Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gwg sub upgrade - 12/28/11 02:12 PM
just wondering what I should consider for my next sub.
currently have the hsu vtf mk2.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: sub upgrade - 12/28/11 04:24 PM
What are your goals? To have a 2nd sub, or replace the MK2 completely? Music? Movies?

Just a few more details, and some advice will start flowing. smile
Posted By: terzaghi Re: sub upgrade - 12/28/11 04:32 PM
No details needed. get an ep800 wink
Posted By: gwg Re: sub upgrade - 12/28/11 10:36 PM
I plan on selling the hsu.music is very important to me but I still would like to have decent output for movies.70 percent music.
Posted By: Wid Re: sub upgrade - 12/28/11 10:53 PM

What is the budget?
Posted By: gwg Re: sub upgrade - 12/29/11 02:17 AM
1200 canadian dollars
Posted By: JohnK Re: sub upgrade - 12/29/11 03:10 AM
You didn't specify whether you now have a VTF-3 MK2 or a VTF-2 MK2. Especially if it's the VTF-3, you might consider keeping it and getting a second sub as similar as possible to it. This would increase the net output available and probably more importantly, if properly placed would help smooth the bass response by minimizing the effect of room modes. The general suggestion from the research of Dr. Toole and others is placement at the mid-points of opposite side walls or front and back wall or in diagonally opposite corners.

For example, the Hsu VTF-1 could be added to the VTF-2 MK2, or the VTF-2 MK4 to the VTF-3 MK2. Your budget would of course also support some excellent single subs, such as the Axiom EP500 I use or the Hsu ULS-15.
Posted By: jakewash Re: sub upgrade - 12/29/11 06:59 AM
Personally I find Axiom subs to better for music and do a very admirable job for movies. They have a certain richness/texture many other subs do not and it is this feel that IMO makes them more musical, YMMV.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: sub upgrade - 12/30/11 03:40 PM

Agreed Mr Wash! I now use my EP500 in my computer room for gaming and music. As excellent and powerful as the PB-13 is, I still sense as you do a unique rich musicality from this sub that is enjoyable.
© Axiom Message Boards