Axiom Home Page
Posted By: knuckles stock wire? - 02/24/04 05:45 AM
Do Axiom speakers come with speaker wire? If so how is it terminated, how long is it and how thick is it (gauge). If the speakers don't come stock with speaker wire, what wire would you reccomend? I've looked at the Axiom speaker wire and it is a bit too much for my needs and too expensive. I'll probably be running the wire 6-8 feet so 12 gauge wire is hardly necessary at the moment.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: stock wire? - 02/24/04 06:12 AM
the speakers do not come with wire.

If their terminated cables are too much (no. theyre not cheap) their unterminated bulk cable is very affordable. for something like 23 bucks you can have 25 feet of it. 12 gauge. and free shipping as usual.
Posted By: knuckles Re: stock wire? - 02/24/04 06:40 AM
That's the thing, I don't have the tools (stripper, crimp tool)to terminate my own wire and those tools also cost a lot. So I'm looking for some relatively cheap, terminated speaker wire. I wish I could get a crimp tool and stripper, but the ones that I have seen are around $50-60 (US) each.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: stock wire? - 02/24/04 06:48 AM
Don't stress about the terminations. Just get a basic wire cutter, and you can strip the ends of the wire yourself, and tighten the hell out of the binding posts. Remember, terminators just add another connection that could become loose, corroded, or unreliable.
Posted By: JohnK Re: stock wire? - 02/24/04 07:59 AM
Knuck, for your needs simply get 15-20' of standard 16ga lampcord, strip 1/2" bare with whatever you have that's sharp, put it through the opening in the binding post and tighten it. Total cost not more than $3.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: stock wire? - 02/24/04 03:42 PM
you were probbly looking at some super deluxe klein tools or something, go to walmart they probbly have wire strippers for 5 bucks. you dont REALLY need a crimper, a small hammer, pliers etc will work. and you dont even need to put terminations on.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: stock wire? - 02/24/04 08:29 PM
Bare wire. No "terminators" necessary.

And don't shop at Wal-Mart. They treat their employees like slaves.
Posted By: James_T Re: stock wire? - 02/26/04 01:13 AM
I use 12 gauge wire (cheap enough and I like the way the fatter than 18AWG looks--pure aesthetic preference).
I have banana plugs on the receiver as I find it much more convenient when moving stuff around to unplug the wire than it is to spin knobs and bang/scrape my knuckles. It has no effect on the sound at all, good or bad (at least not that I have noticed).

© Axiom Message Boards