Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Choo Axiom M80s / VP180s and dedicated amplifiers - 10/23/11 02:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what type of dedicated "budget buy" amplifiers are best with the Axiom speakers, specifically M80s and VP180s. In my brief research, I am currently thinking about the following companies:

Emotiva
Outlaw
Anthem

At first I was really leaning towards the Emotiva brand, but I have read a couple dated postings on the internet that there may be a compatibility issue with the Emotiva's and Axiom. Here is an example: http://emonatics.com/M80XPA-2.shtml

Any suggestions on dedicated budget buy amps that work well with Axiom's would be a huge help to me.

Thanks!!!
I run my m80v2's with a xpa5 and have never had a shutdown.
Emotiva and Axiom both make great products.
Seems like the problems were early in the relationship. Don't seem to hear about shutdowns much anymore.

I'll add from memory it was the mps and xpa2 amps that were shutting down.
Out of your three, my vote is for Anthem.
I like Outlaw, curious if you will be using an AVR or a Preamp, many are very satisfied with an AVR.
I have the Outlaw for my setup. Couldn't be happier...well I could use a nice pre/pro but that's another story. I originally had access to a Bryston amp which confirmed the need of better power over my AVR alone. I'm not knocking AVR's just that not all are created equal.

Any of the amps you listed would be fine. The 80's shine with lots of power!
Choo, welcome. You don't make clear your reference to a "dedicated" amplifier. Most Axiom users, including those with M80s, are successfully using one of the high quality receivers which are available at moderate cost and are of course just as "dedicated". You should consider one of the Onkyo or Denon factory refurbished units available in the $500-$800 area.
Choo, how much are you looking to spend?

I have a couple Krell amps powering my system... I was able to get them pre-owned for a decent price.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/krell-industries-kav-250a-and-kav-250a3

these are the amps i have... 500W@4 ohms All day long.. depending on what you are looking for, and how patient you are, you can get a recently serviced amp.

I don't know how you feel about pre-owned stuff, but this would be my recommendation...

You can expect to pay in the ballpark of 1,000-1,500$ each for these amps... i guess it depends on what your definition of "budget buy" is... they are currently going for 1/2 to 1/4 of their original retail price...
Posted By: Wid Re: Axiom M80s / VP180s and dedicated amplifiers - 10/24/11 10:59 AM

I've been using a Rotel RB1080 with my M80s now for 8 years. It's what I would consider a budget amp as it was around 1K when bought new.
© Axiom Message Boards