Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jmone Algonquin - Painting a new colour? - 06/07/13 07:46 AM
We are doing some reno's and I may want to change the colour of the existing Algonquins. I read that they are "Painted with automotive-tough paint and topped with an extremely resilient clear coating of ultraviolet ray inhibitor that prevents sun damage to the speaker ".

Any suggestions on how to respray them a different colour?

Thanks
Nathan
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Algonquin - Painting a new colour? - 06/09/13 01:02 PM
I would recommend emailing Axiom.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Algonquin - Painting a new colour? - 06/16/13 12:38 PM
Nathan, please keep us advised on your progress/process. I need to do the same to mine now that we have moved.

I was thinking a light sanding, then using this or this.
It sounds like these speakers have a base coat/clear coat system applied. To refinish ,ideally you would wet sand the clear coat with 400 wet/dry sand paper. A block of wood with some paper towel wrapped with the sand paper and wetted with a spray bottle works best so you don't sand unevenly. Once sanded you can spray a your favorite color, do this in multiple coats so you don't get runs waiting at least 15 minutes between coats depending on temperature. After the final coat of paint you can spray on a light coat of clear letting it set up a bit then apply a second heavier coat. At this point it should be left to dry. Next lightly sand the clear and apply another coat of clear. To achieve that super glossy finish color sanding and polishing will need to be done. Depending on requirements and skill level you may not need to/ want to do the color sanding which is optional. Duplicolor is my product of choice if I spray out of cans. Since I have a compressor and hvlp spray guns I use Nason automotive for my large projects. I suggest a practice run before doing the project.

Richard
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Algonquin - Painting a new colour? - 06/16/13 11:58 PM
I seem to recall from my factory tour that Axiom applies about a dozen coats & hand-polishings (lots of labour involved).

That's why it takes a month to complete & costs extra...

TAM
I could help, just send a airline ticket and a small slush fund for travel expense's
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Algonquin - Painting a new colour? - 06/17/13 01:15 AM
Are you a Canadian Senator, ha??

TAM
HA , if i was i would not be petitioning for a ticket i would just go and screw everyone .
© Axiom Message Boards