Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ajcook Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 05/05/16 10:23 PM
Wondering if anyone is doing this and can let me know what you used. I was looking at Pangea Speaker Stands these steel stands and wondering if they would work and how much problem there would be securely attaching QS8's (which I don't have yet, but will soon) to the stands? Any other options other than the Axiom stands? They seem a bit pricey for what they are.

The QS-series has a bottom-firing woofer that won't work on a "regular" stand....unless you cut a hole on the stan's platform.
Posted By: ajcook Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 05/05/16 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
The QS-series has a bottom-firing woofer that won't work on a "regular" stand....unless you cut a hole on the stan's platform.

Good point, I forgot about that. So are there any other stands that work with the QS8's or QS6's that wouldn't need a modification like that?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 05/06/16 12:23 AM
The best engineered QSx stands I have ever laid my eyes on are shown at the link below.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=84722
Mojo, Nice!!

I'm welding custom ceiling hangers for 4 qs8's (surround/rear) and 2 m2's (front height). qs8's are at 45 degrees, m2's at 30. Powdercoat is next (won't do that myself).

Posted By: brwsaw Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 05/14/16 09:45 PM
Still using my media towers for stands.
When things improve I'll get 2 more.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B001KW0BEC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463262257&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Prepac+BMA-0160&dpPl=1&dpID=41L-9fk%2BQwL&ref=plSrch

Simply purchase a (round) hole saw and drill out the hole.
Locate the shelves from the bottom up (I used bluray case size spacing), don't use the top shelf for storage. This leaves the gap needed for the bottom drivers sound.
There will be extra pins and an extra shelf. I used 2 pins at the rear,one per side, and sloped a shelf with the slope towards the listener.

If you want something really simple but effective, take a vertical board like a 1x6, fasten it to a decently sized base (say a piece of 2x10), then use the bracket that comes with the speaker to fasten it to the vertical 1x6.

As long as the base is under the speaker it should be pretty stable. Eventually you will probably replace them with the Axiom stands because they look so damn cool, but I had my QS8s on soup cans for quite a few years before that.

some of us used to use cans of food and I used shelf brackets reversed back in the old days.
Posted By: ereed Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 07/27/16 10:57 PM
Will new fms qs stands (has middle bracket) work with older qs8 v2? I ask because binding posts are in middle and wondered if that's an issue since new qs8s have binding posts at far side now. I can see it would touch or go over it?
Posted By: ereed Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 07/30/16 01:01 PM
Looks like I may have to build or modify a stand for my QS8s. Debbie has informed me that the new fms qs stands will not work with older v2 qs8s due to middle bracket covering the binding posts. I asked if they can modify the stand and she said they do not build stands at axiom, they have someone else build/design them and they put it together.

Might try the media tower for stands. I'm more comfy cutting a hole out of something than putting multiple pieces of wood together. smile
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 07/30/16 10:33 PM
The media towers work very well but I've only had them against a wall (~1/2 gap top to bottom).
I purchased 2 more recently. $3 each at a yard sale.
They are a little shorter and need to be painted but I'm excited...
Got a 5" hole saw lined up and should have them ready and installed, with v3 QS8's on top, very soon.
Posted By: ereed Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 07/31/16 02:30 PM
This is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I have two 36 inch dvd media towers and thinking of putting them on sides of couch walls with QS8s on top of it. Now going to home depot to buy 6 inch router bit. Even though I wanted to try to make it higher I realized axiom stands are 36 inches as well so I'm fine. I'm sure there is something out there that can raise the media towers such as foam pads? Hoping I get mine done today and post pics. Also did you keep your backing on the towers or removed them to see the wall through your media tower?
Posted By: ereed Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/01/16 02:47 AM
Got my QS8s up and running. Sounds awesome and glad I didn't spend $300 on a stand I made my own. Here are some pics showing how I did it.
http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/ereed28214/media/20160731_152855_zps0ulyddxa.jpg.html
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/01/16 05:02 AM
Looks good.
I used the provides backboard. It was also black so it looks good. It holds the movies in place(from falling out the back) and adds to the strength of the completed unit.
Posted By: ereed Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/01/16 01:37 PM
I took my backboard out just so the woofer can spread out more and not reflect inside the cabinet. Just my paranoia. lol I'm new to photobucket so I'm curious were you able to see just one pic or the whole album? And I used the 5 inch router, not the 6 inch I thought I was gonna purchase. Also put felt pads on the bottom of the tower to make sliding easier and it raised the tweeter 1/8 inch. ha Right now I have tweeters 41 inches from floor.
Saw whole album, so QS8's on stands. Very nice.
Posted By: ereed Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/02/16 03:31 AM
Thanks!
Only thing I would have done differently is used a shotgun to cut the hole for the QS8 bottom woofer.... but then again I live out in the country where that kind of thing is pretty common.

The combination of shotgun + jigsaw is actually very effective, as long as you wipe off the lead splash before letting kids play with the finished product.

EDIT - I guess this should go under the woodworking thread... I haven't been thrown out of that yet.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/04/16 05:05 AM
Lol
Posted By: ereed Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/04/16 05:44 PM
Ha, if I used a shotgun I would have damaged the whole shelf!
Posted By: fredk Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/16/16 08:07 PM
You'll have to invite Bridgeman over to show you the finer points of shotgun woodworking.
So I go downstairs to the offcuts pile and pick up the first piece of plywood I see:

12 gauge rifled slug.

You get better results if you use a backer board. The front of the hole is much cleaner.
Nicely done Sir
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/17/16 06:34 AM
Lol
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone using non-Axiom stands for QS8's? - 08/17/16 08:15 PM
Had you tightly clamped on a (sacrificial) backerboard, you could have avoided that nasty tear-out.
© Axiom Message Boards