Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CosmicVoyager M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/27/16 01:12 AM
Hello Everyone,
It’s been a long time since I visited here. I’ve been too busy enjoying my speakers. The other night, I heard a low frequency “flutter” coming from the right channel and I’m still not sure what is causing that yet. However, I performed a visual inspection and noticed that one of the two mid drivers had damage to the cone; the cone itself is distorted looking, not like a poke or anything that I’ve ever seen. So I looked at the left speaker and the exact same speaker had the same type of damage but not as pronounced. By the way, I have an older pair of M80 ti’s (2003 circa). Has anyone seen anything like this? I’m at a loss to what caused this. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: bridgman Re: M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/27/16 02:08 AM
Don't think I have ever seen that - you said it's the cone itself and not the dust cover (scratches head).

Does it look like the cone is just angled off center (like someone is pushing sidewards on the voice coil at the back) or something worse ?
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/27/16 01:05 PM
Let me see if I can figure out how to get a picture posted here. The cone has ripples on it, I'm scratching my head too.

[img]https://goo.gl/photos/99XixuvLSecEuU2n9[/img]

[img]https://goo.gl/photos/gPPVuDJ3aN55Kgbs5[/img]
Posted By: Adrian Re: M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/27/16 05:39 PM
They need replacing. Don't know what could have happened to them, but, I'll bet Debbie can fix you up with a couple of new drivers.
Posted By: Mojo Re: M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/27/16 07:32 PM
I've seen that happen with pulp paper drivers when they got wet. The driver however is aluminum so even if it got wet, it shouldn't do that. Perhaps the spider behind the driver somehow got wet or damaged resulting in that deformation.
Posted By: Wid Re: M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/27/16 08:45 PM

I have the same speaker from the same year, no problems to report. I hope Axiom can provide you with new drivers. Not sure if all the changes they made will affect the performance with the older crossover.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/27/16 11:25 PM
Whoa, that is strange. I have seen it before though:

Posted By: TroyD Re: M80 Ti mid driver damage - 10/31/16 01:24 AM
hey, I have two mid drivers from v3 M22's if you want to pay the shipping you can have them.
nothing wrong, Axiom just replaced them because a bit of glue was showing. They shipped out new ones . I will never use these. think they are still in the box
© Axiom Message Boards