Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kjs Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 04:05 PM
Hi all, this is my first post so be easy :-)
I have had a M3/VP100/QS2 combo for over a hear now and really liked the sound. I recently upgraded by purchasing the M22 and QS8's. I am thrilled with the M22, but have not installed the QS8's as of yet. That leads me to the intent of this post. How are people mounting these guys? For my particular setup they will be mounted on a rear wall about seven feet off the floor. I see that there is a metal bracket on the speaker with two slots. Are you guys using a screw in the wall and then hanging them via the bracket on the screw? Thanks for your help
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 04:56 PM
I used 5 anchor mounts in the wall using the bracket. I just hammered in the anchors (those plastic red thingies) and then screwed the mounting bracket to the wall. The QS8's clip right on to the bracket. Very secure, VERY easy.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 05:07 PM
I would also suggest using the brackets that came w/ the speakers. Like spiff said, very easy, very secure. I did not mount mine to a joist, just used drywall anchors, no problems.

As for the height, I believe the doc. that came w/ them said mount the speakers 1-3ft above listening position. Mine are about 2.5 ft above listening level. This is where I could not pin point the speakers, but just could hear sound "around" me. Anything lower, I could localize them.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 05:13 PM
btw...the QS8's ROCK! I never realized how bad my Polk's were until I replaced them with the QS8's. Wow...
Posted By: kjs Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 05:57 PM
All: Thanks for the reply. Looks like it's a quick stop at the Home Depot when I leave the office. I can't wait to get these guys up and connected. I have the standard test collection (Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, Two Towers, 5th Element . . . ) that will definitely be on tap tonight.
Thanks
Posted By: twopecker Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 06:54 PM
Stop by Radioshack and get an SPL meter too =)

I learned this the hard way.

By the way, the QS8's are AMAZING as surrounds, I can definitely say they are the best I have heard for doing their job.
Posted By: kjs Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 07:38 PM
Again thanks - great info. I bought the famous Radio Shack SPL meter. Got it a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale. Did anyone else happen to see it was on sale? Great buy.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/03/03 07:42 PM
I just bought mine a week ago...not on sale. Go ahead and make me cry and tell me how much the sale price was =)
Posted By: kjs Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/04/03 12:49 PM
The analog version was a little over $27 if I remember correctly
Posted By: ralderman Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/05/03 12:07 AM
I uses an old piece of Oak wood from a light fixture.

Here's some pics
http://gmpexpress.net/~ralderman/theater.htm

Rick
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/05/03 12:15 AM
Hey! Another Rotel owner!
Posted By: sushi Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/05/03 05:28 AM
ralderman,

Where did you get those little hooker pieces of hardware? From Axiom? My QS8 came only with a T-bracket.

Yeah, and the Rotels look awful good in black, too!
Posted By: kjs Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/05/03 01:42 PM
Everyone - got the QS8's up. Used the Radio Shack SPL stayed up way, way too late last night listening. Even though I am dead beat this morning but being the glutton that I am I can't wait to get home and fire it up again.
Posted By: ralderman Re: Mounting QS8's - 09/06/03 04:16 AM
Sushi,
Those were the mounting brackets that came with my QS8's.

Yes, I love Rotel products. Their customer support was great to, I recently upgraded the firmware on the receiver.

Rick
© Axiom Message Boards