Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon Bedroom TV? - 03/17/14 11:28 PM
I am in the market for a new TV for my bedroom.

Below is what i currently have...

As you can see, i have a total of 35 inches to play with which will fit most 39" tv's. However, i have thought about getting an articulating wall mount, which i think would allow me to go to a 42" display.

Has any ever heard of this brand, its a 4k TV @ 120hz.
http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39...ords=39+inch+tv
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/18/14 12:53 AM
Go big or go home , I have a 50" and I want to move my 60 into the bedroom . No such thing as too big. Any way to change the room around, move a wall or something grin

This guy has nothing good to say about them.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/18/14 01:16 AM
Alex, unless there's a specific 42" set that you really want, it doesn't seem worthwhile to complicate the mounting process for the slight difference from the 39" models.

Looking at the 39" sets tested in the March Consumer Reports, that exact Seiki finished 11th out of the 12 sets in the category, most significantly being two high-def picture quality grades below the top sets. The top set from the tests was this Samsung , available for $377 at Amazon.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/18/14 01:58 AM
Thanks John.

I'll probably buy next month. So, i may PM you, to ask you to pull the most recent results.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/18/14 03:50 AM
If you have enough room for a 42" model, the tests(which probably won't appear again for at least six more months)in that category had the Panasonic TC-P42S60 plasma with top picture quality, as well as being superior in viewing angle and freedom from motion blur.

Note though, that Panasonic has discontinued its plasmas and that set may be difficult to find now.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/18/14 04:42 PM
This morning on the train ride to the office I found out of the Panasonic plasmas at a sears about an hr from the house. However, by the time I got to the office, it was gone..!

So,would you mind posing the 42" LED results, as I think that's going to have to be the route I will have to go.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/19/14 02:27 AM
The top 42" LCD tested was the LG 42GA6400.

It may be that the S60 Panasonic is entirely sold out, so looking a little farther down in the ratings, I noted that the TC-P42X60 was quite good and maybe a better overall pick than the LCDs, although one picture quality grade down from the higher-priced S60. It appears that the X60 is still available at the moment from some sources, such as Best Buy for about $380.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/20/14 06:34 PM
Put a widescreen on it's side to fit a bigger one. Then always watch TV while laying on your side.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/26/14 09:44 PM
Good timing for this post. I'm in a similar situation.

I'm looking for a 40 or 42 inch second TV for the bedroom to replace and old 25" tube TV (bought in 1996 baby!).

1. Budget - $500? I haven't kept up with the market since I bought a Sony A2000 years ago. Budget is not a hard number, but keep in mind this is a secondary TV that won't be used a lot.

2. Seating distance - On the bed across the room. ~11 feet.

3. Size - It will go on top of a chest of drawers that measures 42" width, and I don't want the edges of the TV to stick out past the edge of the chest, which is why I said not more than a 42" screen, which will actually come in a little less than that width wise.

4. Use - TV and Netflix. Prefer wired ethernet, but wireless could work too. Anything support wireless AC yet? Don't expect to ever have a Blu Ray/DVD hooked up to this TV.

5. There are multiple light sources in the room, including an overhead that can be dimmed. Most watching will be at night, so outside lighting should not be a factor.

If something other than LCD makes sense I'm ok with that too. Overall, looking for a quality TV that won't break the bank.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/27/14 04:02 AM
Jason, yes those 42" TVs run about 39-40" wide and would fit well on your furniture. In the March Consumer Reports I referenced above, the Panasonic plasma is apparently completely sold out. A slightly lower rated plasma, the Samsung PN43F4500, should serve you well and is available from several sources for a little under $400, here for example.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/27/14 10:05 PM
LED LCD's seem to be the trend these days. Are these better than Plasma?
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/27/14 11:22 PM
From what I've seen, plasmas keep getting top honors from the HT writers and critics and from the AVS folks. BUT that's for the top-end units.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/28/14 12:20 AM
I will be sad to see the end of plasma's but the writing is on the wall. I own 4 and if I were rich I would have 65zt60 panny. Lcd's have poor off center viewing , which in a bedroom would not be a problem , I just don't find them as satisfying to watch as I do a plasma. From what I understand a plasma just wont scale well to 4k and they are expensive to make, though good products usually are.
Posted By: alan Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/28/14 01:09 PM
Hi Zarak,

No, LED LCD's are not superior to plasma -- they tend to be brighter, so if the room you're considering typically has a lot of daylight or big windows, then look at LED LCD sets.

In stores, plasma sets will look dimmer compared to the LED LCD sets, and the latter are run in the "torch" mode so they're positively dazzling to the eye. Some are very good and better off-axis than those of past years, but in terms of overall natural picture quality, the best plasmas are superior.

I just helped a friend shop for 50-inch flat screen set and he got a near top-of-the-line Samsung plasma, about $1800, that's just stunning. Even the 3D feature (which wasn't important to him) works surprisingly well. Samsung is still building excellent plasma sets. Some of the under $1000 Led/LCD sets were very good, including Samsung, but the picture quality just wasn't as natural as the plasma when viewed under dimmer lighting.

Plasma sets also do not have any motion-blur issues with fast-action sports.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/28/14 04:04 PM
I have 3 LCD sets - 2 X Sonys & 1 X elcheapo brand for the guest room.

My main 55" Sony (1 model below their famous XBR seies) in my HT is simply stunning from our normal viewing area. I detect no motion blur whatsoever.

The 2 lower end ones work really well in our 2 bedrooms & far exceed any CRT that I ever had there.

As I've noted before, Plasmas are huge RFI generators & I won't be sad to see them leave the marketplace. Then my radio collection will be happy as well...

TAM
Posted By: dakkon Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/28/14 08:16 PM
In my family room i have a 60" Panasonic Plasma. In the bedroom i wound up going with a Samsung LED/LCD a 6030. It's ok.. But, i REALLY wanted a plasma.. I did a heck of a lot of searching. But, due to my size constraint i was pretty much left with the LED/LCD products. There is still a decent supply of larger plasma's 55"+ in the market. However, i had to stick with something no larger than a 42". As john noted the panasonic 42S60 was a very good plasma. I could only find 1 available in the country, and that was at a Sears outlet in Tennessee, and they wouldn't ship it either... So, i had no choice...

Below is an interesting article i found about the decline in the Plasma market. Which is really too bad, because they were the best looking sets. In todays market, picture quality isn't so much of a concern as the "smart" aspect of TV's for the general population.....

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/why-plasma-tv-dying,news-17668.html

Jason, Depending on what your looking at, given your previous post on what you are looking for, i would recommend a getting the Samsung6030 (non-smart) display (which is the display i have), you could see the space constraint that i had. The initial measurement was actually 39" and the 40" 6030 fits that space perfectly. Also, by connecting either a Roku, or Apple TV to the display you can easily replace the "smart" part of the TV down the road as hardware changes, and you're not stuck with the chipset within the TV. That is what i would do if i was looking for streaming content. They make holders that will allow you to mount the Roku/apple tv to the back of the set, so it will never be seen.

The 6030, really does have a pretty decent Picture, and is the same as the 6050, without the "smart" stuff inside...

Hope this helps.

P.S.
Here is the 40" Samsung 6030
Posted By: Zarak Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/29/14 12:07 AM
I guess the easiest thing to do is not worry about the smart features and do Chromecast for netflix viewing on the TV. Easy enough to pick up one of those for $35.

I'm not familiar with RFI. Is this just a noise caused when the plasma is on, or is there more to it?
Posted By: Zarak Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/29/14 02:17 AM
From reading a little more, it looks like the issue is radio interference, and mostly a concern is someone is using a ham radio in the area, although I assume it can interfere with regular AM/FM as well.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/29/14 04:38 AM
Plasma RFI adversely affects reception of mostly Long Wave, Medium Wave (AM) & Short Wave freq bands.

Since mostly only old pharts like me still use real radios with real outdoor antennae, most people would never notice.

Thankfully there aren't any plasmas in my neighbourhood...

TAM
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/29/14 05:44 AM
Yes, the interference affects medium wave AM radio and short wave ham radio operations. FM radio operates at higher frequencies(88 to 108 MHz)where the radiated interference from plasmas is too low to be troublesome. Improperly shielded class D amplifiers and their power cords can cause troublesome interference with FM radio.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Bedroom TV? - 03/29/14 10:42 AM
Time to replace them cheap power cords with solid silver ones!!!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Bedroom TV? - 04/01/14 04:40 PM
I'm still loving my calibrated Panasonic 65VT50 plasma after 2 years.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Bedroom TV? - 04/03/14 02:31 AM
Anyone ever use bigboxsuperstore? Only place I am seeing this Panny plasma anymore.

http://www.bigboxsuperstore.com/Panasoni...1-6-Diag/p-1278
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bedroom TV? - 04/03/14 07:05 AM
Jason, I also found that site a couple weeks ago in my research, but didn't mention it since clicking on Buy brought up "Product is not found", which is still the case.

I'd again suggest the 43" Samsung plasma which I linked to above.
Posted By: MichaelTrottar Re: Bedroom TV? - 04/10/14 08:56 AM
The Panasonic TC-P42S60 lcd with top picture, as well as being excellent in watching position and independence from movement cloud.
© Axiom Message Boards