Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Adrian Kef Speakers? - 02/01/15 04:06 PM
Wondering if anyone has been able to compare any of Kef's Q or R series speakers to Axioms and what your thoughts were. I'm not really looking for any more speakers at the moment but may be able to pick up some Kef speakers at a substancial savings(close to dealer $ I believe). Would be most interested in hearing anyone's impressions of the R900 or R700 vs Axioms towers (I have M80V2's).

Thanks
Posted By: FrankeeD Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/02/15 04:13 AM
I can't help with comparing towers, but I have a pair of iQ10 bookshelf speakers that I really like. I use them for a modest home theatre set up in the family room and for mostly classical music. The sound is very clean and they don't seem to colour the music I listen to. They're also very nice looking speakers.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/02/15 05:37 AM
I've done a direct comparison between the Q500 and my M80v2 in a 13'x17'x9' moderately damped room. I was sitting 14' away. The speakers were spaced almost 12' apart.

When I sat dead center, there was no contest. The M80 presentation shamed the Kef.

When I sat anywhere off center, it was a different story. The image of the M80s collapsed terribly. The Kef image held tight and was frankly uncanny. It wasn't correct but it didn't collapse.

The M80 mid-range was unbeatable.

All of this was at 5 to 10 watts per channel.
Posted By: CV Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/02/15 05:52 AM
Whoa, Mojo's alive?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/02/15 10:30 AM
MOJO!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/03/15 03:47 AM
Tex, welcome back!
Posted By: AAAA Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/03/15 05:25 PM
Hi Mojo! smile
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/04/15 03:13 AM
After almost 7 years hiatus, one post.
Talk about silent treatment...
Posted By: AAAA Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/04/15 01:13 PM
The only Axiomite I've met in person. Really nice guy who knows audio. He said he went cold turkey on forum posting and just lurks occasionally now. It was great to have another audiophile over to critique my system.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/04/15 02:11 PM
Thank you for your review Mojo, I appreciate it.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/05/15 12:58 AM
Mojo!?!? Whoah.

No direct help here, but I bought a pair of (now 10 year old?) KEF bookshelf speakers that my son is using. I think they sound really great.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/05/15 01:16 PM
Thanks Tom.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Kef Speakers? - 02/05/15 05:47 PM
I heard a pair of Kefs years ago vs. our M60s. But that was well over 12 years back. I don't recall alot about it.
Coincidentally i just found out my neighbor has a vintage pair of Kefs (not sure exactly how old) but if i have the chance to get over to his place, i'll take a listen with my test cd.
© Axiom Message Boards