Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dale Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 02:01 AM
Ok guys . I unloaded my Bose cubes and replaced them with M22Ti's , front speakers and a VP150 center . I am ready to add to my system now . Should I buy the sub first( SVS 20-39 / HSV-VTF2 ) , or the surrounds( QS8's)next ? I can not do both this month .
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 02:33 AM
If you don't have ANY sub at all, I'd say get the sub. Don't disregard the Axiom subs, or the SVS box subs. Many people around here love them.

You'll enjoy the sub with both music and HT. The surrounds are great, but I think the absence of a good sub is a bigger deficit.

Do you have ANY speakers for the surrounds right now? If you've got anything at all back there, then the sub is a no-brainer.
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 02:39 AM
If you are a more of a 'music' guy and u seem to wonder where the hell the LFEs are, hey u got to go for the Sub first,M22s need them......or the other side if u watch movies more, u sure will b missing the QS8s sound envelope....M22s are great on movies without a sub, and when clubed with QS8s, the sound depth is neat. I play my sub low volume[turn them off in the nights] as I live in an apt and don't seem to miss the sub much in the nights....

bottom line its ur taste and the way u want to be entertained,
music > movies - go for the sub first
music < movies
a. u love the thunder , rattling [explosions,foot steps of a beast] - sub first
b. u love the ambience effects and sound envelope [ rainfall, traffic, ammunition,stadium] - QS8 first

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Dale Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 02:48 AM
No surround speakers yet . I would prefure a box sub . The round SVS is so tall I think my wife would have a cow when she sees it . The SVS box subs are bit beyond my budget . I will probably get the HSU sub . I should be able to add the surround speakers in June . I could have bought all my system at one time but the wife wanted the speakers in egg shell white so they would match the walls . Ouch , that cost me an arm and a leg for the custom color . Never considered white a color .I wanted black or cherry and would have saved a little money and got them as B stock. Oh well , I am building my system and the wife is happy .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 02:54 AM
Do the sub first. It's far more important, especially with bookshelf speakers. I've done just fine with 2.1 sound for awhile now (and will continue to do so, until budget allows).
Posted By: joema Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 04:51 AM
Do the sub first. 2.1 is fine and will sound great with the M22s. I ran M22s and an STF-2 for a while in a 2.1 config, and it was very impressive.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 06:50 AM
Just so you get the idea...

Get the sub first. I highly recommend a Hsu.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 06:53 AM
I swear, Spiff, I'm gonna start recommending SVS just to provide some kind of counterpoint...

Not that I'm not considering a Hsu VTF-2 at some point (way, way) down the line.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 07:01 AM
Only you regulars get sick of hearing it. The newbs need to know.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 07:16 AM
The newbies also need to know that SVS makes very good subs. :-P
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 07:27 AM
I've never heard one, but yes, they do have an excellent reputation.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 07:56 AM
I've never heard a Hsu, but yes, they have an excellent reputation. :-D
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 01:33 PM
Hi Dale,

I've got to add the a recommendation for the sub first as well; especially if you have something you can use for surrounds in the interim. As you might have picked up, both SVS and HSU make excellent subs.

It might be worthwhile to call either/both and discuss the room size and set up where you will place the sub. Both give excellent advice for sub choices. I mention this because you may find, depending on the sub you choose, that you have enough $$ to also pick up the surrounds. I'm not sure what you are planning to spend, but this could be a nice surprise.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 03:41 PM
And if both of you don't quit henpecking, i'm going to recommend Axioms each and everytime to continue the confusion.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 05:01 PM
Oh yeah? Well, I'm going to recommend Kenwood!

Just kidding. Blech.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 05:10 PM
Oooh that's a nice one.
Look at the gorgeous finish on it.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 05:37 PM
The beautiful finish aside, the REAL selling point to the Kenwood is that it delivers that "low frequency KA-BOOM!"
Hard to pass THAT up!
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 08:19 PM
...and for a bit more variety you could try this offering from Outlaw
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 09:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that Outlaw sub was designed by Dr. Hsu.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/19/04 10:44 PM
sob sob .......pleeeease stop it

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/20/04 12:15 AM
Sorry...but it's true.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/20/04 04:51 PM
Hey, that is a helpful post (the reference to the Outlaw).

In shopping for a sub, that provides another option for people like me who are looking for a down-firing box. I'm sure I'd be happy with the VTF-2 or the SVS (the model number of which simply says "alphabet soup" to me - PB1-ISD?).

Has anybody actually heard the Outlaw?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/20/04 05:13 PM
Tom,
If you really need a downfiring sub (although i'm not sure why), you can always pick up the EP350 and turn it 90 degrees, driver facing downward and place pucks under the corners for a 1" elevation.
Sounds great (i'll post pics later for fun).
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/20/04 05:45 PM
In reply to:

Tom,
If you really need a downfiring sub (although i'm not sure why), you can always pick up the EP350 and turn it 90 degrees, driver facing downward and place pucks under the corners for a 1" elevation.

Pucks? What the heck are pucks? I thought that they were metric thingies... Somethin' like 25.4mm?????????

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/20/04 05:56 PM
Michael,
Pucks are these little vulcanized rubber items, 1" thick, 3" diameter.
As you can clearly see from Saturn's setup, they are very effective little items for sound equipment elevation followed by an afternoon game of shinny.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/20/04 08:28 PM
Chess, you crack me up.

Wouldn't I have to pay import duties on the pucks in the US?

It's a WAF issue - being able to set something on top of the sub makes it "useful" for something else, and eliminating a couple extra square feet of grill cloth to collect pet hair and child interest is appealing to me.

If you turned a VP350 90 degrees, you'd have the cords and controls on the top, no?

Pucks.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/21/04 06:19 AM
In reply to:

Wouldn't I have to pay import duties on the pucks in the US?

No. NAFTA rules would not allow it, unless of course the U.S. gov't decides to ignore those policy agreements as well.
In reply to:

If you turned a VP350 90 degrees, you'd have the cords and controls on the top, no?

Yes and it is darn handy to make changes when necessary. No more climbing behind the unit!!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/21/04 10:15 PM
Here you are Tom.
Picks of the EP350 downfiring model (pucks not included).
Note how there is still plenty of room to place some lovely flower arrangements around the edges.

Posted By: Michael_A Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/21/04 10:38 PM
In reply to:

As you can clearly see from Saturn's setup, they are very effective little items for sound equipment elevation followed by an afternoon game of shinny.

And to think my Mother was from Massachusetts... I should have known that.

They look too much like good ammunition for the woman when she gets angry.

I saw a guy get hit in the mouth with one once off of a slapper. Not pretty.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/21/04 11:32 PM
Hey Chess!

In the first photo, what's that "thingy" which is visible in the port of your M60? Is that a tulip, or what?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/22/04 12:18 AM
Chess, you STILL crack me up.

I don't have pucks. I've got baseballs. Would that work?

The wife likes the looks of the pucks, but observes that the little knobs, dials, and plug-ins are probably even MORE "interesting" to the younger set than the grill cloth, driver and port-holes. "Dad, can I plug my gameboy into this thing?..."

Nice setup, tho. Thank you kindly for the lovely illustration.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/22/04 01:20 AM
In reply to:

what's that "thingy" which is visible in the port of your M60?

I think you are seeing one of two things, either some internal speaker baffling deep inside or a refraction from my dinky little webcam shot off of some interior wiring or mouse eyeballs.
You choose.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ok , what should I buy next ? - 02/22/04 01:23 AM
In reply to:

The wife likes the looks of the pucks, but observes that the little knobs, dials, and plug-ins are probably even MORE "interesting" to the younger set than the grill cloth, driver and port-holes. "Dad, can I plug my gameboy into this thing?..."

Nice setup, tho. Thank you kindly for the lovely illustration.

Well i tried Tom.
Shall i tell you how much the bass changed when i flipped it?
Because if so, then i will sell you an Eskimo in sheep's clothing immediately afterwards.
© Axiom Message Boards