Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Karenna QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 12/27/11 07:06 PM
I USED to have my lovely QS8v2's standing on FMS-QS's. Everything was fine until the rugrats learned that knocking them over is oh-so-much-fun mad Thankfully, no injuries to the wee ones, or the speakers.

However, my husband has determined that they need to be wall/ceiling mounted, away from danger.

So, my first question is: which method should I use? I don't have the original wall brackets anymore, so I need to buy some of the wall or ceiling versions. Will either of those work with the v2's? Which is 'better'?

2nd question is, what is a good height to hang, if on-wall? Due to a wall oddity, I only have 16" of wall from the ceiling down. That would give about 7" from the top of the QS8 to the ceiling...is that enough?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 12/27/11 07:14 PM
You might be able to buy some T brackets from Axiom--they might have some left. As for the full metal brackets, I think unless you know you want to mount them from the ceiling, the wall ones are better. The ceiling brackets leave very little space for the top woofer.
Posted By: jakewash Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 12/28/11 12:22 AM
That amunt of space is more than enough for the QS to 'breathe' I would opt for the original 'T' bracket first and if Axiom is unable to supply you with them I would get the Full Metal Bracket, these work very well. The Ceiling bracket works but leaves the bare minimum from the ceiling, about 3".
Posted By: Nick B Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 12/30/11 04:07 PM
The ceiling bracket is nice if you have a doorway or window to contend with and cannot mount them on the wall. I have ceiling mounts because I have both issues, in my living room, with 8 ft ceilings, and they work great. Even though there is only 3" of breathing room, I do not notice any acoustical differences compared to when I had the speakers wall mounted in a different orientation.

But, with 16 ft ceilings I definitely would not want to ceiling mount the speakers. They would not sound that great coming from way above you (not to mention the difficulties of trying to mount them that high anyways). So, Karena I agree with the other two, go with the wall mount.
Posted By: Karenna Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 12/31/11 01:04 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated!
I'll give the boys at Ax a call tomorrow, and see what they can do wink
Posted By: solarrdadd Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 12/31/11 01:13 AM
i have 4 QS8v2 speakers in my 7.1 system. 2 for surrounds and 2 for surround backs and they all work great. they are all placed based on a height of 3' from my seated listening position; all 4 speakers are that height. they are all mounted on the walls and work out incredibly well. the rears are 15' away from the sides and the effects are magical in 7.1 movies or matrixed 5.1 movies.

the two side surrounds use the T-brackets for mounting

the two rear surrounds use the power mounting brackets

here is a shot of 3 of the 4 speakers mounted in place. they look nice and they sound great on the wall. due to the construction of the walls and it's an old house i used surface molding and it came out really good. they generate an incredible sound field at the height they are mounted and really give the illusion of hugh open space. i don't think they need to be mounted much higher than 3' or so above your ear level in the listening position.

best of luck with whatever you do. please throw some pictures up when you do mount them as i'm sure folks would want to see it.
Posted By: J. B. Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 12/31/11 12:37 PM
a bit OT, solarrdadd, but please tell me the reason you have 2 Oppos.
Posted By: Karenna Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 01/02/12 11:50 PM
I talked to the folks on Sat, and unfortunately, they're out of T brackets for the v2's. They suggested trying a drywall J bead, cut down to shape.

Any other thoughts for a home made version?

Anyone have any issues with the FMB's, if I end up going that route?
Posted By: jakewash Re: QS8v2 on-wall mounting advice - 01/03/12 03:01 AM
The FMB's work great just more expensive than the 'T' brackets. I had my 3 QS8's mounted via FMB's and never had an issue with either of them.
© Axiom Message Boards