Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 01:16 AM
Hey guys,

My sister and I are having a surprise 40th anniversary party on the 30th for my parents. The hall we've rented holds 80 people, is 1400 sq. ft., and my sister said it has a vaulted ceiling.

I'm taking my Denon 3801 and M80's, but I'm wondering if my EP500 would be powerful enough to fill that large of a room, and whether or not I'll need my Emotiva RPA-1 (I'm thinking yes)?

If the RPA-1 (300 watts/channel) still won't be enough juice, I could probably rent a pro amp, but I really don't want the added expense.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cam
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 01:49 AM
Cam, first let me say that it's great that you and your sister are doing that for your folks. How're you gonna "surprise" them into that hall?

As to the sound levels, of course your equipment can "fill" the hall with some level of sound even at the farthest points. For example, if the farthest listener is about 40' away, rather than the 10' more typical of home listening, the level there would be about 6dB lower than at 10'. The RPA-1 would have a maximum output about 3dB greater than the 3801(double the power)and this would partly compensate at the farthest listening spot. My thought is if levels aren't to be employed which would deafen the guests(as well as your parents)your M80s, EP500 and RPA-1 would be enough to assure a musically enjoyable time.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 11:44 AM
Thank you very much for your input, John. Now to get someone to move my EP500.

What we're doing, is Tammy is going to pick up my parents for dinner, and tell them that I'm at the hall for a function with Aislinn (a friend). When they get there to "pick me up for dinner", she's going to tell them that I need help getting out the door. They'll come to assist, and voila - *SURPRISE!*. smile
Posted By: Murph Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 12:24 PM
That's awesome Cam. I really enjoyed meeting your family at the Axiom bash. Please pass on my congratulations!
Posted By: casey01 Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Hey guys,

My sister and I are having a surprise 40th anniversary party on the 30th for my parents. The hall we've rented holds 80 people, is 1400 sq. ft., and my sister said it has a vaulted ceiling.

I'm taking my Denon 3801 and M80's, but I'm wondering if my EP500 would be powerful enough to fill that large of a room, and whether or not I'll need my Emotiva RPA-1 (I'm thinking yes)?

If the RPA-1 (300 watts/channel) still won't be enough juice, I could probably rent a pro amp, but I really don't want the added expense.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cam

Since the room is no bigger and probably smaller than most HT rooms of many of the members on this forum, no problem at all for any of the equipment you are contemplating taking for the party. You will have plenty of pop and a better sound too.

Keep in mind that if you were comparing yourself to a DJ, they tend to use PA systems to play their music which are really not designed for that purpose and even the largest PA monitors don't go much below 50-60HZ anyway. They use them because PA systems, even more powerful ones, are pretty cheap to buy today, somewhat more portable and considerably less expensive than a quality audio system like yours.

Your EP500, especially, will be a significant bonus in sound.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 03:29 PM
You guys have HT rooms only a titch bigger than my entire house? I hate you.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
That's awesome Cam. I really enjoyed meeting your family at the Axiom bash. Please pass on my congratulations!

The feeling was mutual, bud. I'll pass along your congratulations; they'll like that.

Wait, we can get you and Sharon here. Oh yes we can!

Originally Posted By: casey01

Since the room is no bigger and probably smaller than most HT rooms of many of the members on this forum, no problem at all for any of the equipment you are contemplating taking for the party. You will have plenty of pop and a better sound too.

Keep in mind that if you were comparing yourself to a DJ, they tend to use PA systems to play their music which are really not designed for that purpose and even the largest PA monitors don't go much below 50-60HZ anyway. They use them because PA systems, even more powerful ones, are pretty cheap to buy today, somewhat more portable and considerably less expensive than a quality audio system like yours.

Your EP500, especially, will be a significant bonus in sound.

Thanks Casey.

Cheers, dude.

Originally Posted By: Ken.C
You guys have HT rooms only a titch bigger than my entire house? I hate you.

smile
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/20/11 10:49 PM
put the sub in the corner to get the best BOOOOOOOOM affect across all nodes, lol
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 01:07 AM
Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical about using HT equipment in a room that big. It's going to take a lot of power to fill. Sorry to be the naysayer. I think the Emotiva might be a pretty good idea. I mean, if we're talking vaulted ceilings, maybe estimate that as average height 12 ft, that's 16800 cubic feet to fill.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 01:19 AM
Cam, nice touch! Met your family (and caregiver) and everyone was just way too nice. Apparently you spent most of your time swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool! laugh

Please give them my best wishes & congrats at the event. My bride and I celebrated our 40th this past August.

Also, you probably have time to get Chesseroo and some of that clear liquid brain destroyer he drank at Axiom. Pretty cheap entertainment.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical about using HT equipment in a room that big. It's going to take a lot of power to fill. Sorry to be the naysayer. I think the Emotiva might be a pretty good idea. I mean, if we're talking vaulted ceilings, maybe estimate that as average height 12 ft, that's 16800 cubic feet to fill.

Hey, I appreciate the feedback. You're thinking a pro amp and no EP500 because it'll make little difference, Ken?

I'm setting everything up the afternoon of the party, so I have to be sure everything will be sufficient.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Ray3
Please give them my best wishes & congrats at the event.

Will do, Ray; thank you.
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 02:54 AM
Cam, rooms can't be "filled"(wish we would get rid of that term)with equal levels at all locations. Your present equipment should be fine. Have an "enforcer" available to throttle any guest who'd try to "crank it".
Posted By: Murph Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 12:04 PM

Wait, we can get you and Sharon here. Oh yes we can!

Hmmmmm? Intrigued for sure.
I wish I could but it's unlikely. Stupid scientists. Not inventing teleportation yet. What's wrong with you guys???
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 12:56 PM
They're all on the beach playing volleyball.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 01:36 PM
I imagine the EP500 would do something, but it's probably not going to fill the hall with booming bass.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 01:50 PM
I think the biggest determination is whether you plan on playing contemporary music for dancing (read: Loud), music for the older folks to dance (read: Moderate) or background music for socializing (read: Soft).
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 01:59 PM
I was thinking that I could take my Paradigm Monitor 9's and run them off the receiver, whilst using the RPA-1 for my M80's. Those four speakers should be easily enough. Not that I don't trust the advice that the M80's alone would be sufficient. It would just ease my mind.

Whatcha' fellas think?

Thanks
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 02:22 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I think the biggest determination is whether you plan on playing contemporary music for dancing (read: Loud), music for the older folks to dance (read: Moderate) or background music for socializing (read: Soft).

Mark, you make a very relevant point, and the answer is that the majority of music is the latter two. We've chosen mostly oldies, but there is at least a dozen more recent dancing songs from artists like the Eagles, Dire Straits, Joe Cocker, and Tom Petty etc.

Thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 02:45 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. The more drivers, the better.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 05:53 PM

I wish I could but it's unlikely. Stupid scientists. Not inventing teleportation yet. What's wrong with you guys???

Scientists have actually teleported photons (over a short distance). If you can drop enough mass, they can teleport you, too. smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

Scientists have actually teleported photons (over a short distance). If you can drop enough mass, they can teleport you, too. smile

But I doubt that they would be able to put all the particles back together in the right places.
Posted By: Murph Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 07:07 PM
Yes. I actually was aware of that particular experiment. I was curious to know who would bring it up.

It was a single photon and although I'm all for healthy dieting, a photon has no intrinsic mass on it's own so I'd effectively have to fast my way down to zero.

Plus, I'd have to give up beer.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 07:55 PM
Yes. I actually was aware of that particular experiment. I was curious to know who would bring it up.

(Gets in your face) ARE YOU CALLING ME A NERD?!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/21/11 07:56 PM
You would certainly be lighter.

Get it?

Lighter?
Posted By: Murph Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 09/22/11 11:49 AM
Is see my macro-photonic, aggravation and bad pun inducing, scatter-ray projector experiment is producing some interesting results.

Now to see what the control group will have to say?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/01/11 05:04 PM
Well, everything went great last night. I was surprised how little I had to turn it up to have sufficient volume.

One of my friends is a professional DJ, and he lent my a Peavey mixer, which was much simpler than hauling my receiver and amp.

Something I'm REALLY frustrated with is when said friend came over to set me up with his mixer etc., he brought my subwoofer up from my basement to test it. When he loaded it into my elevator, there was a loud bang. I asked his if he dropped it in the elevator. and he said "no, I just tripped". I thought it was an odd response, and didn't believe him.

After I got up yesterday morning, I took a quick gander at my sub, and the front right corner is busted up mad .

It's most frustrating because he lied to me. I talked to my best friend about it and he asked if I was going to confront him, and I said yes; although I'm miffed at how to go about it.

Hell, he drives a Hummer H3, so he can easily afford to repair it.
Posted By: CV Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/01/11 05:28 PM
I'm glad the event went well, but yeah, that sucks! What a friend.
Posted By: jakewash Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/01/11 07:10 PM
Just because he drives an H3 doesn't necessarily mean he can afford anything else other than said H3 wink
Posted By: Murph Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/03/11 04:28 PM
But I'd still confront him. Afford it or not, an apology is at least deserved as a bare minimum if he is truly a friend.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/04/11 09:24 PM
He came over to pick up his stuff yesterday. I didn't mention anything to him, but I know that he "knows" he did something wrong because he was extremely awkward around me, and was in and out.

I'm going to give him a week or two to see if he'll call and apologize (which is easier than face-to-face). If not, I'll contact him.

I wouldn't deceive anyone-let alone a friend-,yet this is commonplace with me.

I just let a caregiver take three months off over the summer to go to Australia, and thus hired someone as a temp for the aforementioned duration. When she got back, I talked to her about starting again, but she wasn't going to until school started (another three weeks). So I acquiesced, then contacted her when school started, and, she said she couldn't work because her curriculum is too demanding. She worked two hours a week, and one weekend a month....BS!

PEOPLE ERRRRRRRR!

Sorry for the rant, but it helped.
Posted By: Murph Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/05/11 02:01 PM
Rant away, my friend. Rant away.
Posted By: BobKay Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/05/11 02:14 PM
He came over to pick up his stuff yesterday. I didn't mention anything to him, but I know that he "knows" he did something wrong because he was extremely awkward around me, and was in and out.

I'm going to give him a week or two to see if he'll call and apologize (which is easier than face-to-face). If not, I'll contact him.

I wouldn't deceive anyone-let alone a friend-,yet this is commonplace with me.

I just let a caregiver take three months off over the summer to go to Australia, and thus hired someone as a temp for the aforementioned duration. When she got back, I talked to her about starting again, but she wasn't going to until school started (another three weeks). So I acquiesced, then contacted her when school started, and, she said she couldn't work because her curriculum is too demanding. She worked two hours a week, and one weekend a month....BS!

PEOPLE ERRRRRRRR!

Sorry for the rant, but it helped.

You know, Cam, for less than one thousand dollars, you could send her on a "vacation" to Mexico AND have her killed. I know some peeps in El Paso that give discounts. Or, you could just send her to Aruba and hope the for usual.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/05/11 05:09 PM

Posted By: davidsch Re: EP500 work at a hall? - 10/05/11 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

I would have thought for sure his slogan would be "Stay randy, my friends".
© Axiom Message Boards