Axiom Home Page
I currently have a 5.1 setup. M22 L/R, VP150, QS8s and a SVS Sub. I'm moving to a 7.1 setup (finally). In a purely cost-cutting move, would I be OK using QS4s for the rear surround?

One important note is that all my Axioms are V1.0 or earlier...their serial number isn't even found. They were made in 2003. They work and look great but are older speakers. Thought that was worth mentioning.

My rationale on the QS4s is that as rear surrounds, the amount of info coming from them would not be as great as the F/C/R or L/R surround and I would guess they are timbre-matched to the QS8s? Again, my QS8s are old, so maybe not.

The money I'd save over QS8s would pay for the ceiling brackets for the QS4s. Another interesting side note.

Thanks for your advice!
Michael, if you've got enough room behind your listening position to make back surrounds effective(say, at least 4')the QS4s should work well. A higher crossover than with the QS8s will probably be set, but other than the lesser bass extension there should be a good match.

As to the rationale though, if processing such as DPLIIx is in use with 2-channel or 5-channel source material, there will always be some info extracted and sent to the back surrounds, although it may be lower in level.
Originally Posted By: michaeld
... the amount of info coming from them would not be as great as the F/C/R or L/R surround

Try not to think of quanitity equaling quality. The QS4's are a perfect surround for that application. They sound great, don't let the size difference fool you.
From the first listening session I knew I'd made the right choice. I'd go as far to say they have sounded better than my QS8's in a few rooms/positions that they've been directly compared. Not all but enough times to make me hold onto them for future use.
Great replies; thanks, guys! I definitely have enough room for rear surrounds. There will be about 6' from the first row of seating to the rear wall.

The QS4s would be a better fit, physically, for the location they need to occupy. Works for me. Thanks again. smile
© Axiom Message Boards