Axiom Home Page
Posted By: claysae Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 07:37 PM
Hello, appreciate the help in advance. Just purchased a pair of QS8s for rear channels in a 5.1 setup. Attached image shows possible setup positions. Can anyone advise which would be the best option?

I guess I can always test both, even though I would like to not have to mount them twice. Didnt know if one was prefered over the other for these speakers.

Thanks.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/qs8placement.jpg/
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 07:39 PM
I would say that in the room would be the best position, rather than lined up behind the TV like that.

Sorry.

For 5.1, you want the red option, not the green.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 07:43 PM
red option.
Posted By: claysae Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 08:17 PM
Thanks, so it sounds like on the sides is the way to go. Should these be mounted at ear height or higher?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 08:23 PM
Higher is generally what's accepted, but it's up to you what sounds better.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 08:25 PM
I preferred mine to be halfway between my ears and the ceiling.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 09:31 PM
for me, it's about 2-2.5 ft higher than your ears (when seated at the LP); but if they're quite far from you, you can install them higher; i think it's mostly a matter of angle.
if they're too high, some directional sounds going to the surround will seem to be coming from too high in the room.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/04/12 10:48 PM
you can always test various options using a couple of step ladders before you permataly place them. I would prewire all locations, that way if you ever go 7.1, your ready to go. to answer your question for 5.1 you normally want them to the sides and I would say atleast 2-3 ft above ears when sitting, or higher. I used to have mine ceiling mounted and worked great.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/05/12 05:28 AM
As the others have said the Red option for 5.1 but I would add the green option later for 7.1, I think the second seating position would benefit greatly from the extra channels as it isn't in the sweet spot.
Posted By: claysae Re: Advice on QS8 speaker placement - 05/05/12 07:10 PM
Ah...and right when I was close to completing the system smile

So i guess for Christmas its one more sub and another pair of Qs8s!
© Axiom Message Boards