Axiom Home Page
I have a Harman Kardon AVR-55 that has served me well for 3 years. I know it can safely drive 6 ohms (HK website says so), but I am concerned that the releativly low wattage of the channels may not be enough to drive the above speakers well. I will probably upgrade the receiver at some point, but I really haven't heard anything I like better (<$5K anyway... )
Don't forget, the M80s have a higher sensitivity than the other Axiom speakers, and therefore can be driven louder with fewer watts. Don't worry about it, and enjoy!
superstar,

what's important is that you verify if your HK can drive a FOUR OHM load, which is what the M80's present to your receiver.

They are very, very sensitive, so if it can drive 4 ohms, it will be faily loud, unless you have a large room or very high ceilings.
Thanks. the HK website says: "All Harman Kardon Audio/Video receivers can handle most 4 and 6 ohm speakers on the market today. However, there are some manufacturers' speakers that have a minimum impedance well below the 4 and 6 ohm nominal impedance."

As for the room...it is 16'x19' with 20' vaulted ceilings and catwalks on two walls above it. Still go with the QS8s? Thanks for the forum advice.
superstar,
I own the Harman Kardon Avr 55, and i run vp-150, m40,m22, ep-125.. and it sounds great!! and i have no problem driving them..and for a short time i did have the 80's hooked to it and it posed no problem at all, what a great reciver!! you shouldent have a prob! oh and I almost forgot, the H/K is a high current amp and has 40 plus minus of current, so with the wattage rating of 65(stereo) 55 in surround, these are "sand bag" ratings there specs are most likely closer too 100 per speaker
Thanks! Well, the QS8's and M80Ti's are on the way. I bet the VP150 isn't far behind.
© Axiom Message Boards