Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Help me Decide!!! - 01/15/04 04:48 PM
I'm torn between the Yamaha 2400 and the Denon 3803.

the audiophiles seem to lean towards Denon, while some people are complaining about the documentation, and that it is more difficult to setup.

Help!!! I don't want to suffer the post-purchase "what-if" syndrom!!!

Is this just a matter or personal taste and what "look and interface" you like?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/15/04 05:08 PM
The auto calibration feature of the Yamaha has people drooling around here lately. I'm sure most everyone here is going to tell you to grab the Yammy. (I've never heard it, but like I said, everyone who has one RAVES about it.)
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/15/04 05:36 PM
I'm with spiff on this one.
That auto calibration looks like too good of a toy to pass up. I also tend to agree that the Denon manual is rather confusing or at least, not well laid out.
Either receiver should be an excellent choice though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/15/04 07:14 PM
As with all automated processes, however, you should be prepared to double-check the settings the Yamaha makes for you. There have been numerous complaints of the Yamaha incorrectly identifying certain channels as out-of-phase.

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/15/04 09:19 PM
Ahhh...Peter, I liked the other picture of your pooch much better!
Posted By: mwc Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/15/04 09:34 PM
Not only does it identify my left main channel as out-of-phase, it incorrectly sees my surrounds (KEF RDM two) as "large".
KEF specs the RDM two as such:
Frequency response at 15" horizontally off-axis +/- 2db = 80-Hz - 18kHz
LF corner - 6db = 65hz
I'm not totally clear on what the "LF corner" is(I'm sure the omniscient JohnK does) but the 65Hz may be why it sees it as "large".

However, "distance" & "level" checks have been right on the money. And of course there is no way of double checking the YPAO and therefore no way to know if it is doing what it is supposed to do. I must say though that my HT has never sounded better since I got the Yamaha and in spite of it's short commings, I'm very happy with it. I do, however, plan to check out the new Denon 3805 once it hits the stores in March(I gotta' find out if Denon has done a better job with their auto EQ).
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 12:44 AM
Mike,
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but the LF corner wouldn't be info on drop-off of volume @ lower frequencies (usually listed as 80hz-18khz +/-2db, -6db @ 65hz)??? Just to give you an idea of the roll-off for lower frequencies?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 01:37 AM
Fine.
Posted By: mwc Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 02:08 AM
Sid, I think that's right.
Posted By: mwc Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 02:14 AM
NO! go back to the other one. He looks afraid in this one.
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 03:07 AM
Thanks all for replies.

I went with the Yamaha. In the end, I had a hard time finding a site with a Denon 3803 in stock. And, since I'm not emotionally equipped enough to sit in my house with a set of brand new axioms (which just shipped today) and no receiver -- I panicked -- had to buy something! Etronics had a Yamaha, so I jumped on it like a german shepard on a poodle.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 03:32 AM
It's a she, btw.
Posted By: mwc Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 03:37 AM
Ok.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 04:51 PM
Looks like a he to me.

At first glance she may look afraid, but I think the actual look she's giving is one of "What the hell are you doing now?"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 07:03 PM
when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail, don't it?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Help me Decide!!! - 01/16/04 07:40 PM
Well I've never heard it put that way before!
© Axiom Message Boards