Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Chuck Windows Media Audio Lossless - 08/30/03 05:49 AM
According to Windows Media player this format is mathematically lossless (470-940 kbps)I plan to rip all my cd's to an external firewire 250gb HDD. Gonna treat it like a separate whenever I upgrade my PC my files stay on the external drive. Now how do I get this music to play through my new setup Rotel RSX-1055 and Axiom speakers of course. Main reason for this is the playlist and I am lazy. My PC isn't close enough to run a cable out of the sound card (Creative Audigy2) to an input on the receiver. So how would you recommend this or is it a waste of time because the sound quality won't be worth it. A few ideas I had and was wondering if anybody else has tried it was to maybe hook up an external sound card specifically the creative labs Extigy to a notebook computer and then connect the Extigy to the receiver. I also saw Onkyo has something called nettune where you can use it has a music server via ethernet it can host your music collection for playback on the receiver. Has anybody had any experiance with the net tune. And if there is a better way I am wide open to suggestion. TIA

Chuck
Posted By: real80sman Re: Windows Media Audio Lossless - 08/30/03 11:40 AM
My thought would be to pick up an old PII 350 or similar (they can be found for next to nothing) and drop in a decent audio card. Then you could either network it to your main computer, or use it as a stand alone with the external hard drive. This would seem to be the cheapest route.

Shawn

Posted By: Semi_On Re: Windows Media Audio Lossless - 08/30/03 05:16 PM
Unless you can get a computer connected directly to it with a wired connection, there's no point in working with lossless as any RF system you choose will screw the sound quality. Either run a cable or build another box.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Windows Media Audio Lossless - 08/31/03 02:11 AM
I have my HTPC connected via SPDIF to my Rotel rsx1065. It definitely doesn't sound as good as my CD player to my rsx1065 playing the same CD.

Saturn
Posted By: Chuck Re: Windows Media Audio Lossless - 08/31/03 03:48 AM
I just picked up XM so I probably won't evn mess with it now. With all the different channels, and the sound is half way decent. Now I get to be even lazier because someone else creates the playlist.
© Axiom Message Boards