Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TroyD Sub choice - 01/07/14 06:21 PM
Ok, I know sometimes bigger is better, but not always.
I am still not quite sure, whether towers are better over bookshelves and subs. for movies.
I currently have M80's for my two channel system I run a HK 3490 and it is great for upstairs in the living room.
I only watch TSN and Dr. Phil, Ellen G and music at normal volumn.
I am building/constructing a movie room in my basement. Right now it will house the music room, Drums, Guitars, Keyboards, PA, until such time as my daughter moves on to Universit 4 yrs from now. Then, I will convert to a movie room and move the drums to her current tv room area.
I have just built the double wall dividing us and sound proofed it, now onto the ceiling and finish the drop part and I will be done for now. In the meantime I am going to purchase over the next year or two the audio gear for the sound system.

The room is 11.5"w x 18.6"L and 7.5'H
1600sq ft
I think I am going to cure my inabilities and create a dual system and upgrade the M80 to the HP ver or M100 for music only. then possibly create a second system with the bookshelfs and dual subs for movies. My anthem will allow that.
my question for now is, do I really, really need a 2' by 2' by 2' subs ? that taking up about25% of my front stage. and yeh I know the best sound may not be with them front stage, but I really don't want two subs protruding into the middle of my room along a side wall. if I do room correction and the what not I will never notice a difference.

Would two smaller sub's avbout the size of the EP400 or Energy's 10 Verita's be sufficient ? I mean just how much pressure does one need in a smaller room.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Sub choice - 01/07/14 06:30 PM
I mean
if I had bookshelves mounted to the wall I can position them exactly where they need to be. and that leaves alot of room up front. If I use the M80/M100 may as well say thats 1.5' of space a ft from the side walls 3.5'. I find at 11ft away I have them 9ft apart now and thats about perfect I can't tell they are even turned on, just sounds like the tv is a loud one. than means if I have the bigger EP500's or SVS the two subs would only be 1.5 ft apart. In that case a verticle EP800 be just as good.

Maybe that's the ideal situation. Two M80/M100 and a EP 800 verticle upfront and get two Energy Verita's in each corner in the rear. if the verticle sub is centere stage and I am 10/11 ft away centre and have two subs in the rear corners 6 ft behind how am I ever going to hear a nul
Posted By: Adrian Re: Sub choice - 01/07/14 09:00 PM
I would suggest you wait until you build your movie theatre in 4 yrs before upgrading your sub situation. Unless you are listening to organ music, you hardly need a sub for music with M80s... ditto if you're only watching Ellen, Dr Phil, and TSN although Dr Phil's whiny voice does go pretty low laugh .
Posted By: TroyD Re: Sub choice - 01/08/14 01:06 PM
well the idea is to start now. I hav four years to piece this together, $300 per month
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Sub choice - 01/08/14 04:22 PM
Do you really need to have the subs on the front stage at all?

I'm kind of confused; it seems like your constraint is footprint. If that's the case, how about a SVS cylinder?

With a few, pricey exceptions, I don't think you can get the extension you want from movies from a very small enclosure.

And, fwiw, I am now convinced that towers are still pretty critical for music, but that 3 M22's plus subwoofage is the way I'll go for the next iteration of "home theater".
Posted By: TroyD Re: Sub choice - 01/08/14 07:13 PM
well, I just not sure I want a 2ft sq sitting in the middle of my room, actually two of them.
it is 11.5 ft wide heck my movie seats are 8 ft. just protrudes too much into the room. Plus on the one side wall I have a fireplace that narrows the width down to 10.5'.

I was possibly thinking if I had a EP600/800 in the middle pointing directly at me and 10 ft away, plus to nice subs in the rear corners how much LF am I going to be missing.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Sub choice - 01/08/14 07:57 PM
I think you'd be fine. As long as you get something that can dig a little deeper than the 10" Energy subs, and use them to fill out nulls over ~25Hz (or however low they go), it'll be great.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Sub choice - 01/08/14 09:04 PM
Amplifier Power Output: 300 watts RMS, 1200 watts dynamic
Frequency Response 23Hz-120Hz ± 3dB
Variable Low Pass Filter 40Hz-120Hz @ 18dB/octave
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sub choice - 01/09/14 02:45 AM
Troy, on the question about placing two subs in the room, the mid-points of the opposite side walls are one recommendation arising from research, but there are others which are good and may suit you better. Mid-point of the front and back wall is one and another is diagonally opposite corners.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Sub choice - 01/09/14 04:30 AM
I can do mid point front wall, but behind me is a bit difficult.
Yah maybe two EP500's one up front and one rear would be good.

I know, I am going to have to experiment with placement, but I hope two up front aint the answer, I just don't think with 11 ft I got the room.
© Axiom Message Boards