Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Adelin Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 11:55 AM
Hello,
I'm searshing on internet informations on amps like the xpa-2 from emotiva or any outlaw amps, rotel ,sherwood ,Atoll, naim ones...
All at range between 1-1000 euros max.

Then i found this:
If look at http://emonatics.com/M80XPA-2.shtml

So i should avoid Emotiva with m80v3 or does it apply to m80 v1 only ?

I'm really pleased with m 80"s speackers my harman hk675 won't even enter in protection mode if i don't use bass and trebble management. so i'm ok for a while.

It's just i don't want to make a mistake if i choose another amp.
Posted By: Wid Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 12:02 PM

There has been reports of this but not recently that I can recall. The Outlaw mono blocks have no problem with the M80s nor does Rotel which is what I use.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 12:06 PM
Oh thanks.
I just found an axiom topic by searshing for Xpa-2 instead of emotiva.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 12:15 PM
It has been some time since I've heard of anyone having issues driving the M80's with newer Emo gear. I was one of the people that had issues with their older "top of the hill" MPS-1 amp shutting down with my M80v2's at only moderate listening. It would normally happen during music passages with a temporary rise in about 10dB's, or during action movies. I never had a problem with my Odyssey Extremes, or current Outlaw amp.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 12:46 PM
I'm really tempted by an integrated 225 by Anthem.

I called a french vendor in paris.
he told me it was really a nice amp that is well built and handle 4ohms perfectly.
but with taxes +other fee it's sold 1700e for a product that can be found for 996 dollars.

it's same price than m80 1380e base price 16xx e vat+other fee.
on import.

But it could worth it ...

Most sellers ask me wich speackers i do own.I terll them axioms it sound like paradigm studio 100.
Just they dunno about it and they tell me amp i'm looking for are all sounding differents and i should know which type of sound i need...

Wow i thought amps had to be as much neutral as possible now they sound all differents ? ok sorry i give up frown
Posted By: Wid Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 01:02 PM

Sounds to me they are just trying sell their own wares. Pick an amp in your price range with the power you want. It's that simple.

If it were me I'd give Outlaw a serious look. If you can get Rotel where you live look at them too.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 01:12 PM
Yes that's what i was thinking.

another store: Magma 1690 euros instead of 2390e

I'm looking at outlaw amps i just see one monobloc :
Model 2200 M-Block Amplifier.

They have 5.1 amp but no stereo. maybe not looking at the right website.

I still need an adapter france is not same voltage lol

Posted By: Wid Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 01:30 PM

The mono blocks are the ones, just get two. You would need a voltage converter even with the Emotiva, right?
Posted By: Jc Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 01:31 PM
Adelin,

I personally know a few customers using recent Emotiva amplifier models to power Axiom 4 Ohm Impedance rated speakers and they have no problem. The latest XPA Series seem to be more reliable.

The Outlaw mono-block - clik here - Outlaw
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 02:21 PM
Im running an Emo xpa-3 and have not had any trouble with at all. Runs nice and cool.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 02:32 PM

There are nice mono or stereo blocs for sure.
But i will come back to integrated amps.

on forums with studio 100: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A V2
Naim Nait 5i
nad.

Is it a good alternative with axiom speackers under 1000$ price if i'm looking for an integrated ?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 02:34 PM
You can also see in this big picture http://www.outlawaudio.com/images/2200-rear-huge.jpg that the M-2200 can run on 230v@50Hz. So all you need is a power cable, and a flip of a switch, no actual voltage converter. Oh, looks like you need to replace the fuse too.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 02:51 PM
Oh thanks for digging info smile

I just look at the pic is it a red switch with voltage function ?

I download the pdf:

115v/60HZ
230v/50hz
600w

t5al 250v
for 115v

T2.5al 250v for 230v

I'm almost sure i can use it in france without any risk of fire^^

Just be cautionous about the 115v/230v switch lol

Humm i'm suspicious about which fuse it use.

I'm really interestead by those two monobloc but again i don't have place to put two mono bloc and a preamp frown

Posted By: Dduval Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 03:06 PM
Just my opinion, but I would never get an emo amp after the hell I went thru with my M80's v2 and an RPA-2 emo amp. No shut downs, just 2 complete failures. 2 new amps & both right channels blew.

I then got Odyssey Khartago mono-blocks and had no issues at insane SPL's. I now have a Marsh a400s amplifier designed by Richard Marsh and no issues at all. Very nice amp.

Even if I changed to 8 ohm speakers down the road, I just can't get past the parts I suspect they use to offer such low prices. You get what pay for.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 04:14 PM
Your Marsh stereo power bloc is a nice amp smile

45 pounds : what a beast lol
Posted By: Dduval Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 05:35 PM
Thank you, got lucky on audiogon and snagged it for dirt cheap.
The transformer in this thing is HUGE smile
I've pushed the Marsh very hard for awhile and it never even got the faintest bit warm...
Posted By: Dduval Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 05:41 PM
This pic just doesn't do it justice... smile

Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 06:28 PM
I agree you get what you pay for but we all have to live within our means. Every fledgling company has to start somewhere and make their line in the sand.A company slowly learns as it grows and if it doesnt learn it doesnt survive. Im not an emo fanboy but i think their amps are good value. Everything manmade is susceptible to failure. Just cause ford made the pinto doesnt mean the GT40 is a piece of crap.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/30/12 06:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Adelin
Humm i'm suspicious about which fuse it use.

It uses a 5 Amp fuse when running 115 volt, and a 2.5 Amp fuse at 230 volt. The 250 volt mentioned is the rating of the fuse (basically how many volts it's safe up to).

So it'd be a T2.5AL 250v fuse for you.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/31/12 01:50 AM
Adelin, you have it right, and if these salesmen are telling you that all these quality amplifiers(including your 675)"sound different", they're either uninformed or lying. Amplifiers should only add more voltage from their power supply section to make the weak incoming voltage strong enough to drive speakers at a comfortably loud level. If they do this with audibly flat frequency response and inaudibly low noise and distortion, they've done all that's possible for a amplifier to do, regardless of the specific details of technology that were employed. Any amplifier that adds a "sound" is either incompetently designed or defective.

Your comment about your 675 isn't clear. If it's fine even when running the speakers full-range without bass management, it'd be even easier if a sub was taking part of the low-bass burden off. So, it would seem that you're okay and not just "for a while", and have no need to spend money on a separate amplifier.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 03/31/12 11:01 AM
JohnK, sometimes when reading you i get the impression you're Bob Lee from QSC.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/01/12 05:15 PM
at JohnK:

It's only subjective:

Like if something is missing from my hk675.
It's not about bass , it won't overheat and around 40-50hz m80 are feed at best there is still sound pressure around 30-35hz.

But it's something that has to do with different audio volume settings.

when i turn the volume up or down,
i will distinguish mediums and trebbles on m80 drivers i know it's normal.
Tone/tonality won't change but i have a strange feeling.
It's surely not about distorsion.
I don't have words to describe it that's why i would like to test other amps just in case.

Off course i use direct source to cut the bass and trebble boost.

Maybe something is missing from the music message like if i was listening to a bad synth when volume increase past 30-40%...

It was even worth with my evo 40 from wharfedale.

One day i could loose half of the amp power on same song same volume setting , another day bass could be cut off.

Problem is solved buying axiom speackers input on m80 are good quality it save my life.

Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/02/12 02:27 PM
Hello,

I never use the bass and trebble volume but today i tryed it:
(i dislike this feature anyway)

At low lvl volume or medium (5 to 30%) my amp is going into protect mode after 15-30 seconds.

Does it mean something ?

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/02/12 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Adelin
Hello,

I never use the bass and trebble volume but today i tryed it:
(i dislike this feature anyway)

At low lvl volume or medium (5 to 30%) my amp is going into protect mode after 15-30 seconds.

Does it mean something ?

If it's cutting out at low volume it's usually caused by a short in the speaker wire. If you are using bare wire connections check the connection points and look for whiskers touching another wire or binding post. Inspect your wire for damage. House pets chewing the wire and running speaker wire under heavy objects can cause damage for instance.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/02/12 03:00 PM
i open the hk 675 there is a hk670 tone board this is this part that cause problem.

I use the bulk axiom cable and it's enough tight.

I have no problem listening music with bass around 30-50hz at 70% volume if i wanted to.

It's only the tone cardbox and bass feature.

On my sopundcard i set the output at -20dbfs even it won't work.

-2dbfs same.

I can only listen to music using source direct or any correction tone at middle or lower setting.

If i'm not wrong looking at the circuits, it look like the tone hk670 card is directly conected to the speacker joint board where i tight my speacker cable and the hk670 power circuit card.
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/02/12 03:36 PM
Ok ok it is really weird.

I tryed again to check at which % bass tone my amp will enter in protected mode.

Amp will shutdown (orange led.)

I start my amp again, switch to direct source,

Now bass and trebble is not the same.

It look like each time it enter in protect mode even if i passthrough the hk670 tone card, my amp will change tonality or bass volume...

Posted By: solarrdadd Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/02/12 09:30 PM
i currently use an emotiva XPA-5 to power a pair of M80v3's, a VP180v3 & a pair of QS8v3's with no problem and it barely gets warm, barely!

have had the amp for a couple of years with no problem other than having a frayed interconnect which blew a couple of fuses. replaced the interconnect RCA switched to XLR (by choice, wanted the lowest noise floor I could get, nothing to do with the fault) no problems since.
Posted By: markdar98 Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/02/12 11:14 PM
I have run my M80ti's on an XPA 3 and am currently running on an XPA 5 and have had no problems. A friend of mine ran his v2's on an XPA 2 that was modded from Emotiva and had no problems. I have been to Emotiva HQ a couple of times and they always seem like a quality company.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/03/12 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
It has been some time since I've heard of anyone having issues driving the M80's with newer Emo gear. I was one of the people that had issues with their older "top of the hill" MPS-1 amp shutting down with my M80v2's at only moderate listening. It would normally happen during music passages with a temporary rise in about 10dB's, or during action movies. I never had a problem with my Odyssey Extremes, or current Outlaw amp.

I'm on the other side of this equation. I've got an MPS-1 (plus the matching Emo pre-pro) and M80v2's and no issues like above.
Clean, clear and lots of head room. If they can ever deliver on their new pre-pro, I'm seroiusly considering it...

Scott
Posted By: Adelin Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/03/12 08:57 AM

I'm please emotiva amps run well with your speackers.
If problems happend it's surely the amp that need the repair not the speacker lol

Ok so one other amp on a future buy list.
Thanks for the answers.

Anyway my hk675 was heating too much with my evo 40 speackers 89db 1w/1m 250w. Even if rated at average 6ohms.

My amp is warm with the m80 but not hot even if i drive it at high volume.

I should have more difficulty to drive my old speackers with emotiva amps.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/03/12 05:49 PM
that is interesting Scott, didn't realize you had an MPS-1. The guy at Emo even sent me replacement module amps to try and same issue. Then he wanted me to remove/solder off some circuit/limiter from the mother board to resolve the issue, don't think so Lonnie Vaughan.
Posted By: Dduval Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/03/12 10:54 PM
that is interesting Scott, didn't realize you had an MPS-1. The guy at Emo even sent me replacement module amps to try and same issue. Then he wanted me to remove/solder off some circuit/limiter from the mother board to resolve the issue, don't think so Lonnie Vaughan.

That's funny Randy.

I heard that owners of version 2 M80's can actually call emo and request a mod. Apparently they will install a limiter of some sort to prevent problems. I guess it has been successful, but it just limits power from my understanding. Which is crazy IMHO. confused
Posted By: a401classic Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/04/12 11:41 AM

Hi Randy, dig way back in the memory banks... back to when I first started asking stupid questions like "can I mount a QS8 on the ceiling?" You had an MPS-1, and a at the time you we complimentary of Emotiva and their staff. Based on your recommendation, I ordered the entire set of "big dogs". I did have an amp module problem as well, but mine was a high pitched buzz, like a lit fuse. Lonnie said it was due to interference from a local microwave tower (!!?!???!?!!). Whatever, they sent me new amp modules and the buzz went away. We do have a large micro tower within eyeshot of the house, so maybe there was something to it.
Since then, the only issue I've had was that my EP500 kept blowing the little 250mA fuses. Through lots of reading here, I discovered that all XLR connections are not created equal - there are different voltages used. JC suggested that I go up to 1 A fuses, and I haven't had a problem since.
This is what led to my comment a couple of years ago that maybe the problem you were having with your MPS1 was due to the Denon AVR you use(d?). Not really so much a problem with one or the other, but more of a compatibility issue.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/04/12 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Dduval

That's funny Randy.

I heard that owners of version 2 M80's can actually call emo and request a mod. Apparently they will install a limiter of some sort to prevent problems. I guess it has been successful, but it just limits power from my understanding. Which is crazy IMHO. confused

Email Marsh and Onkyo. I'd bet both of these amplifiers have current limiter circuits built into them.
Posted By: Dduval Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/04/12 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

Email Marsh and Onkyo. I'd bet both of these amplifiers have current limiter circuits built into them.

I would agree with that. But I haven't heard anyone calling Onkyo, Marsh, Outlaw or any other MFG asking "hey, can you modify your product not to fail, because I have Axiom M80 speakers?"

Hell, who knows nowadays...
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/04/12 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Dduval
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

I would agree with that. But I haven't heard anyone calling Onkyo, Marsh, Outlaw or any other MFG asking "hey, can you modify your product not to fail, because I have Axiom M80 speakers?"

Hell, who knows nowadays...

I think the modification emotiva is referring to is adding a current limiter circuit to the amp if you have the M80's because they don't current limit their amps.

The other amps probably don't need that modification or run into the same issues as the Emotiva because they already have those current limiting protection circuits built into them.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/04/12 11:11 PM
Scott, now I remember, thanks for the trip down memory lane. wink
Posted By: a401classic Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/05/12 12:56 PM
Yeah, I know for you it wasn't a good one. I, for one, am happy with my Emo equipment.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Emotiva and m80 ? - 04/05/12 01:29 PM
I was really impressed with the build quality and look when I got my MPS1 and was very excited. It was just frustrating that my little Denon could drive my 80's to very loud, unclipping, levels, but the Emo would crap out at moderate levels. I'm glad that Emo seems to be putting out gear that is more compatible. I remember there was a guy that had some Rocket bookshelf speakers with the same problem... cheers
© Axiom Message Boards