Axiom Home Page
Posted By: shin204 Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 02:28 PM
Can someone please help me on this one.

-Does the m8 Hp using a different driver to get better bass?
-Is there a difference in sound Quality between m8 and m8 HP?

or If I should spend a bit more money for the m100?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By shin204
Can someone please help me on this one.

-Does the m8 Hp using a different driver to get better bass?
-Is there a difference in sound Quality between m8 and m8 HP?

or If I should spend a bit more money for the m100?

Shin: Yes, yes, and yes. I rarely say "yes" to anything.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 03:00 PM
Bob, don't lie. We all know you say yes to EVERYTHING and ANYTHING, baby.
Posted By: MMM Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 03:01 PM
The HP uses a different driver that has a larger magnet and more displacement. I had the regular M80 and for the most part didn't think that it was lacking in bass. some recordings sounded a bit hollow and turning up the bass adjustment on the receiver fixed it, but I had found that was the recording and not the fault of the speaker.

The M100 definitely give more bass but are a larger speaker with three of the HP 6" drivers vs only 2 inside the M80. If you have a big room that you are driving the speakers to fill then the M100 is probably the better option. If you room is not as big then I'd probably go with the M80 and look at getting one of the subs at a later time if you need to fill in more bass. They had a great deal on an EP500.v3 in the refurb section that would give imho a far better sound than just buying the M80HP or even the M100.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By Ken.C
Bob, don't lie. We all know you say yes to EVERYTHING and ANYTHING, baby.

I am not lying Ken. I was always in way too much of hurry to wait for the question, so I asked first.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 03:33 PM
So it was ask first, shoot later?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 04:20 PM
Well there he is, Axiom's very own absentee slumlord. Hey, JP!

Sooooooo vanilla.

Peter!!!! How's the Big "A?"
Posted By: BobKay Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 04:41 PM
Back to Shin's thread. Matt's take on your decision is also true. It's all great stuff and can't go wrong.
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 05:58 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I own a Svs sub, so that would take care of the bottom end bass. My clear choice would be to go with the m80. I'm going to ask just one last question.. I was also looking at paradigm studios 100 would you guys say the studios are a step up from the m8?
Posted By: MMM Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 08:05 PM
I auditioned the Studio 100's. I'd say a step down but mostly sideways.

The Axiom speakers are very very revealing speakers. What you put in, you get out only louder. Give the speakers a really well recorded track and you will be swimming in sound ambrosia. Put on something sub prime and it you get that smack in your face.

The Paradigm Studio speakers I found changed the sound. Think of it like a melting pot. You can feed them mostly anything and you will get back a really nice sounding experience, but without life and deep emotion.

If you have a collection of crappy recordings that you are totally happy with and no plans to part ways, then you will enjoy the Paradigm speakers and hate the Axioms.

If you have a collection of great recordings, then you will get the same enjoyable sound from the Paradigm but loose out on hearing an exceptional sound experience that the Axioms can deliver.

It is a dual edge sword. You don't get anything for free. I went with the better sound and agreed to toss out or not bother listening to about 45% of the music I own as it doesn't sound right with my speakers. But I am fine with that as the remaining 55% sounds out of this world. I like to feel the emotion and connected to the music.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/04/16 08:43 PM
I auditioned M80s(v2) and Studio 100s(v5?) a few years ago and it's pretty even. You'd really be hard pressed to choose one over the other as differences (to me) were subtle. The M80s have been updated a couple of times since as were the Studios which, in fact, have been replaced by the Prestige series recently. How these newer speakers compare...I couldn't say, having heard neither.
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/05/16 12:34 AM
Thanks guys for the awesome run down. Just place an order for m80 and the 180 center to go with it. I'm mostly be using it for home Theater 90% movies 10% music.. I hope the center would be as good as the m80.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/05/16 01:00 AM
You will be happy, I have v3 M80s without HP drivers and they still make me smile and the 180 is a M80, just horizontally configured.
I upgraded from the 150 to the 160, so haven't heard the 180 but am happy with what I have. Looks like you will have some fun coming your way and just might be upping the percentage of music. laugh
Posted By: TroyD Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/05/16 04:40 AM
I have the M80 v3 and VP180V3/
Yes, the Studio 100's have been discontinued. Prestige it is and oh $1500 more.
I have not heard the M80v4 HP but these Prestige is a better sound overall. more bottom end. I am not really sure they are worth but to each his own $1500

If you listen to music alot and with a sub, as Ian has said the difference between the M80 and M80hp is moot.

If you listen to 2ch music no subs and loud then you will notice the difference.

If you are talking M80v3 and Studio 100v5 given they both cost practically the same now. I'd take the Studio 100, just because the price points are close and I give the nudge to Paradigm here. If we were talking M80v3 prices a few years ago, $1600 vs the $3400 Paradigm well then I would take the M80v3 just because the difference was not worth $1800.
The finish is no comparison Prestige all the way. If your talking real veneer finish on Axiom then the price goes up to $3000. Still I don't think the Prestige is worth the extra $1500.

All said and done if you use a sub then M80v4, if not M80HP. My M80v3 I wish more sub for music so, need a sub just for that little extra.
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/05/16 05:31 AM
[quote=TroyD]I have the M80 v3 and VP180V3/
Yes, the Studio 100's have been discontinued. Prestige it is and oh $1500 more.
I have not heard the M80v4 HP but these Prestige is a better sound overall. more bottom end. I am not really sure they are worth but to each his own $1500

If you listen to music alot and with a sub, as Ian has said the difference between the M80 and M80hp is moot.

If you listen to 2ch music no subs and loud then you will notice the difference.

If you are talking M80v3 and Studio 100v5 given they both cost practically the same now. I'd take the Studio 100, just because the price points are close and I give the nudge to Paradigm here. If we were talking M80v3 prices a few years ago, $1600 vs the $3400 Paradigm well then I would take the M80v3 just because the difference was not worth $1800.
The finish is no comparison Prestige all the way. If your talking real veneer finish on Axiom then the price goes up to $3000. Still I don't think the Prestige is worth the extra $1500.

All said and done if you use a sub then M80v4, if not M80HP. My M80v3 I wish more sub for music so, need a sub just for that little extra. [/quote

So I'm assuming studio sounds a tad better? a paradigm dealer in my area still has A pair of studio 100 piano black for sell new, they're asking $2700 plus tax. Is it worth the extra cost?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/05/16 06:10 AM
In late 2007 I compared my M80v2 against the Studio 100v3. The mid-range on the Studio 100v3 was superior to the M80v2. The image coherence and highs were slightly better on the M80v2.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/05/16 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By Mojo
In late 2007 I compared my M80v2 against the Studio 100v3. The mid-range on the Studio 100v3 was superior to the M80v2. The image coherence and highs were slightly better on the M80v2.

Well, at $2700 that is $1000 less than Axiom v4 HP in High Glossy.
I am not sure how the v4HP would be against the Studio v3.
But, I would think if you got a pair of Axiom v4 HP in plain finish they would most likely be comparable. I am in the same boat as what Mojo said regarding the v2 and Studio v3. I would suspect though that both have made improvements. If the price difference was the same as it used to be I would take the Axiom, that a big reason I took Axiom was the difference for compareable speakers was alot. Now, Axiom has priced thier products in the same ballpark as other speaker brands or close.

I guess not having heard the v4HP, but if they have improved as much as people say over v3 and each cost the same. And if finish doesn't mean anything then flip a coin really their both awesome speakers. You could also order the Axioms take them to the store and compare them side by side then return the Axioms if the Studios are better and get the studios.

Also, remember if your using the sub with the speakers for music then this is mute and get the Axiom v4 non HP. Those are $1000 cheaper and I know the Studio v5 is not $1000 better
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/06/16 01:08 AM
I been doing a bit of searching on different forums and Im getting mix reviews from people. They still prefer the paradigm over axiom. From what I read people are saying that the axiom speakers are bit too bright and tiny sounding compare to speakers around +/- price.

This review from soundstage compares the m80's to the monitor 11's....the Studios are likely on another level.

http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=182:axiom-audio-epic-80-800-home-theater-speaker-system&catid=38:equipment&Itemid=2
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/06/16 04:05 AM
Even though that review is 5 years old, the Axiom system was rated very highly by the reviewer at that time. V4 models have taken over now. Be advised, my experience, (and I have lots) with many comments on other forums is that there is a lot of hearsay & parroting by most people who comment. Unfortunately, they've never actually heard them.

Home Theater Shack has tested Axioms along with other brands over the past couple of years. I find that their work is very credible & pragmatic - much more so than many other sites.

These links will provide you with a good overview of what Axioms are all about:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...tion-event.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...ker-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...g-speakers.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/s...ier-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/s...tem-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/s...ker-review.html

This roundup test included a Paradigm:

Hopefully these articles will dispel any doubts that you may have. Good luck in your quest...
TAM
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/06/16 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By exlabdriver
Even though that review is 5 years old, the Axiom system was rated very highly by the reviewer at that time. V4 models have taken over now. Be advised, my experience, (and I have lots) with many comments on other forums is that there is a lot of hearsay & parroting by most people who comment. Unfortunately, they've never actually heard them.

Home Theater Shack has tested Axioms along with other brands over the past couple of years. I find that their work is very credible & pragmatic - much more so than many other sites.

These links will provide you with a good overview of what Axioms are all about:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...ker-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...g-speakers.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/s...ier-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/s...tem-review.html

This roundup test included a Paradigm:

Hopefully these articles will dispel any doubts that you may have. Good luck in your quest...
TAM

Thanks for the direction.. I wonder now if I made the right choice on choosing the m80 over the m100. Its just the m100 are over my budget with the purchase of the vp180. maybe I should just get the m100 first than purchase the 180 after. Any thoughts on this? My room is about 3400 cu ft.
Posted By: fredk Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/06/16 05:01 AM
If you are running the M80s with a sub, the M100 would have been a waste. You are far better off with the upgraded center.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/06/16 07:02 AM
I have the VP160 that has a more 'traditional' (acceptable for some?) driver layout for a CC speaker. It is big, powerful & articulate. My Audyssey 'hears' it at 40 HZ so it certainly reaches low enough in my room. I believe that it would hold its own with any of Axiom's speaker lineup.

You could save a few bucks there to put elsewhere...

TAM
Posted By: Mojo Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/06/16 06:12 PM
I am willing to bet the M100 contains enclosure and x-over enhancements that not only audibly improve the sub-bass but also mid and upper bass as well as the mid-range compared to the M80.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 03:55 AM
I been doing a bit of searching on different forums and Im getting mix reviews from people. They still prefer the paradigm over axiom. From what I read people are saying that the axiom speakers are bit too bright and tiny sounding compare to speakers around +/- price.

This review from soundstage compares the m80's to the monitor 11's....the Studios are likely on another level.

http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=182:axiom-audio-epic-80-800-home-theater-speaker-system&catid=38:equipment&Itemid=2

A tab bright ???? yeh 3 versions ago. Thos people are obviously stuck in the past. They probably never heard the V3 or v4. I had the v1 or Ti and yes I agree. I have the v3 now and I can tell you without a doubt thats in accurate. Monitor 11 ?? I don't think so. I had the Monitor 11 before I had these Axiom M8v3. I have the B&W 603's. I would still take these Axioms anyday of the week. Side be side with Studio 60 I still take these M80. Now if Price is even I am most likely taking the Studio 100v5 over the M80. I know I am as they are the same ballpark $$ wise now. Not sure about the M100v4. But, I can tell you unless your listening to music in 2ch then the v100s are great, but if your using a sub 100% you would of saved alot with just m80v4.
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 05:20 AM
Originally Posted By TroyD

A tab bright ???? yeh 3 versions ago. Thos people are obviously stuck in the past. They probably never heard the V3 or v4. I had the v1 or Ti and yes I agree. I have the v3 now and I can tell you without a doubt thats in accurate. Monitor 11 ?? I don't think so. I had the Monitor 11 before I had these Axiom M8v3. I have the B&W 603's. I would still take these Axioms anyday of the week. Side be side with Studio 60 I still take these M80. Now if Price is even I am most likely taking the Studio 100v5 over the M80. I know I am as they are the same ballpark $$ wise now. Not sure about the M100v4. But, I can tell you unless your listening to music in 2ch then the v100s are great, but if your using a sub 100% you would of saved alot with just m80v4.

Hey Troy, I think the m80 HP is the best around speaker after doing some hard research. I know it's a bit more money for the extra bass but I rather do it right the first time. I would really like to hear from people who upgraded from the m80 HP to the M100.
Posted By: MMM Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 01:20 PM
I would really like to hear from people who upgraded from the m80 HP to the M100.

I think that list of people would be very small if any.

The M100 is a larger speaker. If you have a space/size limitation then the M80HP would make more sense in what it offers. You also have to consider volume levels. You will not tell the difference between most speakers until you turn the volume up and drive the speakers. How loud do you like or want them to go?
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
I would really like to hear from people who upgraded from the m80 HP to the M100.

I think that list of people would be very small if any.

The M100 is a larger speaker. If you have a space/size limitation then the M80HP would make more sense in what it offers. You also have to consider volume levels. You will not tell the difference between most speakers until you turn the volume up and drive the speakers. How loud do you like or want them to go?

I normally play my movies/music pretty loud around 90/95 db sometimes louder for movies. My room size is about 3400 cu ft but my sitting area is 10ft away from the font speakers. I have decided to go with the m80 but what's driving nuts is, to decide which version to go with standard or Hp. The order desk lady is waiting for my credit card lol. FYI I have a Svs pb-2000 sub which is good for movies since it's a ported sub which won't sound good for music. This is why I wanted the Hp version but that means I have spend an extra $700 cry Thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 03:19 PM
If you read the forums, Ian answered my question regrading the M80v4 and the M80v4HP. The HPv4 HP and M100v4 were designed mostly for people who like 2.0ch music at higher volumns. If you are using a Sub or subs with your Music then the difference between the M80v4 and M80v4HP is Moot ( his word Moot ) I cannot find the post right now but will look later.

If your using sub for movies and no sub for music then HP would be the choice. Now the other thing I read alot from quite a few is the M100 need room and space. Your room is 3400cf so probably arounds 17 x 24 x 8. Quite a few responses have been the M100 are 3ft away from the back wall putting these 5 ft to front.

Andrew has even commented on a post I had about extra bass I was wanting as I like 2.0 music and the M80v3 I have are not quite there. He said I'd be wanting the M100, but my room is currently 12x15.5x8 so that is not an option. 90/95db is not a great volumn and with a sub, my money be on the M80v4 and save myself $1500 plus and upgrade that SUB to the SVS Ultra
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 03:34 PM
Maybe 90 db is a bit much for music. Regardless my ported sub won't sound good for music anyway.
Posted By: Wid Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 03:48 PM

I use two ported subs for music and they sound great. A ported sub is fine with music, as long as it's a quality sub, which yours is.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 05:55 PM
Maybe 90 db is a bit much for music. Regardless my ported sub won't sound good for music anyway.

I'm currently testing a JL Audio Fathom F113 (sealed) and a HSU VTF15H mk2 (ported). You would be hard pressed to notice a difference between the two. It's very slight and only noticeable if I a/b content but I can tell you with 100% confidence the ported VTF15H is GREAT for music. It's not leaving my house.
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By spiroh

I'm currently testing a JL Audio Fathom F113 (sealed) and a HSU VTF15H mk2 (ported). You would be hard pressed to notice a difference between the two. It's very slight and only noticeable if I a/b content but I can tell you with 100% confidence the ported VTF15H is GREAT for music. It's not leaving my house.

Spiroh thats great to hear. I think I'm setting the cross over wrong for music with my corrent setup. I have the front speakers set to 80hz and for the sub at 120hz.
Posted By: Wid Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 10:40 PM

That's far to high with the M80's. I set mine at 60HZ but you could go as low as 40HZ for music if you wanted
Posted By: spiroh Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/07/16 10:52 PM
Agreed with Wid. Almost always you never want to go higher than 80hz due to localization. With the m80s 60hz is a great starting point. Also try not to overlap the bass from the towers and sub. Sometimes it's good sometimes not. Set the crossovers to blend at same starting position. So 60hz high pass for m80 and 60hz low pass for sub. Play around with settings a bit to see what works best for your setup.
Posted By: shin204 Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/08/16 12:55 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.. I have one more question. What should I set the crossover Knob to on the sub? Its set to LFE.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Can't decide m80 or m80 hp - 03/08/16 02:23 AM
LFE is the correct setting. That setting gives cross - over control to your receiver.
© Axiom Message Boards