Axiom Home Page
Posted By: EFalardeau Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/27/14 05:17 PM
Hi to all!

Finally got a few minutes to let you know about my... fun with installing in-wall M3 speakers in my bedroom.

The first surprise was that, for some reason, my stud finder, usually reliable, missed a stud and reported it a few inches away... which threw out some measurements and nasty "passed the speaker" drywall cuts. Then (my fault for not checking for that beforehand) I hit, as I was cutting gyp-rock, fire-blocks! More "re-positioning"...

That was... not too bad as a bit of wall repair and repainting would have fixed the hiccups... The hardship started with the discovery that that wall was using 2x3s instead of 2x4s... The in-wall M3s are 3 3/4!! Ouch. Sticking out speakers surrounded by nasty cutting mistakes.

So I went de-icing my driveway using a 6-pound sledgehammer to "ponder" about my options... Finally, I ended up going the "frame" way. I found at hardware store nice moldings that were 1 1/8" think in its thickest (enough for the speakers to sit flush) and that looked not bad. Lots of 45 degree cuts using a hand saw (I don't have proper wood cutting tools yet) and glued the pieces together, then installed the whole thing (more great Lepage glue) and repainted using left-over paints from previous owner.

This is how final steps look like.

Et voila! It almost looks intentional!

HINDSIGHT: Go with on-wall! They don't protrude much and don't propagate to other rooms. I can't wait for an on-wall EP-800!
Posted By: Argon Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/27/14 05:22 PM
Nice recovery! Looks like a pro did it. How many swings of the sledgehammer did it take to arrive at the framing option?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/27/14 05:25 PM
My driveway is close to 1000sq-ft...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/27/14 07:39 PM
You get an A+ for recovery! Lovely job under the circumstances!
Posted By: Murph Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/27/14 08:13 PM
Agreed, just looks like you did some nice frame work to me. Good Job!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/27/14 09:03 PM
Looks great!

Just remember, hand tools can be proper woodworking tools. wink
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/27/14 09:22 PM
See, Eric, this is where you and I differ. You did a fantastic job with the tools you have. I, on the other hand, would have used this project as an excuse to buy $4K worth of tools.

Oh, my results would not have been better or anything.
Posted By: Argon Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/28/14 01:52 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
See, Eric, this is where you and I differ. You did a fantastic job with the tools you have. I, on the other hand, would have used this project as an excuse to buy $4K worth of tools.

Oh, my results would not have been better or anything.

THAT is the rule around here for project work. I can do it, honey, but I would have had to buy a 12" Compound Sliding Miter Saw to insure the angles were correct. Of course I would have needed the optional stand to put the saw on.....
Posted By: a401classic Re: Adventures with in-wall speakers... - 01/29/14 01:41 AM
Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Hi to all!

Finally got a few minutes to let you know about my... fun with installing in-wall speakers ...

I feel your pain, my friend. I went through a similar demolition/reconstruction.

Certainly not the fault of the speaker, I, too, blame a faulty stud finder, but am very happy with the results. If my original stud finder had shown the number of studs that were actually present, I would have not ordered the speakers; glad I did, though.
I also brought up the EP500, on which the movers managed to break a carpet spike flush with the housing, to watch Star Wars Episode IV. Mrs Classic was none too happy, but after watching the movie with the floor shaking at the appropriate times, didn't ask to have it moved back to the basement. laugh
© Axiom Message Boards