Axiom Home Page
Posted By: johnbasham magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/09/03 12:07 AM
I know that a speaker positioned close to a TV should be shielded, but how far would a non-shielded model, need to be away from the TV? Just far enough that the picture or color were uneffected, or is there a "given rule" because of long term damage, or whatever?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/09/03 12:24 AM
Id say if you can see color distortion because of the speakers. too close. just turn the tv on and off a couple times it should go away. my tv used to have a small spot in the corner that was affected for a long time. its pretty much gone now that i dont have whatever was causing the damage there.
Posted By: sushi Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/09/03 03:21 PM
The minimal distance would depend on the individual speaker designs. But the conventional wisdom is, "a few feet" away from CRT...?
Posted By: alan Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/10/03 08:08 PM
Hi John, Sushi,

It also depends on the sensitivity and size of the CRT picture tube. Some sets seem to be more sensitive to external magnetic fields than others.

I've found that about 12 to 18 inches is sufficient for large tower speakers whose tweeters may be near the level of your TV.

Regards,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/10/03 08:15 PM
Along these lines, has anyone had problems with VCRs and unshielded speakers? I really want to move my VCR out of the teeny tiny cabinet it's in (it's getting in the way of airflow for my TiVo) but the only place I have to put it is next to my passive "subwoofers".
Posted By: pmbuko Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/10/03 08:57 PM
I'd think there could be some issues with that. Just being close to the source of a magnetic field can be enough to scramble the contents of a magnetic tape, but moving through a magnetic field (i.e. tape is playing/recording in the VCR) is bound to be far worse.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/10/03 09:08 PM
That was sort of my feeling (just hoping). I hate overheating the TiVo on those hot days that should be behind us now...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/10/03 09:21 PM
I wonder why they don't just magnetically shield TV tubes from external interference... ???
Posted By: johnbasham Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/10/03 11:12 PM
The deal is that I have some old Optimus(pro-x77) speakers I use in my HT setup. I moved things around and tried setting the center right on the TV, and things went wacky...but approx. 3" from the TV everythings grand. Was really worried if I was damaging the pic tube somehow by leaving it there. Thanks guys.
Posted By: sushi Re: magnetic shieldind and tv's - 11/11/03 12:06 AM
I cannot guarantee anything. But my take is that, as compared to something like CRTs, magnetic tapes require MUCH stronger magnetic fields to be affected. My guess is, the speaker cabinet already provides sufficient distance from the driver magnets.
© Axiom Message Boards