Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DPA Speaker opinions - 08/18/03 07:37 PM
I'm thinking of buying the Axiom M60ti or the Infinity Alpha 50. Has anyone here heard both and what did you think? I've read a thread where a person had auditioned both but did not do a direct comparison. By the way the equipment driving them will be an HK525 via an HKPA2000.
Posted By: DPA Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 02:04 AM
Wow, no one wants to take this one? I'm really liking what's been said and what I read about the M60's but I'm waiting to hear from those with first hand experience. How about this, the M60ti vs the Monitor Audio S6 or KEF Q5?
Posted By: curtis Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 02:11 AM
Actually, I am wondering what you are using the PA2000 for.
Posted By: DPA Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 02:18 AM
Extra punch for the front speakers, especially in stereo mode. Plus I got a great deal on it.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 03:43 AM
D, Kolbe(ZeN)auditioned the Alpha 50s about a month ago and liked them but went with M80s. He's not on the board at the moment, but might have an opinion for you.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 07:03 AM
I've heard both the Monitor Audio and M60's. I own the M60's now. Much clearer, much tighter bass, just overall better.
Posted By: sushi Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 07:05 AM
DPA,

There are a number of posts mentioning the Monitor Audios if you do a little forum search.
Posted By: ZeN Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 07:14 AM
DPA,
I may be the person that has heard both but not together, but here are my thoughts eitherway

I did like the infinities - they seemed to be a very good value for the money. Up to the point when I heard them, I had only heard other mass market speakers (polk, viena acoustics, klipsch, Energy, Paradigm, etc.)

After hearing the M60 and M80's though, I found no comparison. While clear, the infinities lacked the high end and mid range detail. They are a much more "laid back" speaker, and the M60/80 is a more "forward" or "bright" speaker.

My longish journey left me realizing that I liked the "brighter" sound quite a bit more than the "laid back" sound of many other speakers.

Obviously, your mileage may vary Have fun!
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 04:31 PM
I agree with spiffnme, in monitor audio vs. Axiom, Axiom wins hands down.
Posted By: DPA Re: Speaker opinions - 08/20/03 11:52 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback. Yes, I as well was not impressed with the Monitor Audio S6 nor the KEF Q5. I'm nearly convinced to go with the M60. I just need to hear the Infinity Alpha 50 in person.
Posted By: Aeromos Re: Speaker opinions - 08/25/03 03:08 AM
Hey DPA,

I can't really give you the direct comparison between the M60's, Monitor Audio's S6, and KEF's Q5 as I've auditioned different models. Here are my impressions of the models I've auditioned:

Monitor Audio's S8 and S10 - I was really impressed with these. These to my ears are very similar to the Axiom's in sound. However I wasn't able to put them through the same critical test with my own music, so I have to go back and do this. Reviewers have said that they tend to be bass heavy but I didn't find this as they are supplied with plugs for the ports in the back (for better bass control). Out of the three these are the most beautiful looking set.

KEF's Q7 - Very detailed, warm sound. Because of it's great off axis performance, it belts out a wide sound stage. However the sound is more laid back. KEF recently won a speaker comparison test in the August issue of WHAT HI-FI? magazine.

Axiom's M80 - Very detailed, dynamic, crisp and "forward" sound. The finish is still very attractive but at a very reasonable price. Did amazing with my own CD compilation from different genres. I am going back to have a 2nd audition.

For bang-for-the-buck, the Axiom's will probably beat most if not all its rivals. The performance they give you combined with unrivaled price point will be tough to beat. By the way I don't own any of these speakers. I'm also in the process of upgrading and right now am leaning towards the Axiom's.
Posted By: DPA Re: Speaker opinions - 08/25/03 08:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have a chance to buy a pair of Monitor Audio S8 for about the same price as the M60ti. So I've ordered a pair of M60's to try out and if I don't like them I'll send them back and purchase the S8's.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker opinions - 08/25/03 08:46 PM
Keep us posted. I'll be very surprised if you send the M60's back though.
Posted By: DPA Re: Speaker opinions - 08/26/03 09:48 PM
My M60s shipped today and should be here for me to hear on Friday. They would have shipped on Monday but there was a run on them this weekend and they were out until today. Must be a real popular speaker? Also, has anyone dealt with Amie Colquhoun? I've been thoroughly impressed with her and Axiom so far and haven't even heard their products yet.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker opinions - 08/26/03 10:11 PM
Amie Rocks!

-nuff said
Posted By: Pinoy Re: Speaker opinions - 08/27/03 09:52 PM
Amie is the "Queen of Customer Service". I have also talked with Joe and Alan both of whom are excellent customer service oriented techies.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speaker opinions - 08/27/03 09:54 PM
It's amazing how good customer service can be. I just wish computer companies would use the likes of Axiom and SVS as models...
Posted By: DPA Re: Speaker opinions - 08/28/03 11:30 PM
I was wrong. The speakers got here to Colorado from Canada on Wednesday. Wow! That was quick. I have the speakers hooked up and they sound prety good. I'm really interested how they sound when they're broke in. So far so good...
Posted By: HGP Re: Speaker opinions - 09/02/03 05:32 AM
Keep us posted.

Posted By: sushi Re: Speaker opinions - 09/02/03 06:17 AM
Hey, HGP my fellow Texan,

How about YOU keep us posted about your new SVS PB2-Plus? How is it behaving? Is your house still intact?
Posted By: HGP Re: Speaker opinions - 09/02/03 06:35 AM
Great memory Sushi! The PB2-Plus is fantastic. Definitely a keeper. The house is still intact (thanks in no small part to my SPL meter). The bass is incrediblely clean and responsive. I was just listening to another fellow Texan -- Steve Ray Vaughn -- and the bass on "Riveria Paradise" is phenomenal.
Posted By: DPA Re: Speaker opinions - 09/03/03 11:31 PM
Well it's been a week now and the speakers are beginning to loosen up and the SPL rating is now presenting itself. It's taking less power to produce acceptable listening volumes. The speakers have prominent highs but are easily tamed by reducing the treble boost. I've been very happy so far and they are sounding better as time progresses.
© Axiom Message Boards