Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D music streamer - 05/13/20 08:30 PM
I've not bothered with streaming music before. But now i'm interested. It seems there are a lot of choices when it comes to streaming. After some reading I have come across the Marantz NA-6006 Network Streamer.
I have owned over the years several other D&M products so I am ok with the brand. Anyone here own this particular piece of equipment or have some thoughts on the subject? I will be using what ever I settle on in a simple two channel system.
thanks in advance,
Jeff
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: music streamer - 05/13/20 09:23 PM
Hi Jeff

I had a Marantz NA 7004 and NA 8005. They were pretty good, both had that relaxed Marantz sound. Neither could handle the highest res files and, as I recall, neither had Tidal.

The Bluesound Node 2 is a bit less expensive than the 6006 and has good reviews. The Sony HAP Z1 is a bit more expensive and has uniformly great reviews.

I ended up with the Gold Note DS-10, a bit pricey, but sounds great.

Good luck to you!
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 05/13/20 10:12 PM
Check out the reviews on Audio Science Review. Big database now. Lots of DAC and streamers measured and disected.

The bluesound is reviewed here

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

Price has almost no correlation with performance you will find. In fact the pricier usually the less of a sure bet....

Anyway, the minidsp SHD was recently reviwed and also has dirac on board. If you havent tried Dirac its worth looking at.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: music streamer - 05/14/20 05:17 AM
Sounds like Amrir didn't like the Bluesound much.
Posted By: michael_d Re: music streamer - 05/14/20 05:04 PM
I don't know about the Marantz you mentioned, but you might want to think about what's important to you. What do you want access to, what type of user interface do you want, will the device be supported for the next xx years, do you want a display - and if so, how big?

I've been looking around at what to replace my "old" Squeezebox devices with. Been looking for at least two years, and I still can't seem to find anything that doesn't add complexity. Seems as if the vast majority of people who do stream, are not all that interested in sound quality, or interested in using anything but their phones, and some half baked free app loaded with adds.

In my case, I want a device that does not require a separate display to see the device menu functions and album art, and it needs to be large enough to see without too much trouble. It should also have a simple remote, or touch-capable. It needs to have access to numerous streaming services (not all do), and I also want access to my FLAC files stored on a network drive. Then there is the software needed to play my music files.....some media players just, well.... suck.

I wish Logitech would have stayed in the game. The Squeezebox devices were simple, easy to use, and worked reasonably well.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/14/20 05:21 PM
Can you all help me understand where the Axiom Air fits in as a music streamer? Recall you can buy this in a "box form" with no speakers and turn your legacy system into a modern system.

I don't know what I don't know.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 05/14/20 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by michael_d
I don't know about the Marantz you mentioned, but you might want to think about what's important to you. What do you want access to, what type of user interface do you want, will the device be supported for the next xx years, do you want a display - and if so, how big?

I've been looking around at what to replace my "old" Squeezebox devices with. Been looking for at least two years, and I still can't seem to find anything that doesn't add complexity. Seems as if the vast majority of people who do stream, are not all that interested in sound quality, or interested in using anything but their phones, and some half baked free app loaded with adds.

In my case, I want a device that does not require a separate display to see the device menu functions and album art, and it needs to be large enough to see without too much trouble. It should also have a simple remote, or touch-capable. It needs to have access to numerous streaming services (not all do), and I also want access to my FLAC files stored on a network drive. Then there is the software needed to play my music files.....some media players just, well.... suck.

I wish Logitech would have stayed in the game. The Squeezebox devices were simple, easy to use, and worked reasonably well.

Sounds like you want Roon. It will turn your existing Ipad\Iphone\Android\PC into a streamer with all the album art you like, plus compatible with Quobuz and Tidal, Plus Network Shares or USB and most importantly is bit perfect. What goes in goes out.

Roon is software that needs a hardware device to render the playback.

Cheapest option is a chromecast Audio with the DAC of your choice. Use the mini optical SPDIF out on the chromecast.

Roon is 10$ a month or 699$ lifetime. Chromecast Audio is discontinued but they are on ebay. A topping D10 was used in the ASR tests and achieved impressive results of. Pretty dang cheap and impressive setup.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/14/20 11:15 PM
Mojo,

The AxiomAir Transformer is a music streamer and has a decent BurrBrown DAC. I believe it would be kind of similar to the Squeezebox Classic without the remote. It has an analog input and a couple of digital inputs and a single analog output.

You connect to it via the AxiomAir App. It can access flac files stored on your NAS or plugged directly into the Transformer via USB. Via the app you can also access Tidal. Spotify Connect is available via devices on the same network. I believe it can also act as a Roon endpoint but have not tried that. One of its nicest features is multiroom Spotify Connect if you have more than one for multiroom audio.

The only current feature it is lacking for me is Qobuz and I use my Squeezebox Touch for that.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/14/20 11:24 PM
Thank you for that education. I am trying to understand why anyone would want anything else than the Axiom Air Transformer.

Performance specs on the Transformer are not published. But besides that, anything else that may be missing?
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/14/20 11:42 PM
Reasons I can think of why someone may want to get something else may include:
No balanced outputs
Qobuz support
Lack of display/touchscreen (only available via the app)
Looking for some ‘high-end’ DAC
If you want a traditional volume control knob and not buttons.
Don’t want to be tied to the AxiomAir App (you could use Spotify almost exclusively via Connect though)

I believe the whole App is being completely rebuilt and there is talk of Qobuz support. So that might mitigate two of those reasons...
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 12:57 AM
I see. Thank you.

I'm particularly interested in what a "high-end" DAC offers vs. the Transformer. Perhaps published performance specs which the Transformer is missing?
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 02:25 AM
Looks like I should’ve read this post first. ( I just posted a similar question about the transformer. ).

I’m wondering about how the volume control works as a preamp? Is it via the app and the buttons on the transformer face?

Is it always a preamp? or is it used as a thru and thru to my receiver at a fixed line level if that’s what I want? Trying to wrap my head around that feature.

How much am I really missing not being able to do 32 bit mqa? Is 24/192 plenty? ( I’m guessing it is).

Is it a single DAC for both channels?

Sounds like you could mirror the app to onto your tv screen too if wanted. Does the transfer app display album art etc?

Thanks all!
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 04:12 AM
Volume can be adjusted either via the buttons or app. You can adjust how many ‘steps’ are changed per click/button push.

You can use it either as a pre or pass-through. You can configure the default volume on startup. Simply set that to 100 for pass-through and you’re good.

I’m of the opinion 24/192 is plenty.

Not sure on the DAC configuration. Would need Andrew’s input there.

The app does display album art. You can also. Customize the background. Can’t say I’ve mirrored it to a television but I can’t see why that wouldn’t work.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 04:58 AM
Thanks Curved. Appreciate it. Sounds like it does everything I want it to do. The way you describe the
“steps “ in the volume control you are basically saying you can adjust the “ gain sensitivity “.? Is that the right terminology ?

Sounds overall like a great device.

Is the ethernet connection reliable? I’ve read about done other more economical streamers and even done on-board Ethernet connections in intergrated amps that are less then good. The main reason I’m buying this is to stream 24/192 on Tidal and get maximum enjoyment and SQ out of Spotify.

Right now I’m streaming Spotify via my Apple TV on the Spotify app to my old non smart tv via HDMI. Then using a 3.5mm out to rca into my receiver. Guess I’m utilizing whatever DAC is in the Apple TV? ( or is HDMI delivering a digital signal to my tv then tv is using an internal DAC)?

Point being , I’m not getting quality DAC from my streaming this way I don’t think. I’m new with the streaming and DAC stuff, but learning. I’m trying to find the balance of good SQ without spending $1000 or more on a DAC.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 03:00 PM
Exactly right regarding gain sensitivity. Volume is 0-100 and you can choose volume adjustments of:1,2,4,5,10,20 per click or button press. You also get to choose a natural or linear volume curve.

I have not had any issues with the Ethernet connection. Although I use that one a lot less than the one that is connected via WiFi.

You would be using the DAC in your tv the way you are describing your connection.
Posted By: Andrew Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Curved Air
Not sure on the DAC configuration. Would need Andrew’s input there.

Thank you so much CA, you've been answering Kodiak's questions perfectly!

Kodiak, with regards to the DAC in the transformer, it's a single stereo DAC handling both channels. It's not R2R, MQA-capable, dual/balanced/current output/non-oversampling, or whatever is the current flavor of the month. It's an incredibly good sounding DAC and has specifications that are pretty much beyond reproach. If you're interested, it's a PCM5122:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm5121.pdf?&ts=1589558809648

One big benefit of this device is the integrated output stage, meaning no external buffers OR coupling capacitors are required. It's a straight shot from the DAC output through a precision Susumu thin-film resistor, to the RCA jacks.

Thanks,

Andrew
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 05:22 PM
Curved Air, Andrew,

Thanks so much for the great info. Looks like I should buy one. Sounds pretty much like what I want. With the bonus of it it being a pre amp as well. ( I’ll need to get my head around there being no dial! Although I won’t be using it as a pre just yet anyway. )

Andrew thanks for the sarcasm there with the flavour of the moment DAC. (I’m assuming it was ) While researching and reading about DACs it’s easy to get caught up in the hyperbole of bit rates and quality unfolds and airy transients. I have no doubt that 32 bit mqa may sound better or different but in all reality, I’m DACing thru my ancient tv into “ old “ m60ti. So I think I’ll be happy with 24/192 via a modern device. I’m also one step closer to adding some more power to my setup.

The one thing I’ve found is that the recording quality REALLY matters. I have songs I play over and over bc they sound great vs others. I’m always searching for “ the good ones. “. I can turn the SPL up and up on good recordings. It’s just incredible. Andrew I tried out your recommended ones from your video the other day. Brubeck Quartet was great but I didn’t get the separation you talked about. So. I’ve got some work to do. I pulled my speakers out into the room and have been playing around ALOT with placement and adjustment. Super fun. I’ve got a bunch of other ideas to run past you guys but I ll leave it there.

I’m loving streaming music and keep finding new to me artists and albums. Or reading equipment reviews or ideas from this forum I just look it up and listen. It’s great!

Ok that went off topic but thanks for listening to my coffee induced ( west coast ) morning rant and comments. Music and my axiom speakers and this forum reading / posting has been a great diversion from everything else and calming. All the best to you guys out there enjoying tunes!
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 05:46 PM
You can't beat the taste of a Shashimi thin-film resistor that mates the DAC to the RCA jack!

Sashimi resistors - made in China but taste like Japan.

Seriously though, anytime a resistor costs 22 times what a run-of-the-mill one does, it ought to be good!
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 05:55 PM
I want one but have no need for it.

Eventually I will have a need and I will buy it.

I feel bad not having one.

Of everything Axiom I want one.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew
Thank you so much CA, you've been answering Kodiak's questions perfectly!
Only a pleasure Andrew.

You guys have been great to work with and I’m happy to help out where I can.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 05/15/20 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the different informative reply’s. There are way too many choices available, but a lot of this hobby is all the reading/research you get to do.
So Phil-
The Sony HAP Z1 has gotten my attention, it has everything and then some. Might just do the trick.
I’ve had several Sony receivers and CD players over the years so I am familiar with the brand.
As a first step into steaming it’s a little more expensive than what I’ve budgeted. But what the hey, I’m not getting any younger.
Thanks all
Jeff
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 01:19 AM
Wow! Great choice. Enjoy.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 02:41 AM
Not sure what happened to my reply. It said submitted and disabled the submit button bc I tried to push it again. Oh well.

I wanted to say that the Sony looks amazing!! Nice choice for sure. It won’t do Tidal though from what I read. ( I could be wrong) not sure if that was important to you or not, so just pointing it out.

I also wanted to tag another question in about the Transformer...is there a limit to the USB port / app as to how much data it can support. IE How big a USB can I plug in there?

Another q , if in the future I purchased a pair of m3 wireless would my transformer work to send a signal to them as a bedroom setup?

Happy Friday all, if you’re still able to discern the days of the week.

Dam that Sony streamer looks good.......
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 03:08 AM
But then again after a little more searching there’s this. The Salk StreamPlayer Generation 3 seems to check a lot of boxes also. And a little less than the Sony ES.
Jeff
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 04:49 AM
JintheD

That Salk looks really good too. !!

I like that it has Roon. The best interface by the sounds of it. Looks like a more flexible machine than the Sony.

Another good option.

Happy shopping, fun times!
Posted By: michael_d Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 03:52 PM
Did you look at the Cambridge Audio devices? I was at one point, but couldn't bring myself to hit the buy button. I was looking at the Azur line before. They have a few different network and/or streaming devices. None are cheap.

One thing I noticed with many of these devices, and different software/app choices, is the curious lack of Pandora support. Why is that?

I still just want an upgraded SB Touch.
Posted By: brendo Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 05:29 PM
The Cambridge units have been getting a lot of attention lately. They start around 1K seem really robust/beefy units. That do compare to much higher end units minus some minor details of retrieval..
As far as I can tell for the most part go for the functions you want as most are very similar to one another now. Or simply a brand you're familiar with. Just don't go to cheap or your Axioms will tell you
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 08:50 PM
It sounds like what Axiom ought to do is stick the DAC and sushi resistor in a fancy box and sell it at 10 times the price, yeah?
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 09:05 PM
Love the sushi resistor!! Hilarious.

That’s a good idea Mojo. Fancy box with a screen and big on board SSD hard drive.

They could name it the Sashimi Streamer.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 09:18 PM
That is so awesome! I nearly spilled my wine. LOL!

Can those expensive streamers be controlled wirelessly? Or just via their local panels?

I do think Axiom could appeal to a different market with nicer metal-work and graphics, etc. I can't bring myself to pay more for that fluff. For me, it's all about functionality, performance and reliability. Aesthetics come second unless those aesthetics are necessary for the other three.
Posted By: michael_d Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 09:34 PM
At least one of the Cambridge streamers has BlueTooth.

I had not looked at the Axiom device before today. It does seem to check a lot of boxes. If it were in a larger case, and had a display that could show you album art, I'd probably buy one. I just can't get all that excited over using a phone or tablet to operate it, or any device. I bought one of the N2's almost a year ago. Used it a couple of times, got tired of having to operate it with one of my tablets. I haven't used it in at least 8 months.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 09:42 PM
That's really interesting feedback.

Why don't you like using a device to operate your stuff?

I know for me, I don't mind provided the interface is responsive. If it's not, I just return the shit wherever I bought it. I have no time for that in my life. That's also an area I work in. I work hard to make stuff very usable so when others don't, I get really upset.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/16/20 10:37 PM
Kodiak, they could have a few different sushi streamers:

1. Sashimi - no fillers. Just a gorgeous box and guts.

2. Nigiri - comes with fillers. An alpha-numeric panel and SSD.

3. Temaki - Like Nigiri but the alpha-numeric panel is replaced with a holographic projector for album art.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 01:44 AM
Love it!

You could add the “ Tako” option.....( octopus )
It gives 8 different connection options for a full featured unit.

Seriously though, you CAN purchase AXIOM Pre and integrated amps. And have the transformer / AIR. embedded into it. The descriptions read more like geared towards “ pro “ applications. But if it’s anything like all their stuff ( understated and high quality , and well thought out , at least that’s my perception ) they’re probably really good. I actually really like that AXIOM isn’t flashy and over glittered with crazy ad space and fancy commercials. The product speaks for itself.

The willingness to try new stuff. I mean their wireless setup embedded into floorstanders and bookshelves with MORE than adequate power. Omnidirectional speakers , oh wait let’s try active DSP. Taking some risks and experimenting and following science. Just awesome. If that philosophy aligns with a person than it’s a good fit.

Oh and it’s Canadian.

Ok , Impromptu rant over!!

Yaki Soba Cables. ( that’s the noodle dish , I know I know , genious).
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 03:23 AM
You say all these good things about Axiom, and you only have the used ti. You'd be erecting statues with v4 M60s and HP drivers.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 04:34 AM
Yeah it’s probably true. I’d probably faint.

Admittedly I haven’t heard a ton of speakers and nothing terribly “ expensive “. But these m60ti are the best I’ve heard. It could be the room too. Whenever I heard anything else it was in a shop or big store with terrible rooms or large open space.

After hearing these m60ti though and getting to know their sound and fine tuning the position etc my strategy now is to upgrade components but with the idea that as I upgrade to purchase items that could eventually work well a new pair of Axioms. I’d be willing to try m60HP or even m80 HP. m100 probably overkill. ( or not? ).

I’ve even wondered about m5HP with twin ep 500. We ll see. No rush. Gonna max out the components here over time and enjoy what I’ve got. Then I’ll slip some new HP’s in here one day.

I hope I don’t come off like a “ fan boy “ too much ( yes I’d wear a trucker hat or tshirt if they made one!) but to be able run a company and maintain a philosophy and follow thru with good products and customer service is a real achievement.

Why am I worried about being a fanboy..... what’s your current in house axiom stock mojo? ( smirk. ).
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 05:12 AM
The M100 would not be overkill for you. You'd need an ADA-1000. Any more amp with the M100 would be too much for your listening distance.

The M5s put shame to your M60ti. I replaced my M80v2 with M5s and the difference in soundstage, imaging, accuracy and emotional satisfaction was immense. The M100s are even cleaner and more dynamic.

If you do get M5s, the ADA-1000 won't be enough for you.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 07:14 AM
I control the Gold Note DS-10 with a tablet. Very convenient.
Posted By: michael_d Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mojo
That's really interesting feedback.

Why don't you like using a device to operate your stuff?

I know for me, I don't mind provided the interface is responsive. If it's not, I just return the shit wherever I bought it. I have no time for that in my life. That's also an area I work in. I work hard to make stuff very usable so when others don't, I get really upset.

I like simplicity. I am NOT a tech guy, despite having the crap throughout my house and in my life. Electronic devices crash way too frequently. Don't even get me started on passwords......
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 05:32 PM
Yup. I agree.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 06:58 PM
Michael d ,

I totally get not liking the tech. I was not into at first. I don’t need to extol the virtues of streaming music too you because it’s awesome. I’ve found so many great songs and artists and new genres too.

So my current setup isn’t “ hi if” per se. I’m running Spotify and Tidal on an Apple TV with the apps in Apple TV not AirPlay. Apple TV plugged HDMI into tv. Then I’ve got a simple 3.5mm to rca into my receiver from the tv. It’s sounds ok. Anyway , the point of me telling you this is after doing this setup I really want a dedicated streaming component and DAC. And one feature I really like is having it all displayed on my tv. ( which is centered between the speakers. ). I control via my Apple TV remote or the remote in my Apple iPhone.

I can mirror my phone to the Apple TV and do it that way but things are more reliable when plugged in via Ethernet. I like turning it on and hit play and come and go doing things around the house. Walk in and look at tv to see what’s playing. Or sitting down and the display is huge a readable and adds an element of ambiance with the art work.

I guess I’m saying it’s easier than I thought and a nice big display to interact with is really nice.

I’m very likely going to spring for an axiom transformer as you said it does tick a lot of boxes and use it in a similar way. I’m hoping it mirrors off my phone nicely to my tv for a similar setup to what I currently use.

I’m still trying to figure out if I can use transformer without the app and just as DAC. I’d give the Transformer another look perhaps.

There’s a lot of options out there. I’m still in the hunt so I’ll let you know if I come across anything else that looks good.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 07:04 PM
I can't see how to use the Transformer without the app. The app is needed for monitoring and control.
Posted By: michael_d Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 07:25 PM
Kodiak,

Sounds like you and I have similar needs/preferences. I too find streaming music pretty awesome. I have note tabs next to my two Touch devices to jot down new bands or songs I like whenever they may play on Pandora. I have not tried the other streaming services, as Pandora is OK. I opt for the premium service and pay their annual fee. No adds is a bonus. After I get a few songs/albums noted, I buy the CD. Then I rip it to FLAC for the home system, and MP3 for my vehicles via USB thumb drives.

I guess I'm being resistant to using my TV for the display. Seems such a waste of energy to use a 65" display. I suppose I could just get a touch monitor and set that on my equipment rack.

One other gadget you should take a look at, and one I'm really close to buying, is the Nvidia Sheild TV Pro. It has a rabid fan base.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 08:36 PM
Mojo I think you’re right. You have to use the app.

But it could be used “ quasi “ thru DAC.

For example:

I play a CD in my CD player. Transport only via optical out to optical into Transformer. Signal goes thru DAC and out to receiver via rca out. Once I’ve picked the input in the app and have pre volume set ( In this case 100%) then my interactions are just with my CD player and receiver remote control. Not the app.

This is my interpretation of it anyway.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 08:48 PM
Michael d

I’ll look at that nvidia. Thanks. Never heard of it.

I’ve never used pandora. I use Spotify the most. Whenever I come across a new artist name or tune I just search and like it in Spotify. I use the note pad in my phone as my phone is usually with me. ( never wanted an iPhone in the first place, it was free so I said sure I’ll try it out , and now I use it a lot. Addictive little gadget ) Then I search further for better recordings of that artist.

I’ve just started a free trial on Tidal so I have less feedback there. But I REALLY like the interface of Spotify. It’s fantastic. If Spotify went Hi res I’d be a one stream app person.

Something I’d like to do is get all my cds ( hundreds ) into a hard drive. My one thing I don’t like about streaming is I don’t own the music. I have a great collection but it’s not “ mine”. Must be a way to rip / record those files to a hard drive.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 10:56 PM
What does the Nvidia thingy give you that an Amazon Firestick 4K for $50 doesn't? You need a TV to work both.

The Firestick just plugs into my 9-year old Onk's USB port. I got Tidal, Spotify, Amazon everything, Netflix and all the world's garbage channels I could shake a stick at.
Posted By: michael_d Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 11:18 PM
I have two FireTV sticks, 4K. They do what they do very well, but they do not access the hard drive where I keep my music files (maybe they can though, I have not tried). The Nvidia thingy also has internal storage, memory, 3.0 USB ports, and for the gamers....you can use it as a game thingy. From what I gather, it also has high res audio output, and will convert to Atmos. Looks like it's unavailable right now.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/17/20 11:26 PM
The Firestick 4K supports DLNA. I have never used it but apparently it works.

It supports these media formats via HDMI (no analog out):

AAC-LC, AC3 (Dobly Digital), eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC)

I am not trying to push the Firestick 4K by the way. I am just trying to understand the differences between all these streaming devices.
Posted By: Jc Re: music streamer - 05/18/20 08:20 AM
Hi Michael,

... They do what they do very well, but they do not access the hard drive where I keep my music files (maybe they can though, I have not tried) ...

They will if you install "Plex" which is a free application. You can also add storage to the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K. It is a bit tricky but there are several tutorials on YouTube.

There is a new streaming device similar to the Amazon Fire TV STick 4K but you can easily increase its internal storage. It is the Tivo Stream 4K. It is being introduced at $49 US. There are also a few tutorials on it on YouTube.

jc
Posted By: rrlev Re: music streamer - 05/18/20 03:28 PM
I occasionally do some streaming but prefer owning my digital music.

Although the main library is accessible from the NAS, I find many instances where it's better to have the music local. This especially applies to portable devices like phones, iPads, and cars. Also, with the falling price of USB sticks, receivers, preprocessors and soon a few axiom transformers.

The main problem is keeping all the devices up to date. I have always done this manually but really need to come up with a few scripts.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/18/20 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I’m still trying to figure out if I can use transformer without the app and just as DAC. I’d give the Transformer another look perhaps.

Depending on your usage you can get close to using it without the app.

You can certainly use it as a DAC. That’s how I’ve got mine configured with my Squeezebox. The Transformer is at 100% volume, Squeezebox connected to it via optical and I control everything through the Squeezebox in this configuration. Once the transformer supports Qobuz I’ll reassess. You certainly need the app to initially configure it, but once configured you can use a button to select input source and it’ll function as a pass through DAC without needing the app.

Originally Posted by Mojo
I can't see how to use the Transformer without the app. The app is needed for monitoring and control.
Another approach would be to rely on Spotify Connect. Again you’d have to initially configure the Transformer, but after that you can use the Spotify App to pretty much do everything just like you do on almost any device. It acts as an endpoint.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 05/18/20 07:29 PM
I should have been more clear. I meant *an* app and not *the* app.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/18/20 07:31 PM
All good smile
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/19/20 03:52 AM
Curved,

Thanks!! That’s what I was hoping for. And good point re: Spotify Connect. I love that feature. I use it all the time. Super useful. Really appreciate the info and you taking the time to answer.

I’m considering the Transformer once again. It really fills all the things I want to be able to do as a “ streamer “ and DAC. That’s great. And I’m more than happy buying from a Canadian company.

I’ve got nothing to lose by trying it out. 30 day in home try out.

I’ll probably look again to see if there is anything at the Transformer price range and feature set that competes. Let y’all know if I find anything.

It’s pretty easy to find a DAC at the price of the transformer but to get wireless connect and software all built into a streamer plus a pre amp , is pretty hard to beat.
Posted By: Curved Air Re: music streamer - 05/19/20 06:52 PM
If you do pull the trigger I found initial setup/config via Ethernet faster an easier than WiFi.

Sounded like you were going to use Ethernet regardless but thought it worth mentioning. It’s easy enough to unplug the Ethernet and use WiFi once configured if needed.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 05/22/20 12:33 AM
Thanks Curved. You are right. Will likely use Ethernet. Still deciding on what to do.

Coincidently as I’m deciding on a streaming option my current Receiver is now having issues. ( 1993 Yamaha Rx595). The motor on the volume knob is not functioning now / intermittently. The little screen is flashing and intermittent. Some of the controls are still staticky even after a cleaning.

Soooooo.... I’m considering a new integrated or pre more seriously now as well as a streamer.

I was pretty sure I was going to grab a transformer as a streamer and keep rocking with my old yammy. It does the job just fine. Good amount of power to a point for medium loud.

Anyway maybe I’ll start a new post to not hijack this one.

Closing thought on the Axiom Transformer as a serious shopping consumer is, it looks great and has the right features and I’m inches away from buying one. I consider it a solid quality option and great value [/color].I’ll see what I decide for amplifier options as that will gave an influence on what I decide for a streamer too. I don’t want to buy double on features that the Transformer has and on what certain integrateds or pre’s have. But also want to make choices that support larger speaker upgrade in long term too. ( m80hp or m100 , 5 years or more from now. ).
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 02:30 AM
After a little deliberation I finally purchased the Marantz NA-6006 Network Streamer.
I’ve had it now for a bit, along with Amazon Music HD.
It does the couple of things I was looking for.
I imagine it’s capable of a lot more, we’ll see.

cheers,
Jeff
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 02:38 AM
Curious if you are getting the promised HD. I wasn't with Amazon's own Firestick 4K so I cancelled. Apparently I was right about my assessment and was the first to report it.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 03:00 AM
Mojo,
I do not know but I am enjoying what I am getting. But hell, there was a time I thought Fisher speakers were the finest audio quality available.
So who knows,
Jeff
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 03:08 AM
Well then don't worry about it. Fishers are indeed stunning under the influence of Purple Kush.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 03:29 AM
Nah, Blue Dream if anything.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 03:36 AM
It looks pretty. I want Blue Dream hair.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 03:42 AM
IDK
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 04:50 AM
If I had Blue Dream hair, I'd be an even stronger chick magnet. I wouldn't even need 'nads! They'd be a bonus.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 10:23 AM
The huge influx of DACs and Streamers sure has me curious. Im still using an Arcam rBlink (bluetooth receiver with built in DAC) and its great. But its been 8 years or so...

I have a chromecast audio as well, but it is relegated to the garage setup. Dont like its sound as much as the Arcam. Still fantastic for the $35 I paid.

Anyone have a “high end” streamer/DAC or bluetooth DAC they can recommend? I am not interested in a product that needs an app to use so the Axiom transport is out.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 07:55 PM
I've tried Firestick 4K, Chromecast audio and video with my actives and M2v4 bookshelves and can't tell the difference. Maybe I could with an A/B switcher...dunno. Or maybe your cables? smile
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 09:24 PM
I think the difference is chromecast and firestick use spotify connect (pull directly from server). When I send via bluetooth my ipad does whatever audiology AAC processing apple applies. Aparently I like it more? Not sure what they are up to.

I figure even a newer bluetooth DAC has got to be a little better than the old setup.... with aptX or Sony’s LDAC version onboard.

Spotify is capped at 356kbs or so. Probably over thinking this....
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 11:18 PM
I've rapidly come to the conclusion bit rate matters to a point and how the recording was mic'd and mixed matters a LOT. I frankly get a heck of a lot of enjoyment from well-mic'd and mixed recordings on YouTube and that's what? 256K?
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 12/17/20 11:58 PM
Yeah, dynamic range is king.
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/18/20 01:51 AM
Not sure it's all about dynamic range either. Sure, that's important. I'm talking about soundstage dimensions, image resolution and space between the images. I think this has to do with mic'ing and mixing and maybe with the spatial relationships between performers and the venue.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 12/20/20 12:15 AM
Here’s a youtube treat fer ya. Probably already seen it though.... smile

https://youtu.be/ve4cBOnSU9Q
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 12/20/20 02:27 AM
Aural porn. smile I'll bet most of the YouTube audience is missing the spatial treat.

We were listening to the CD and DVD of Diana Krall live in Paris yesterday. The DVD is just bloody awful. It is missing the emotion of the CD version. I suspect it has to do with a difference in bit depth.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: music streamer - 12/27/20 09:25 PM
Gold Note DS10 Streamer DAC with PSU10 power supply. Very nice sound quality. I play Qbit and Tidal hires, unfolds MQA, very nice.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: music streamer - 12/27/20 10:56 PM
Price? Cough.

Edit. Dont answer. Just being provocative... laugh
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: music streamer - 12/28/20 02:40 AM
Very pricey for me, but, it's the lowest priced streamer/DAC I auditioned that I thought has excellent sound quality.

I am an addict, you know.
Posted By: rrlev Re: music streamer - 12/28/20 02:56 AM
2x6, you must have excellent hearing ... I’m pretty sure my ears are over 6db down by 15k. So all that fancy bit rate quadrupling doesn’t matter for me ... save a ton of cash that way.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: music streamer - 12/28/20 03:58 AM
I figure I should do the best I can with what I have. I compared the GN DS10 with some Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, no comparison IMHO. The Aurender sounded as good but cost much more. The DcS stuff, well, that's money and it sounds like it.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 12/28/20 04:05 AM
The Gold Note DS10 Streamer DAC looks great and I imagine sounds wonderful but I’m afraid it would be wasted on me.
Jeff
Posted By: Rebulx Re: music streamer - 12/28/20 04:50 AM
great share Trevor! Enjoyed that one!
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 12/28/20 08:37 AM
Same here. Pretty cool actually. Never seen a cello so picked apart!! Worthy.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 12/28/20 07:33 PM
Same here, must have taken a while to produce that!

Jeff
Posted By: Kodiak Re: music streamer - 12/30/20 03:04 AM
Jeff, congrats on the Marantz streamer. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

After re-reading some of this post I realized I should tell y’all I FINALLY pulled the trigger on an Axiom Transformer. Still getting acquainted with it but I’m liking what I hear. It’s a very tangible difference for the better. Especially when playing Tidal via the axiom app at 24/44khz.

I’m still trying to put words to it but it’s just, better. It’s smoother. Pleasing. Better than before at lower volume, things focus easily. I’ll report back more.

Embracing the technology, it takes patience. There is something to be said for just owning “ the disk “ and put it “ in the machine “.
Posted By: bridgman Re: music streamer - 01/01/21 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Here’s a youtube treat fer ya. Probably already seen it though.... smile

https://youtu.be/ve4cBOnSU9Q

Huh... don't think I ever saw Ethan (as in RealTraps and audio guru at large) on YouTube before. Thanks for the link.

https://realtraps.com/contact.htm
Posted By: Stereoguy99 Re: music streamer - 01/06/21 12:21 AM
Hi: I'm new to this type of tech so be gentle...or not!!! frown grin Trying to decide to get sometime in the very near future either the Axiom or the one listed below in the link after buying a OLED,VP160 .new blu ray AVR, 2 channel amp wondering if the Audio Engine is good enough???,

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/adapters/b-fi-multiroom-music-streamer/

Which streaming service do people find the "best" when balancing out the cost per month??From reading up so far seems Tidal is very good but costly?Thanks to everyone here a safe happy/healthy new year (belated)
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 01/06/21 12:39 AM
I don't like Tidal's user interface. I use Spotify Premium and will switch to Amazon if it ever gets supported in the Air.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 01/06/21 12:43 AM
SG99,
I’m the wrong person for your Streamer question. I purchased the Marantz, I’m satisfied with it.
For what I consider a reasonable expense Amazon Music Hd is quite sufficient. For those with a more discerning ear QoBuz would be the better choice. Not a fan of Tidal but that’s just me.
ymmv
Jeff
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 01/06/21 01:11 AM
Jeff, how do you listen to Amazon Music on the Air?
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 01/06/21 02:03 AM
Mojo,
I do not currently own an Axiom Air. Perhaps there is one in my future.

Jeff
Posted By: Mojo Re: music streamer - 01/06/21 04:58 AM
So, what do you listen to on the deck and while strutting down the street?
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: music streamer - 01/10/21 02:20 AM
With my truck I received a 3 month trial of Sirius XM. So, in the house I’ve accessed it through the Marantz Streamer, playback through my 2 channel system.
Perhaps I’m guilty of some sort of bias but Sirius which doesn’t sound that good in the truck is quite satisfying in the house.
I don’t think I’m going to continue with it but surprisingly it’s not bad.

Jeff
© Axiom Message Boards