Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Cohesion John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Awful! - 12/12/12 12:20 PM
I picked up a copy of this CD at an HMV for about $5. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed to find that the level of tape hiss present in the recording makes it very difficult to focus on the beautiful music itself.

Did I get the wrong release of this album? Is there a more recent reissue or remaster that is a big improvement? What about the SACD or HDTracks version?

I'm sure I've heard a truly greatsounding recording of the Coltrane and Hartman version of "My One and Only Love" on the digital cable Jazz channel. It must've come from this album right?
I've got a compilation - Coltrane for Lovers, or some such nonsense - that includes a good quality version of that song. I mean, I don't know that I've ever listened to it at reference volume, but at moderate volume or nearfield, I don't notice any hiss at all.
Posted By: Murph Re: John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Awful! - 12/12/12 05:17 PM
Coltraine for Lovers.......
Posted By: medic8r Re: John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Awful! - 12/12/12 08:13 PM
Wasn't the next CD in that series Ella Fitzgerald Says Always Put the Seat Down After You Pee?
I see you got the whole collection.
Posted By: Cohesion Re: John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Awful! - 12/13/12 02:19 AM
Thanks guys! Any thoughts on one of the Coltrane SACD's would also be appreciated. Is there merit in a multi-channel version?

How about Louis Armstrong's lesser known release: 'Don't Eat Yellow Snow'?
Posted By: AdrianD Re: John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Awful! - 12/13/12 12:40 PM
I've got "Blue Train" from HDTracks and it sounds very good; they also have (I believe) the album you're looking for: John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman.
Posted By: Murph Re: John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - Awful! - 12/13/12 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Wasn't the next CD in that series Ella Fitzgerald Says Always Put the Seat Down After You Pee?

WIN!!!
© Axiom Message Boards