that electronic device" contest in the future?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 11:38 PM
Wow, awesome update Ian!

Does the new electronic doo-hickey only work with V3, or would it work with m80 v2 and vp180 v3?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Improving Axioms - 09/15/11 11:58 PM
Judging by what we've seen of the process to do the real wood on the Axioms, I wouldn't count on that one! 20 coats takes a lot of hours...
Posted By: fredk Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Interesting news Ian! could there be a "name that electronic device" contest in the future?

ThangamaAdrian? Thingamabob is already taken...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 02:55 AM
I would still like to see a Center channel with WT/MW design.
Posted By: CV Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 04:40 AM
Ian, it's great to see you take time to give us insight into what's new and coming up.

I can't wait to see what the mystery device is capable of. I've always thought it would be great to see electronics that know exactly what speakers are hooked up to fine-tune the performance. Is this something that could be accomplished with existing AVRs and pre-pros if they all supported some kind of loudspeaker profile software? Of course, then it wouldn't be Axiom-exclusive. Maybe you could license your system, though? I know, these are just wild stabs in the dark. In any case, I'm hoping discussion of this device will pull ClubNeon back into posting a bit.

That's really great about the new QS power brackets. That should make a lot of installations go much smoother.

Glad to hear about the redesign of the amps as well. I can't wait to see how they've turned out.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Ian, it's great to see you take time to give us insight into what's new and coming up.

I can't wait to see what the mystery device is capable of. I've always thought it would be great to see electronics that know exactly what speakers are hooked up to fine-tune the performance. Is this something that could be accomplished with existing AVRs and pre-pros if they all supported some kind of loudspeaker profile software? Of course, then it wouldn't be Axiom-exclusive. Maybe you could license your system, though? I know, these are just wild stabs in the dark. In any case, I'm hoping discussion of this device will pull ClubNeon back into posting a bit.

That's really great about the new QS power brackets. That should make a lot of installations go much smoother.

Glad to hear about the redesign of the amps as well. I can't wait to see how they've turned out.

Ian mentioned the coding is specific to the Axiom listening window. The listening window is set of individual on and off axis frequency response measurements in the horizontal and vertical plane. The set of measurements are then averaged and then plotted as a single frequency response. That is whats called the listening window.

This device looks more like it would be exclusive to certain Axiom speakers and perhaps even specific to the version of that speaker because the listening windows may vary from version to version.
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 01:35 PM

BlueJays1,

That is correct. The device is coded specifically for the model of speaker you have and it is version dependant.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Judging by what we've seen of the process to do the real wood on the Axioms, I wouldn't count on that one! 20 coats takes a lot of hours...

20 coats of what? I have a real wood (well veneer) M2. It doesn't have the high gloss finish.
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 02:48 PM

Sarang,

I have put some comments in below regarding your laundry list:

1. Hex screws should be a little recessed on the speakers to give a cleaner look. – Our current screw has a nice positive drive on it that we like. Then there are all those people who really like the look of our current screw; or is it only me?

2. Top and bottom speakers on the QS should be flush with the speaker body. – This is a manufacturing thing. Our wood cutting shop is fully automated and the robot machines that cut the parts cannot hold this part to make the inset in it. There is not enough material left on this part for the clamping if we inset the driver. We will continue to see if we can figure out how to get the machine to do this. There have been attempts at it in the past but then there is always the next idea to try.

3. Towers should come with the option of outriggers. – This is a good idea for customize yours. We have been talking about it here over the past few days and the plinth idea is gaining a lot of favour over just the legs.

4. Real wood finishes at the price of vinyl (my fav). – This is my favourite also. It would just keep it so simple. The only possible downside is if people felt that increasing the vinyl prices up to be the same as the real wood was ok.

5. Brushed stainless steel logo on speakers. – I usually leave these sorts of things up to the women. I will have to ask Amie, Amie, Debbie, and Noreen what they think.

6. Improved sleeker looking stands design. – We have been working on our stands lately. We have not changed the basic look mind you so we are not really any “sleeker”. It has been more things like assembling them as completely as possible at our factory so they are easier to put together and changing the way the speaker mounts to the top plate so it is more ridged and does not have the visible metal piece at the front.

7. Better lower extension for QS. – This would involve a larger cabinet which can get a bit cumbersome for wall hanging. There is the option of running surround subs though. One EP125 for each pair of surrounds and run it through the high level input. Or one EP800 for each pair of surrounds for the overkill crowd.

8. M136/ 631, mirror finishes, W[M^T]W configuration for center, flagship M100, silk covered woofers (for silky smooth sound) etc. to name a few .......... – the VP160 is W[M^T]W and our high gloss finishes make pretty good mirrors.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 04:45 PM
Good stuff indeed. But now back to the most important topic, mirror finishes. Ahem. Think real mirror, silverish, reflecting everything around it. You would be the only manufacturer that produced mirror finish speakers. Soon, everyone (well not exactly), would want one of these and this would be the only place to get one..... I think it would be really cool, but then again, I'm usually a majority of one. Great for M3's.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 05:19 PM
how about "invisible paint"? the sort that makes you speakers disappear.
that would be great for the WAF (or WDF-Wife Dictate Factor).

(by the way, i don't have a wife, so i'm not biased. ;-))
Posted By: CV Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
This device looks more like it would be exclusive to certain Axiom speakers and perhaps even specific to the version of that speaker because the listening windows may vary from version to version.

Unless I'm missing something, it still sounds like primarily a software thing. What I was thinking is that you would download a loudspeaker-specific, version-appropriate file for the device to use, kind of like downloading a driver for Windows. I can see an AVR or preamp not having enough spare processing power to be able to do whatever this device does. In any case, I'm probably going to want to be one of the first to try it out, so I'd better start saving. smile
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Improving Axioms - 09/16/11 08:02 PM
Wow, Ian! Thank you for all the news. Cheers!
Posted By: dakkon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/19/11 02:07 AM
I would like to see a L/R with an 8" or 10" subwoofer. I currently have the M60's EP 600 and VP180. If i was to buy a new speaker, i would want something more significant than the m60 or m80.

something akin to the Wilson design. either the Sasha, or sophia. However i do not want to pay wilson price's. With that being said, i am sure ivan can bring something to market that would be a good value, Ivan if you make a speaker of this design, i WILL buy it... i think others would as well.

i realize that this speaker would possibly not appeal to axioms primary demographic, so i understand if my idea does not come to fruition.

But, if i don't ask, it will have even less of a chance of happening right?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Improving Axioms - 09/19/11 05:42 AM
I'll add another request a 3 channel amp smile
Posted By: JohnK Re: Improving Axioms - 09/20/11 01:19 AM
Pleasantly surprised to hear that the VP160 will have a W M/T(or T/M?) W configuration. Pleasantly because over the years I've suggested several possibilities for such a speaker. Surprised because if the same pattern as the M80 to VP180 development was followed(i.e., same drivers, about the same enclosure size)this couldn't be done with the M60. The mid-range and tweeter, if not modified, extend at least 9" and obviously couldn't be placed vertically in a 9.25" enclosure.

Speculation as to what the solution might be would include: taller enclosure; driver frames cut to fit closer to each other; use a smaller mid-range, such as the 4" from the QS4. Any other ideas?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Improving Axioms - 09/20/11 02:08 AM
Who the heck is Ivan? grin

John, I'm betting the tweeter faceplate gets virtually eliminated.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Improving Axioms - 09/20/11 03:25 AM
Can't wait to hear the VP160 smile smile very excited about that bit of news.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/20/11 03:37 AM
i suppose if i miss type Ian's name my chances of getting my L/R's are significantly smaller eh?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/20/11 11:58 AM
Ah. A VP160 in a silvery pure mirror finish.
Posted By: Amie Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 03:42 PM
Just to keep this fire burning a little while longer, let's see what everyone's number 1 choice would be from the listed improvements. A poll, a poll!
Posted By: Murph Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 04:23 PM
I did not but really wanted to vote for number two just because I loved the word "flushied". grin
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 04:43 PM
Heh.

Amie, if you didn't want us to vote for it, you shouldn't have put it in the poll. wink
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 05:20 PM
You knew I'd vote for the real mirror finish, didn't you?

The best I can do is give a mental picture of one. The perfect mirrored speaker would not be for HT use because of the reflections obviously, but for a stereo music setup. The M3 would probably be perfect for this, either on-wall, or bookshelf. It should cover 100% of the visible parts of the speaker case, preferably with rounded corners and edges that are of the same silvery, real mirror finish.

I know this is, more than likely, just wishful thinking, and don't expect to ever see such a thing.

Other than polished aluminum, I don't know how to accomplish such a thing. Anybody have any ideas for materials to use? Please don't say, "Just cover it in tin foil".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 06:46 PM
Just cover it in aluminum foil?
Posted By: bdpf Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 06:50 PM
... and make sure it's free of wrinkles.
Posted By: Argon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 09:10 PM
Why not go for a transparent mirror effect - like the Predator camoflauge?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/21/11 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Argon
Why not go for a transparent mirror effect - like the Predator camoflauge?

Then they wouldn't be shiny.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/22/11 12:40 AM
With the mention of the active/powered bookshelf "studio" models, is the response and crossover going to be tweaked from its passive brothers? Geared towards near field listening. For example a taper in the treble response because of this.
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/22/11 06:40 PM

BlueJays1,

The Studio Monitor active versions will have options available via a multi position switch for various tailorings needed during the recording process. We are considering having the switch located on just one of the speakers but it would adjust both speakers simultaneously; sort of a master/slave arrangement.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Improving Axioms - 09/22/11 06:55 PM
I will say that after today's newsletter, it does draw me back to the cool QS wall mount with built in connector for the speaker signal.

I wish I could "retro-fit" that on to my first pair of QS8s... Very cool.
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/22/11 07:07 PM

dakkon,

Ivan here. We have toyed with the idea of bringing out a pair of monster towers capable of playing down to around 14 Hz. Though it may be more practical in many situations to just use a pair of M80s with two EP800s as this broadens your choices for room placement of the subs.
Posted By: Ian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/22/11 07:42 PM

jakewash,

This is a good plan. In fact we can have this as an option in Customize Yours where you just select how many channels you want your amp to have.
Posted By: Argon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/22/11 10:40 PM
I voted for the Brushed Stainless Logo.....maybe you can retrofit my Epic 60-500 set??
Posted By: jakewash Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 12:05 AM
Ian, just send me a 3 channel amp when you have one ready, I was hooked on the A1400-8 but couldn't afford one. wink
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 12:07 AM
I'd like to see some more affordable, lower power than the A1400 series amps. Well, more affordable at least. wink
Posted By: JohnK Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 01:41 AM
Ian(aka Ivan)it certainly was distressing when it appeared at first that dakkon was cheating on us and looking to a Russian manufacturer for a better speaker!

As to the possibility of using bigger and presumably much more expensive main speakers with ultra-low bass extension, as you point out, using separate subs for that purpose appears to be much more effective since they can be placed independently of the mains where the best locations for bass exist, which would rarely if ever be the same spots for best locating the mains.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 02:24 AM
I'd probably like a 2 channel amp, but depends on the price.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 04:11 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I'd probably like a 2 channel amp, but depends on the price.
They did offer one which many of us didn't like the price of.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Ian(aka Ivan)it certainly was distressing when it appeared at first that dakkon was cheating on us and looking to a Russian manufacturer for a better speaker!

Russian??? Wilson's are manufactured in Utah man.

If you ever get a chance to listen to a pair of Wilson's DO NOT pass it up.. They are pretty freaking amazing..... But then again they are around 30k$ a pair for their smaller L/R's not to mention the 100k$ monsters!!!....

Hence my asking or an Axiom option smile
Posted By: Chevy Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 08:30 PM
Subwoofers appearance
I find the EP125 thru EP500 have a:
Boxy looking appearance.
May be having rounded edge could help ?
Posted By: Philippe Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 08:43 PM
I have own few Axiom speakers and of course we all want better mids, better bass, overall better sound quality. But these days i think that we also MUST need a good looking speaker. Not as fancy as a Paradigm studio/sig. line but at this time the few point who's actually been discuss is for me really important.

1.Hex screws should be a little recessed on the speakers to give a cleaner look.
2.Top and bottom speakers on the QS should be flushed with the speaker body.
3.Towers should come with the option of outriggers.
4.Real wood finishes at the price of vinyl.
5.Brushed stainless steel logo on speakers.

All those ideas are for me a really good way to put Axiom in the big line (#5 for me is the most important). Not only for the "best bang for the buck speaker" as everyone know. But a unique looking product, simple, that will have his own style and will suit a room.

I always have in mind the 800 line from Focal, i've own the 826V Moka and all i can say is wow, what a good looking speaker instead of wow what a big speaker like my M80 were.

Just my opinion.

Phil
Posted By: Adrian Re: Improving Axioms - 09/23/11 09:34 PM
I like the idea of an affordable 2 channel amp, as others have mentioned. Something around the 200 wpc range please.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/24/11 01:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Philippe
I have own few Axiom speakers and of course we all want better mids, better bass, overall better sound quality. But these days i think that we also MUST need a good looking speaker. Not as fancy as a Paradigm studio/sig. line but at this time the few point who's actually been discuss is for me really important.

1.Hex screws should be a little recessed on the speakers to give a cleaner look.
2.Top and bottom speakers on the QS should be flushed with the speaker body.
3.Towers should come with the option of outriggers.
5.Brushed stainless steel logo on speakers.

All those ideas are for me a really good way to put Axiom in the big line (#5 for me is the most important). Not only for the "best bang for the buck speaker" as everyone know. But a unique looking product, simple, that will have his own style and will suit a room.

I always have in mind the 800 line from Focal, i've own the 826V Moka and all i can say is wow, what a good looking speaker instead of wow what a big speaker like my M80 were.

Just my opinion.

Phil

Phil, unfortunately, with the brands you mentioned, you pay a pretty hefty premium for those impressive looks. Quite frankly, in my stable of speakers,I have M80s, M3s and M22s in the custom "High Gloss" black. For my taste anyway, there is not too many manufacturers around that look better than these especially for the money.

The only recommendation for me personally would be to change the color of the speakers to black. With the new magnetic grills with no holes and a cleaner look and especially with fancier cabinetry, if you choose to leave the grills off, the black speakers would be somewhat less distracting than the current white.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/24/11 06:42 PM
Originally Posted By: casey01

Phil, unfortunately, with the brands you mentioned, you pay a pretty hefty premium for those impressive looks. Quite frankly, in my stable of speakers,I have M80s, M3s and M22s in the custom "High Gloss" black. For my taste anyway, there is not too many manufacturers around that look better than these especially for the money.

This is very true. if you compair the bowers-wilkins CM1's to the Axiom M2's. Both speakers look pretty similar on paper.. However, the CM1's do have a much more refined look. the hex screws are counter sunk, all Stainless steel fittings/woofer tweeter housing, kevlar woofer...

However, the Axoim M2 costs 316$ each, while the bowers-wilkins CM1's cost 500$ each... sure there are some differences in materials used.. but would YOU be willing to pay an extra 200$ish for looks/ possibly some sound quality difference?

and the SQ topic is COMPLETELY up to the individual.

on a side not, i do not think it is fair that people are bringing up

that is like saying you want hard wood planks the same size as a sheet of plywood for the price of plywood... there are resource constraints at work here, and i don't think that this is a practical request. I think a more reasonable request would be

Real wood finishes for a FAIR price.

I don't know if anyone here has been keeping track of the price of wood.. but though my DIY experiences around the house.. The cost of a pine 2X4X8 has doubled in the last year and a half or so.... i would bet the price of vinyl finishes have also increased... if this is the case, then Axiom(Ian) is already not making as much profit as they/he use to at a given price point.

I do like the outrigger idea, i would bet axiom already has the tools that could machine aluminum, my guess it they would just need to buy some different bits.. So a capital expense of a few grand and this could be a reality, and 1 or 2 employees, and this could be a reality... So Ian, i recommend outriggers to help the global economy, buy axiom hiring a couple more people laugh
Posted By: zuter Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 12:16 AM
I'm in favor of a cabinet redesign. So much so that after reading this post I did just that in Sketch-up - a little freeware 3D program that's dead simple to use. I added curves and out riggers while keeping the overall shape consistent with Axioms own. Just made them "sexier"!

Unfortunately I don't know how to add them to my post? Since I don't do Facebook or anything like that I can't share them.

Perhaps Axiom could run a contest where we could submit our designs and ideas and the winner(s) would receive a gift as a reward.

What do you think...Axiom? Sounds like fun to me!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 12:55 AM
Save the file as a jpg and then you can post it here as a picture.

Sketch up is fun and fairly powerful for freeware.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 04:26 AM
Originally Posted By: zuter
I'm in favor of a cabinet redesign. So much so that after reading this post I did just that in Sketch-up - a little freeware 3D program that's dead simple to use. I added curves and out riggers while keeping the overall shape consistent with Axioms own. Just made them "sexier"!

Unfortunately I don't know how to add them to my post? Since I don't do Facebook or anything like that I can't share them.

Perhaps Axiom could run a contest where we could submit our designs and ideas and the winner(s) would receive a gift as a reward.

What do you think...Axiom? Sounds like fun to me!

The problem with this is... It's hard to tell how they will sound... Form following function... to tell if they would perform well, axiom would have to manufacture a speaker and test it.. Right now Axiom has a design that sounds good and looks decent. I think there would have to be a pretty strong motivating force to justify the R&D expense in a new design. Something like 3-4 quarters of loosing market share, or something of that nature.

But then again, i think Axiom underestimated the demand for the VP-180 initially. So Zuter you could be on to something... Redesign= greater market share?
Posted By: zuter Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 03:31 PM
These are all good points. I'm not suggesting they actually use any of our ideas. They/we rate them in a contest for the owners/fans and award prizes for the best and/or highest rated suggestions. As stated in their newsletter they are customer driver and use our input to enhance or create new designs.

Many in this forum exhibit great insight through their ideas/posts...why not kick this up a notch!
Posted By: zuter Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 04:07 PM
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=355501#comments

Not sure if this is how you meant to do this but here is my re-design.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Originally Posted By: casey01

This is very true. if you compair the bowers-wilkins CM1's to the Axiom M2's. Both speakers look pretty similar on paper.. However, the CM1's do have a much more refined look. the hex screws are counter sunk, all Stainless steel fittings/woofer tweeter housing, kevlar woofer...

However, the Axoim M2 costs 316$ each, while the bowers-wilkins CM1's cost 500$ each... sure there are some differences in materials used.. but would YOU be willing to pay an extra 200$ish for looks/ possibly some sound quality difference?

and the SQ topic is COMPLETELY up to the individual.

on a side not, i do not think it is fair that people are bringing up

that is like saying you want hard wood planks the same size as a sheet of plywood for the price of plywood... there are resource constraints at work here, and i don't think that this is a practical request. I think a more reasonable request would be

Real wood finishes for a FAIR price.

I don't know if anyone here has been keeping track of the price of wood.. but though my DIY experiences around the house.. The cost of a pine 2X4X8 has doubled in the last year and a half or so.... i would bet the price of vinyl finishes have also increased... if this is the case, then Axiom(Ian) is already not making as much profit as they/he use to at a given price point.

I do like the outrigger idea, i would bet axiom already has the tools that could machine aluminum, my guess it they would just need to buy some different bits.. So a capital expense of a few grand and this could be a reality, and 1 or 2 employees, and this could be a reality... So Ian, i recommend outriggers to help the global economy, buy axiom hiring a couple more people laugh

Just a little note here with respect to the B&Ws and comparing them to the Axiom models. Except for the top of the line 800 series, most of the their(B&W) models, although of UK design, are now manufactured in China as compared to Canada for the Axioms. This has, perhaps, allowed B&W to close that price gap somewhat on their less expensive lines than otherwise probably would have not been the case in the past.
Posted By: Philippe Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 08:46 PM
Well it's a funny thing that you talked about the comparaison between the Axiom and the B&W. I have side by side compare the M3 vs the CM5. Axiom is a great sounding speaker no doubt but the CM5 is actually a way better bookshelf in every area. Now i smile everytime i see people saying that this M3 is as good as any bookshelf out there. Are you considering spending the extra money to get a better sounds/looking. You guys are the only one to know.

I had the pleasure to compare those following model.

Axiom M3 V2
Focal 806V
Usher X-718
Von Schweikert VR-1
B&W CM5

As you can see the Axiom is the less expensive bookshelf and by far and yes, it related his performance in the lot. Always depend on what Axiom want. A very low cost product (best bang for the buck products) Or, upgrade thier sound/looking for a cost of course.

But i do thrust Ian and Axiom. The have thier signature of thier own.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 09:03 PM
I don't know if I would say the B&W is a WAY better speaker than the M3 without adding "in my opinion".

An M3 (slightly) bested a B&W in blind listening tests at the Axiom get together last year.

It could be argued that the majority of listeners, being Axiom owners, have a preference for that particular sound, but I disagree with the B&Ws being "way" better.
Posted By: Philippe Re: Improving Axioms - 09/25/11 10:36 PM
Indeed Marc you are right, in my opinion...
No matter the test people do i think there's always lot of factor to consider. Room, equipment, etc.
Anyway maybe you found the blind test at Axiom showed you that b&w isn't that "superior" as Axiom. But i found in my test a real difference. Being said, Axiom M3 still a great bookshelf for the value.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Improving Axioms - 09/26/11 12:12 AM
a little food for thought here:
http://www.gizmag.com/cabasse-la-sphere-4-way-point-source-speakers/12539/
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Improving Axioms - 09/29/11 08:27 PM
Quote:

Actually, the M2's cost $316 per pair, not each. So, a comparison should be considered for a $700-ish cost difference.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Improving Axioms - 09/30/11 02:44 AM
yeah, i guess your right Spoiler... I think i got side tracked with the unit costs of B&W's and didn't think about axiom listing their speakers by the pair..
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Improving Axioms - 10/03/11 07:12 PM
To say that I'm excited about a professional studio monitor from Axiom is an understatement! smile

My suggestion is to keep it simple.

Nearfield as opposed to midfield. 6.5 woofer. Powered/bi-amped (possibly D amplification?) and flat and accurate.

If Axiom could bring out a studio monitor in the $1200.00/$1400.00 (pair) range that has the same value/performance as their home audio speakers, you could shake up the industry big time.
© Axiom Message Boards