Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lonzo Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 03:16 PM
Hi all, I'm working on a media room and wanted to know if you had any suggestions about what kind of speaker setup/which speakers I can get away with and the placement of said speakers.

Thank you and looking forward to your suggestions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VzXvg3OdEBxkoHJkWqnv2kBDE__H_27E/view?usp=sharing
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 03:47 PM
Not a big fan of clicking on links from new members, sorry.
I'm no expert but I'd be willing to give an opinion if you can describe the room using text.
Posted By: Lonzo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 03:50 PM
No problem, if you can suggest a way for me to upload the image directly on here then I can do that.

Regarding the measurements, the room is octagonal and is roughly 2100 cubic feet.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By brwsaw
Not a big fan of clicking on links from new members, sorry.
I'm no expert but I'd be willing to give an opinion if you can describe the room using text.

The link is safe Blair, i tested it for you smile really odd shaped room,looks quite challenging
Posted By: Lonzo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 04:44 PM
Thanks for doing that Socketman.. Yes it is an odd-shaped room which is why I am open to suggestions.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 05:18 PM
I'd get rid of the side couch and move the back couch 3' away from the back wall and center it across the room. That would sound terrific with M5HPs, VP160, EP500, and QS10HPs on the sides. If you're planning Atmos, use M3s or even better, M5HPs on the sides.
Posted By: Lonzo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 06:32 PM
Hi Mojo, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck with the couches where they are (I get my media room, but the wife gets to plan out it's "feng shui"..lol)

Originally I wanted to try for a 7.1 setup however because of how the couch is positioned I feel like it would be a waste.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 06:53 PM
I'd punt your wife from her interior decorator job because her Feng Shui blows dead rats!

Your room has great potential for sounding absolutely fantastic if that rear couch can be moved forward. Maybe you can ditch both couches and get a large semi-circular couch.

You can justify the expense for the couch because you don't need LFRs or an 800. smile
Posted By: Lonzo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 08:25 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about the MP5P, how do they compare to floor-standing speakers?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 09:07 PM
There was a review on soundstage! hifi recently. They received the Reviewer's Choice award. More importantly, they sounded pretty much the same as the floor-standing Revel F206 which is quite the compliment.

Craig Chase has heard them and he says the M5HP with the 800v4 is like a $10,000 system.

I've been thinking about trading my M80v2 for the M5HP. They've been designed from the ground up with improved cabinet bracing, new high power woofer, new tweeter, new midrange, new midrange baffle, new crossover that is carefully tuned to the family of curves. It's one of the few three-way bookshelves out there. I trust Ian and Andrew have knocked it out of the park like the VP160v4 and EP800v4 I recently upgraded to.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 09:46 PM
This could be a really nice room if you put the TV on the short couch wall and moved the long couch parallel with box B. I took a quick look at the the dimensions. Your current layout throws away a lot of performance potential. You are sitting too far and too narrow a ratio for your mains to seating location. Sitting on the back wall is not a good idea. Not only for bass but it really destroys any chance in hitting an optimal layout -which is doable in this space.

Posted By: Mojo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 09:57 PM
You're giving knowledge away for free. Just sayin'... smile
Posted By: Slimpikins Re: Best setup for this room - 01/11/18 11:57 PM
[quote=Mojo]I'd punt your wife from her interior decorator job because her Feng Shui blows dead rats!

You are brutal.... Mojo! Let them blow dead rats or let them eat EP800's
Posted By: Slimpikins Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 12:00 AM
Mojo, want to see something really cool I just made? Go to USAudioMart, go to Amplifiers then Solid State, scroll down down the offerings a page or maybe two until you see the ad for Parasound A21/A31/A51/JC1 Billet aluminum end block handles. I am rather proud
Posted By: Mojo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 01:31 AM
WOW, Slim!!!! Those are gorgeous! I don't even want the amp; just the handles!

So that's what you do all day. Listen to the Ts and 500 while drinking gin and shaping aluminum. There are definitely worse things in life.
Posted By: Slimpikins Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 02:05 AM
I think they came out OK. I never liked the cheap looking (my opinion of course) plastic ends on the amps... and my friend Adam thought the same. So I said let me make up some nice 7075 aircraft aluminum end blocks which can bolt on as replacements. I did and had them anodized after bead blasting and they were a perfect fit!

I have a pair in black which I am picking up tomorrow at the CNC shop and I am anxious to install them on the black A51 as I was blown away at how great the clear anodized ones looked on the silver amp. Man do these elevate the appearance of the Parasounds.... they look like the mega buck amps now. The silver amp photos are of Adams A31 and he has another dual set for his JC1 monoblocks.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 02:19 AM
Isn't there a rule in high end audio that says the amp chassis must be twice the cost of the enclosed electronics?
Posted By: Slimpikins Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 02:38 AM
I am not sure that I learned that rule in all my studies, but I think I was the one who wrote that rule a month or so ago.... Adam has a multi-kilobuck Mark Levinson and he said he loves the half inch thick aluminum panel on it, it just looks so much more substantial than his JC1's. I asked if it was better sounding than the JC1's which are less money. Adam told me that its a toss up. I suggested that I make his JC1's look better than the Levinson or for that matter better than any other amp out there for $250. He asked how do I propose to do that; I said give me the weekend.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 09:27 AM
I thought this was a thread about Lonzo's room setup? wink
Posted By: Lonzo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 12:53 PM
lol No worries people...it's all knowledge for me.

Serenity... what would you suggest works best with my current set up. Ideally I would like to leave the main couch where it is because I would like movie-watchers to also be able to enjoy the fireplace.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 06:19 PM
Does the TV actually fill the wall it is on, or is there some space at the sides for speakers before you hit the wall junction ?

Is the TV wall mounted or on a stand, ie can it be pulled out a bit ?

Rather than rotating the room 90 degrees, what would you think about flipping it so that the TV is on the long straight wall ? That would still give you fireplace view from the long couch, but it would make placement of surround speakers easier and would force the couch away from the wall a bit which would also help the sound.

Are box A/B framing around something smaller like ducts, or are they solid & structural ? Wondering if punching holes in them for in-wall speakers is an option.

Is anyone else looking at box A/B and thinking "Atmos" ?

Cool looking room BTW. Are there windows ?
Posted By: Lonzo Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 06:55 PM
Hi Bridgman, I still haven't decided on the size of the tv however it wont be any bigger than that wall as that it where it will be mounted. (Not opposed to having tv on stand btw)..still weighing out options.

Regarding the tv position, originally it was supposed to be on that long straight wall however we decided to add a fireplace which can only be viewed from the one side. Kind of restricted but it gives you the benefit of enjoying fire while watching tv.

Box B has an airduct running through half of it while Box A is a dummy box which is only being put in place to make the room look more symmetrical..both are hollow...neither box is in place yet as I will be making them out of solid wood once drywall is done (gives me a place to run my cables as well).

Atmos would be kind of cool, just wondering if it may be overkill...I'll defer to you guys about what you think..I am no audio expert

There are also windows...1 right on top of tv, and 1 on each of the angled walls beside the tv + another one over the smaller couch.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing what you think

Posted By: AAAA Re: Best setup for this room - 01/12/18 09:34 PM
When you say "working on a media room" do you mean from scratch studs out? There are a lot of options to tailor the room to a lifestyle based setup. I lean towards full out audio-centric setup, so my advice will always be best case for sound. Carpet for flooring! Hang a heavy tapestry on the angled wall beside the planed fireplace in your drawing. Then delete the fireplace and use it for a built in gear rack location. Get a more practical (for media rooms) electric fireplace for ambience and heat. Put it on the long wall.

5.2.4 with M5HPs up front w/vp160 and M3s for surrounds and in-ceilings in that room. You want your TV on the wall with the small couch. You dont want rear surrounds in that small a room. Your seating distances do not require tower output.

The space is acoustically coupled to another adjoining. You want that garbage reverb energy arriving at the least audible lateral angle -behind you. It is also pleasing and impressive to enter a room to see the grandeur at once -from the back. Your mains will also wash over the adjoining rooms for ambient enjoyment while eating, cooking whatever.

If you are building from scratch ATMOS is really a non decision. You want it. I would also suggest not skimping by going to smaller speakers -like M3s all around.

Shhhh. I didn't say any of this.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Best setup for this room - 01/13/18 01:57 AM
That is a unique room, lol.
Are there any windows to contend with the TV's final location?
The fireplace that's shown is it completely outside the room?
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Best setup for this room - 01/14/18 07:31 AM
Do you have a reciever that can output to a single rear rear channel?
The way I picture this room....I'd use the short sofa only (the long sofa mighy actually work) and place it between box c and box b (somewhat centered) with its back towards the fireplace.
The TV would be placed in front of the 82 1/2"wall. It wouldn't have to be perfectly centered on that wall just look like it might be.
You're going to be fairly close to every speaker so a small speaker should work very well.
I'd try 5 V4 M2's using one centered behind you (possible in walls for all surrounds?) and a fantom center.
Slide the sofa forward or back to taste get an EP500 and call it a day.

If atmos was a consideration I wouldn't hesitate to get a pair of in ceiling M3's.
I've never heard in ceiling M3's but I've day dreamed about numerous rooms using them. Some with only in ceilings throughout. Think geodesic & 20+ channel system.
© Axiom Message Boards