Axiom Home Page
Hey guys, I require your assistance with picking out a new receiver for my bedroom, as my 3801 suddenly stopped working two weeks ago (I've tried resetting the microprocessor as per the instructions in the user manual, but the unit fails to turn on; the standby light just flashes continuously.)

I've only ever had Denon receivers, but I'm open to other manufacturers. I've taken a good look around, and I'm having a difficult time finding one that has comparable two channel output (140 X 2 @ 8 ohms) that isn't expensive. I do like to crank my music for extended periods of time, thus the reason I want something with tantamount wattage.

Also, I don't need stuff like Airplay, Sirius radio or 3D compatibility etc. Although, given that the TV in my bedroom is a passive 3D set, having a receiver that works in concert with it may prove to be beneficial in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Go with a lesser receiver and add an external used amp.
I bought an Anthem MCA 20 (stereo amp) and MCA 30 (3 channel amp) for about $250 and $400.
With a $400 receiver to act as a pre-amp, you are easily covered for power and features for under $800.
Less if you get a used receiver.

Audiogon and Canuck Audio Mart are good places to start for used gear.
Cam, the actual specs for the 3801 were 105 watts into 8 ohms and 140 watts into 6 ohms, a typical increase into the lower impedance. Also keep in mind that the difference between say 100 watts and 150 watts is only 1.76dB in maximum sound level(e.g., 105dB and 106.76dB at brief peaks). Any amplifiers in the 100-150 watt area can be considered "comparable" as far as power output goes, so don't pay too much attention to those numbers.

Power shouldn't be a major consideration, but of course new receivers have updated features in comparison to the 3801. I'd suggest that you consider units such as the Denon 2312 or Onkyo 709. For buyers in the U.S., factory refurbished units from sellers such as Accessories4less would be suggested, but they don't ship to Canada. Canadian prices remain somewhat mysterious to me, but relatively reasonable deals should be available.
From my experience, so far, the Pioneer gives you many more options to tweak the sound, whereas with Denon, your stuck with what Audyssy provides for you. It may be that the people that like Denon either turn Audyssey off, or their room works well with it.

You see a lot of complaints of Axiom speakers being overly bright in other forums. Now I'm of the opinion that might be complaints against Audyssey misdirected to Axiom.
Cat, you might have something there; however, I have my HT with M22's/QS4s, Sony CC & 2 Velo 10" subs calibrated with the Audyssey in my Denon AVR in a medium sized, irregularly shaped room. It sounds just fine to me & certainly not bright nor fatiguing by any means.

My 2 audio-only systems, one with M2s/EP-400 & the other with M3s are run just flat. Again not overly bright to me in my setting.

Once a myth or rumour gets started in the age of the net, it's impossible to quash it & the herd piles on. I see the same about the horns in Klipsches, but during my demos of them, I never found them to be as harsh or fatiguing as some people accuse them of being.

Maybe it's because I've been around screeching jet engines all my life. Each to his own I guess...

TAM
Thanks for the suggestions and information, guys. I'll let you know what I end up with (new or used).

Yeah, John, I was reading the dynamic power rating for two channels driven at 8 ohms.
Here's another opinion that might be more reasonable. Seeing that I need a new receiver, and I currently have a 3808CI in my home theater. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a 3313CI and swap them? It looks to me like the 3313CI is Denon's new equivalent (model wise) to the 3808CI. Albeit I'm quite confused how it's way cheaper. Am I missing something?

Thanks
The 3808 was a made in Japan model with (supposedly) better parts. I don't know what Denon makes in Japan these days, but that may account for some of the price difference.
I have stayed with Denon for years. This is an outstanding thread that covers all things Denon receiver for 2113 . He does this every year.
Thanks, Ray! Good ole' batpig. Sadly it doesn't look like the 3313 will drive a 4 ohm load. At least I haven't been able to find documentation confirming this. They only mention 8 and 6 here.
I just remembered that I have my RPA-1 driving my M80's, so whether it does or doesn't push a 4 ohm load isn't really important. Having not used my home theatre in over a year, I forgot what's down there frown.
I know this doesn't matter right now as you have an external amp but Denon has never published anything that states they can drive 4 ohm speakers; my midrange 1804 drove my M80s with out any troubles. The 38XX series died a few years ago, the 3808 was the last one, the true replacement was the 4311 then the 4312 and now I believe the only upper end Denon is the 45XX series every thing else is no longer in production. I would look to Onkyo for the best bang for the buck avr. Mojo recently purchased one himself(I don't recall the model), I shall be visiting him over the holidays to have a listen myself.
^^^^ This. Do a search on google and AVS. I'll bet you'll find there are no problems driving 4 ohms. If you aren't comfortable, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. also offer some pretty nice options.
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the Pioneer SC-1527-K? I just purchased it from Futureshop.ca last night for $1000 (regularly $1600). The main reason I did so was because of the savings (slightly cheaper than a 3313), but I also liked it's features. It look's like it's a very solid receiver.

This post online was one positive one I read - "I wouldn't care about 9.2, unless you have a huge room to fill with sound. Looks like both amps use Class D3 amps. Pretty much the same power output. 1527 has 192/32 DACs compared to 192/24, but 192/24 is still excellent. 1527 uses dual Aureus DSP chips for sound processing. Both use Marvell Qdeo for 1080p/24 video processing - great chipset. Both have pre-amp outs, which would be really important to me personally, as I run separate amps and just use receiver as a processor. They even weigh almost the same.

So if you have a really big room to fill, go with 1527. It also seems to have slightly better DSP chips. If you are sticking with 7.2, then I don't think you'll lose much with 1227.

[edit]1527 has dual HDMI outputs. It's beneficial if you're running projector and a TV, and don't want to switch cables."

Input is greatly appreciated. I can always return it if there's vast indifference about it.

Thanks

Edit - Something that's disconcerting is that I can only find a couple brief forum discussions about it; nothing from AVS pops up (edit - okay, I found a few, but nothing remotely significant). Any idea why?
This looks like the same as the Pioneer SC-65 that I'm wanting to get. The SC-1527-K must be the European version.
Hi Cam,
You'll have to decide on the feature set yourself, but looks like you got a good deal - my bro actually called me to ask about the same deal! I can say that I find the power output for the $ on these amps is very good (I have the older SC-05). There are always the usual religious debates on MCACC vs. Audyssey vs even doing room correction, so I am not going to touch that! whistle However I will say that the standing wave correction with 3 positions measured works very well in my room. The only thing I would point out on the Pio's is to check that it can do multiple X over points for different speakers. In my SC-05 I have to pick one global X over for my setup (can't do surrounds different than fronts). That may or may not matter to you. In fact I'd be interested to know if they have changed that in their design philosophy.

Anyway, FWIW my Pio has been going strong for 3-4 years know and has not given me a single issue.

Let us know what you think of it if you start to use it.

Cheers,
Dan, great to hear from ya. I don't like the EQ's (Audyssey or MCACC) and won't use them, so for me, that's not even a consideration in selecting a receiver.

I'll check the manual to see if it allows for separate crossovers.

Great info.

Thanks!
Well, the SC-1222-K doesn't allow for different crossovers, and according to this post (the discussion continues further down the thread) on AVS, this is uniform with Pioneer receivers. This isn't a big deal to me, but what are your thoughts on this, guys? Should it be?

Thanks
I would highly recommend you look at the Onkyo 818, just heard it at mojo's yesterday and I would say this unit is by far the best bang for the buck while boxing week sales are on, it is on sale around here for under $900.
Jay, I really like that receiver, but it's not available anywhere locally. BestBuy.ca sells it (albeit they're sold out), but we don't have a store in town that I could easily get it to for service etc.
Also, even if I could get it locally, I would only save $100. The Pio's and 818's features are very similar.
too bad, as you can tell I was very impressed by the 818. Lots of features with more hdmi inputs than I think anyone could ever want.
Originally Posted By: jakewash
too bad, as you can tell I was very impressed by the 818. Lots of features with more hdmi inputs than I think anyone could ever want.

Hey man, I know you'd set me in the right direction. If I didn't have the Pioneer, and had access to the 818, I would definitely get it.

I'm sure I'll need some help setting up my Pioneer, so don't hold this against me smile.

Say hi to Mojo for me.
An owners thread for the Pioneer Elite SC-65/SC-1527-K has been started on AVS (Cat may like smile ).

Apparently the SC-1527-K is a Future Shop Canada exclusive that is basically identical to the Elite SC-65 without the Elite badge and fancy lights.
I searched for that a few days ago and didn't find it. I see this was created yesterday.
Yeah. It was created in response to a thread with posts by another user and myself. We were seeking information/reviews for the SC-1527-K.
For anyone interested, here's a preview review of the Pioneer SC series.
I liked the sound from the Pioneer better than Denon. Can't wait to get the Pioneer 65 model so I can compare it to the Denon 3312ci.
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I liked the sound from the Pioneer better than Denon. Can't wait to get the Pioneer 65 model so I can compare it to the Denon 3312ci.

It's ironic you mentioned that, Cat. Reason being is that I came to the forum to inquire about the Pioneer's sound.

My query is this-I just got my new receiver hooked up in my bedroom (this is temporary), and the sound quality is far superior to my previous 3801. I've only watched a couple YouTube news clip video's, but the sound is so much crisper than what I was experiencing with my 3801. Would this be because of a failing receiver which ultimately broke down, processing within my new Pioneer receiver enhancing the audio, or something else?

Thanks.
Pioneer does come with many sound enhancing features, which I always turn off, except just to play with on occasion. I prefer the sound out of the pioneer, so in a case like this, it's like preaching to the choir. I got a lot more bass out of the Pioneer.
Pioneer does come with many sound enhancing features, which I always turn off, except just to play with on occasion. I prefer the sound out of the pioneer, so in a case like this, it's like preaching to the choir. I got a lot more bass out of the Pioneer.

Yeah, I just listened to a live concert recording on YouTube that I've listened to numerous times with my 3801, and it REALLY sounds different; I don't like it as much. I said crisp earlier, but it's quite tinny (similar to what Audyssey does to my Axioms). The playback is also severely lacking bass.

I'm assuming the processing is on by default and thus the causation? I haven't touched the menu...
It requires you to run MCACC first to set the equalizer settings.
Cat, do you (or anyone else) know how Pioneer gauges it's volume? I have it set to -12, as I did with my 3801, but the output is much lower. -12 was the same loudness on my 3801 and 3808. It was really my threshold for both (the 3801 was connected to my computer, so I set the receiver to -12 and adjusted the volume on my computer), but as aforementioned, the Pio's output isn't even close at the same volume rating.

Thanks

The manual states that "phase control" is on by default. Yea or nay?
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople

Not sure. Reading up on it says better sound with multiple speakers. Just try it on, them off, to see which you prefer.

Seems odd your not getting much power at -12. I get about the same decimal level with both Pioneer and Denon.

Edit: check to see if any dynamic volume control is on. That would do it.

Not sure. Reading up on it says better sound with multiple speakers. Just try it on, them off, to see which you prefer.

Seems odd your not getting much power at -12. I get about the same decimal level with both Pioneer and Denon.

Edit: check to see if any dynamic volume control is on. That would do it.

Good idea. I'll test the phase control once it's hooked up where it belongs.

I went into the receiver menu and changed to default speaker settings. It was set to fronts and surrounds "on", as well as "yes" for a subwoofer (which I don't have in my bedroom). It now sounds MUCH better after amending accordingly.

I'll check to see if dynamic volume is on....

Thanks, Cat.
Just noticed its called auto level control on the Pioneer. Not dynamic volume as on Denon.
Just noticed its called auto level control on the Pioneer. Not dynamic volume as on Denon.

HA! I just came to state that, and also that there's no mention - that I can see - of ALC in the manual.
I'm looking at the online Manuel for the SC-65 and on the page that shows a picture of the remote it mentions a button called auto/alc/direct.

Also page 55 called Auto playback.

Also a mention on page 57 in Using Stream Direct.
I'm looking at the online Manuel for the SC-65 and on the page that shows a picture of the remote it mentions a button called auto/alc/direct.

Also page 55 called Auto playback.

Also a mention on page 57 in Using Stream Direct.

Ah, yes, you're right. Thanks! When my caregiver comes in tonight, I'll get her to tell me what the display says, then I'll proceed with cycling through those settings via the remote.
I can sell you my denon 4802 at a great price!!!
So I changed a couple settings last night, and I don't notice a difference in loudness. This has been bugging me all day, so moments ago I got the idea to search YouTube for a left/right speaker test, and lo and behold, the right channel is way quieter than the left. Here's the test I used.

So my obvious question is what could be the causation? Could it be something as simple as a faulty or incorrect speaker wire connection? When my sister hooked up my receiver, she did mention that the speaker wire going to the right speaker didn't have ANY variance between the two wires, so it was impossible to tell which is connected to the black or red connectors on said speaker.

Whatcha guys think?

Thanks again.
Just switch the wires and see.
I just did some research online, and most likely the culprit is that the right speaker is wired out of phase, so I'll do just that, Cat, when my caregiver comes in later on.

Sorry to bother with something fairly straightforward.
I just did some research online, and most likely the culprit is that the right speaker is wired out of phase, so I'll do just that, Cat, when my caregiver comes in later on.

Sorry to bother with something fairly straightforward.

Never a problem. Sorry you have to wait for things like this. You must have a lot of patience by now.
Yes I do. The patience of Job, many have said.
Well, that did nothing. I tried the speaker cable in the left channel inputs, and it's the same thing. I also checked the speaker level settings via the receiver, and they're both set to 0. When the static tone was sent to the right channel, it's very quiet and dull sounding.

I didn't say, but when my 3801 suddenly shut off, my contractor was working directly above it with a damp sponge wiping Dap to finish off my newly installed crown moulding. I was listening to music when it shut off. At the time, I told him that I bet water dripped from the sponge and shorted my receiver. It looks like that's the case, whilst zapping my monitor 9, too.

Not, happy mad !
Cam, "tried the speaker cable in the left channel inputs" isn't entirely clear. Did you actually mean "outputs", showing that connecting the receiver's left channel main speaker outputs to the right main speaker still resulted in bad sound from the right speaker? If so, this indicates that the problem is with that speaker, rather than the right channel of the receiver.
Sorry John, yes that's what I meant.

Is the speaker repairable?

Thanks
Sorry John, yes that's what I meant.

Is the speaker repairable?

Thanks

Anyone.....?
Need to try both speakers (left/right) on the same channels to make sure it's the speaker first. I'd try left and right speaker on the left channel. Then try left and right speaker on the right channel. Shouldn't take long if you used banana plugs. (If not maybe it's time to switch to banana plugs).

What kind of speakers are they? I missed it before if you mentioned it.
Need to try both speakers (left/right) on the same channels to make sure it's the speaker first. I'd try left and right speaker on the left channel. Then try left and right speaker on the right channel. Shouldn't take long if you used banana plugs. (If not maybe it's time to switch to banana plugs).

What kind of speakers are they? I missed it before if you mentioned it.

I did that, Cat. It's definitely the speaker.

They're Paradigm Monitor 9 v2's.

Thank you.
Those are rather old. Probably hard to find parts for them. You can always search for used ones at a good price. Have someone knowledgeable to check out the individual parts for a malfunction and get a new replacement part that's similar, perhaps from a new parts online retailer. Other than this, I'm out of ideas.
Thanks again, Cat. I called the Paradigm dealer in town, and he said to just bring the speaker in.

I really hope it can be fixed for a modest price. I've been having major home renovations done since the middle of October, and the expenses are quickly approaching $20 k.
Doesn't take long for those home renovations to add up. I'm doing mine a little at a time. Last year I had a basement wall braced (from the outside) and the living room and HT revamped.

This year, I plan on paying someone to tear out all the concrete in the front of the house (stoop, and walkway to garage) and replace it with concrete from house to 1 foot past existing sidewalk for a 2 tiered walk and pattio (meaning there are a few steps down to the lower level). Plus finishing up a bedroom I tore up to re-make it into an office space. Plus payback a loan on my 401k for the living room furniture and rug, in 1 year instead of the 2 I took out.

And try and replace the carpet in the hallway and steps leading down to the living room. Color ideas? Red to match the walls, or curtains, or area rug?

Next year, taking out the downstairs door by concreting up the wall. Then start on the 2 rooms in the downstairs that got destroyed by water from a storm. Water leaked under the door I want to take out. I'm not doing any renovation there until that door is gone.
My buddy just brought my M80's up into my bedroom. Figured I might as well, rather than listening to one speaker whilst the other is in the shop.

I haven't heard them since last September. I'm happy happy.

Edit - Still surprised that -12 isn't really load, especially given my bedroom is much smaller than my HT. Then again, maybe it's a combination of old age and aging senses frown .
Are you saying -12 on the amp isn't loud or that it doesn't seem loud after 12 beer?
Originally Posted By: Murph
Are you saying -12 on the amp isn't loud or that it doesn't seem loud after 12 beer?

laugh laugh laugh

Oooooooooohhhhhhhh, we need to party again smile.
Sooooooooooo, my speaker was taken into the shop today, and the service guy calls me back an hour later to tell me the problem is it's missing a gold plated connector (shown below) on the speaker's binding post.

Yeah, really, that's it. 35 effin dollars just to effin tell me that. FML.

Moral or the story- DON'T BECOME A QUADRIPLEGIC BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DIAGNOSE PROBLEMS CLOSE TO THE FLOOR UNLESS YOU PURPOSELY PUT YOURSELF THERE FOR A LOT LONGER THAN IT WOULD TAKE TO SOLVE ANYTHING!
Cam, it's too bad somebody didn't check the terminal connections for you, but at least the "repair" certainly is for the "modest" cause you were hoping for. You understand now that half of that speaker wasn't operating.
I'm with John. $35 is a best case scenario once it actually hit the shop. If you recall, I was ready to ship an EP500 back until I eventually spotted the cat toy in the port. I thought I had looked in there closely, but obviously I did not so I'm probably capable of ignoring a missing clip as well.
Oh yeah, John is right. Even though my post was of a facetious nature, it's still annoying considering all variables.

Unless someone was to take my place, it's impossible to understand how frustrating it is when stuff like this happens, no matter how inconsequential they may be.
I hear ya Bud! I can't pretend to imagine. If I could just figure out a way to safely ship some more Murphshine, it would be on it's way. Not only is it guaranteed to cheer you up but I'm pretty damn sure it can keep bedsores disinfected if you get another round. smirk
Originally Posted By: Murph
I hear ya Bud! I can't pretend to imagine. If I could just figure out a way to safely ship some more Murphshine, it would be on it's way. Not only is it guaranteed to cheer you up but I'm pretty damn sure it can keep bedsores disinfected if you get another round. smirk

The sores haven't disappeared, so send that disinfectant yonder smile. Maybe my doctor will prescribe it!
Cam, how difficult is it to become an Astronaut in Canada? A few weeks in space will clear those bedsores right up. smile
I hear Pandora is looking for a few more drivers.
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Cam, how difficult is it to become an Astronaut in Canada? A few weeks in space will clear those bedsores right up. smile

I hear Pandora is looking for a few more drivers.

Great idea! From my research you need an undergraduate degree as the bare minimum, which I don't have, so I figure I'll do exactly what "undergraduate" implies, and see where she gets me.
HAHAH!
Now I want to be an astronaut too!
Forget the astronaut part.
© Axiom Message Boards