Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Kodiak ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/27/22 03:30 PM
Hi all.

I'm just wondering if people could share their knowledge of the ZA-1000. I'm buying one to install at work. We have 4 areas we want to be able to control independantly for volume. We are purchasing the unit with the Axiom Transformer embedded in it too.

Can I play different sources over all 4 zones?
Or mix and match?
Or is it one source for all zones and just adjust volume?
Online, when I select "channel of amplification" that refers to the number of sets of 2 channel amplfication, correct?

I've tried zooming in on the photo but it's not high res enough to see the specifics.

I'm going to verify with Axiom before I put the order in, but I know you guys are super helpful and might be able to provide some good insight here. I'm ordering it today as we need it to ship ASAP.

We will eventually upgrade our speakers too, M3 onwalls I think and Algonquins for the outside zone.

Its hilarious, becuase this has absolutley nothing to do with the actual work I do, at all. But it came up with in another department and I was totally physched to help with it. I was like, " I have just the right solution for you guys". I'll be doing the "install" too. Should be as simple as plug and play as all the speaker wire is already in place.

Thanks,
Kodiak
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/27/22 09:35 PM
Yes verify, we bought one for an install and had to return for another option from Axiom. The webpage is not clear.

One source all zones. You can hook up more than one input source and select, but it applies to all outputs.

It is more for a bar or PA application where quality amps with volume per zone are needed, but same output.

All in all it was ok. Just not for our purpose.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/27/22 09:44 PM
Hey Trevor,

Thanks for the info on that. Thats exactly what it is for. 4 areas: An entrace foyer area, bar area, dining room area and a patio outdoor space. Sounds like it fits our needs perfectly. We don't need to play different sources at he same time, but that would 've been cool, but totally not needed.It's really more about the different volumes required for the different spaces and I a simple interface for wifi streaming of music or streaming direct over airplay to it.

I'll verifiy before pulling trigger but it sounds like it fits the bill.

cheers.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/28/22 12:42 AM
"There are three main inputs selectable from a switch on the front, as well as a separate input for each set of channels if you desire to have different sources playing in different zones. This option is selectable using a toggle switch beside each volume control for each set of channels."

You can buy with 2, 4, 6 or 8 channels.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/28/22 07:56 AM
Exactly why we had to return. Not quite as per webpage. Went with ADA-1000 instead and volume dials.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/28/22 01:06 PM
Did they say they can't build it as described?
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/28/22 03:12 PM
Couldn’t get thru. Trying again today.

It looks like if I want the axiom air transformer embedded into the integrated I have to wait 25 days. I’m going to just buy the integrated 4 channel and the transformer separately. Then there’s no waiting. Just the regular 7 business days.

I’ll report back if I can get thru.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/29/22 09:19 AM
It was a good value and well built for sure. Pretty tanky.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/30/22 04:51 PM
Thanks Trevor. Tanky is good. I got a response from Axiom and sounds like to embed the Air unit in would be a 25 day wait as they are waiting on chips and supply chain shortages etc. So I just went with the Air Transformer as a seperate unit. That will work out fine, space isn't an issue reaally and anything we do will be an upgrade compared to what is in place right now.

Trigger pulled. 4 channel za-1000 and an Axiom Air Transformer en route. Should be good for our purposes. Next is to convince them to go with m3 on walls thru out the place and some algonquins outside. Would be nice to wood grain match to the walls too, it's a log building. Right now it's black boxes, some older Klipsch rp-51's or something. Unsightly in my opinion compared to nice real wood veneer! Maybe next spring we can do that. Stoked to give this za-1000 a try.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/30/22 07:35 PM
Buy now because in 6 months, production everywhere will come to a crawl.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/30/22 07:51 PM
tell me more.....supply chains aregoing to get even worse?
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/30/22 09:04 PM
Yup. And because you are a fine, hard-working, young man, I recommend you invest in XBM and COW. TXF is on a fire sale so you'll want that too. RS is excellent for real estate and ENS for midstream energy. Those last 3 have nice divies.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/30/22 09:06 PM
I don't know about all that, but I am considering an M2 passive as a desktop system for my new office.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/30/22 09:06 PM
I only invest in things i understand or have some kind of inkling of what it is.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 04/30/22 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I don't know about all that, but I am considering an M2 passive as a desktop system for my new office.

If you plan on a sub and electronics with bass management, an M1 may be easier to accommodate on your desk if Axiom would build it for you. Without bass management, go M2.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/01/22 12:20 AM
I was thinking M2 passive as a near field at my desk as it will do the job and then I can play with them elsewhere in the house too whenever I want. Trying to pick out an amp right now that can play the m2 and has a medium to high quality headphone amp as well, without spending a fotune. I remember rrlev mentioning one somewhere that we chatted about. He has it, its a JLab or J studio or something. Drop me a note to remind me rrlev. Cant recall if it has bass managemnet or not. But ithink id like to have the option with the m2, just becuase.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/01/22 01:46 AM
You'll be hard-pressed to find a 2.1 receiver with bass management. I seem to recall Onkyo has one but it's north of 700 canuckaroos.

There's a black oak M2 in b stock. Slim tells me the black oak veneer is pretty sweet.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/01/22 02:07 AM
I think I’d pick a 2 channel without bass management but it’s got to have a high quality headphone and DAc too. I want a good desktop headphone setup too. My work scenario is changing ( same same but I’m able to work from home ALOT more ) so I’m building up my office.

Yeah I was checking those out in the bstock. That’s a great price. All black setup in the office would be good. I’ll “sleep on it” and grab em tomorrow. Wink.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/01/22 02:37 AM
Yamaha wxa- 50 is streaming 2 channel integrated amp and DAc with sub out. But doesn’t say if it has bass cut off high pass etc. I think you’re right, might be hard to find a 2.1 with bass management
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/01/22 03:07 AM
You'll have to check if this one has bass management. It also has MACC room EQ. May only be able to do 50W into the M2 though. Great connectivity and apps.

Depending on placement and room, you may or may not get bass bloat with the M2s. So it's safer to go with bass management - or in the case of the Pioneer, you could use the MACC to relieve any bass issues.

You will want a sub in your office. But you don't have to run out and get one at first. Just enjoy the M2s as they are.

https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/products/2ch_components/sx-s30/
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/01/22 05:51 PM
My office is in open space in our 1200 sq foot unfinished basement. Im not sure if i will wall it in or not. So bass might not be a problem at all in the open space. Thinking of a near field setup with speakers 30-50cm away from me. I'll check out that pioneer too, thanks.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/01/22 07:17 PM
Like the M3, the M2 is rear-ported. So you'll want to keep it at least a foot away from a boundary. I had mine set up with their backs 2 feet from the front wall in my livingroom and the bass wasn't bloated or lacking. Even in my main room, when I had them 3.5 feet away, bass was good.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/02/22 03:57 PM
Trigger pulled! M2v4 Black Oak B-stock just ordered. Can't wait to start doing some comparisons. I'll finally be home in a bout a week from work and starting my new remote work from home (mostly from home) gig (same work, just at a better location, home!) So there will be lots of time to compare and adjust and chat on the forum about it. Stoked you guys! Next is to check out that pioneer mojo suggested and do some more research into amps and recievers, still need some thing for the bedroom setup too.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/02/22 05:52 PM
Pretty cool. Since you're accumulating more of the family, you'll quickly develop an understanding of the similarities and differences in their characters. smile
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/04/22 04:21 AM
M5HPv4 are next on the list to be adopted into the family.

I’ve got room for them all now!!

Need a setup in the garage too…..maybe some OW’s?
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/04/22 05:11 AM
Hmmmm...yeah. M5OW.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/04/22 04:36 PM
Now that you're working from home, you won't get anything done other than listen to Axioms and chat on this board.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/05/22 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mojo
Now that you're working from home, you won't get anything done other than listen to Axioms and chat on this board.

I know, it might be a problem...but it's a good problem to have. I can live with it! Can't wait to try out my M2's. Looking forward to doing some mixing and matching of speakers, locations, and trying with different amps etc, once I buy a few more amps and sources etc. Fun times, love this stuff, it's a great hobby and onethat I don't feel the need to take too seriously and just enjoy it. In the end its all about just enjoying music and cool sounds and gaining a deeper understanding of how it all works.
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/05/22 06:34 PM
See? It's already starting. Does your boss know you're on the boards?

Yeah...dude...just you wait for those M2s. I don't want to influence your opinion. Oops! I think I already did that over a series of 1,983 previous posts. Sorry 'bout that.

Can't wait 'till you are a critic like me who of course only gives facts and not opinions.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/08/22 09:41 PM
Yeah. It’s pretty much all your fault, I agree with that for sure.

Hard to say no to a good b-stock deal plus the loyalty discount.

Guess I’ll have to keep and use my yammie as my “reference” amplifier!! Ha ha!!
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 12:28 AM
I evil. But you goaded me to gently peer pressure you. smile
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 12:45 AM
Well ya….of course I did. Then I HAD to buy them!!
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 12:53 AM
And soon, ye shall bear witness to the holy trinity - the one with no mid, the one with no woofer and the one with all three.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 03:35 AM
I have travelled far and my journey continues to the one with all 3……(enter sweeping epic soundtrack music )…..
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 03:53 AM
And Audiophiles we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee
Sound Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our ears may swiftly carry out Thy commands
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with drivers shall it ever be
In Nomeni Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 04:37 PM
That’s some good writing there Father Mankini. Seriously pretty, pretttttty, pretty good.

Were you wearing your lime mankini like a cilice and writing it by candle light with a quill instrument Devinci code style? ( by the way that movie was way over done and did not portray the Catholic Church very well, just saying, but it was entertaining. ).

Anyway, good poem.

Interesting that we have been chatting both religion here and science and math elsewhere. The audiophile vortex brings it all together.
Posted By: rrlev Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 04:48 PM
Kodiak, don’t encourage him or else that may be all you see on every thread for the next month!! eek
Posted By: Mojo Re: ZA-1000 Purchase and Questions - 05/09/22 05:14 PM
I can't take credit for that verse. I stole it and added my twisted audiophilia to it. The credit goes to "one hit wonder director" Troy Duffy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ka9mkEBfM
© Axiom Message Boards