Axiom Home Page
Posted By: seafan what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/02/04 10:05 PM
hi,

from the picture on this web site, I can't tell what kind of grille is on M60ti tower speakers. is it plastic honeycomb-like, like what's on Polk RTi10, Paradigm Monitor-7 or Klipsch SF-2? or just a plastic frame with cloth cover?
I have a 2-year-old, the speakers need some protection

thanks,

Jason
Posted By: seafan Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/02/04 10:09 PM
it would be great if someone could post a picture of the inside of the grille. thanks!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/02/04 10:23 PM
seafan,

It's a plastic frame with cloth stretched across it. No honeycombing.
Posted By: seafan that's too bad - 03/02/04 10:49 PM
hmm... they are cutting corners there. my little one is at the stage that she loves to bang her toys (or anything she gets a hold of) on everything. if it's just a thin layer of cloth over the drivers, she could poke right through it... not good!
Posted By: getoffb Re: that's too bad - 03/02/04 11:23 PM
But wouldn't that mess with the sound quality having plastic criss crossing back and forth over the front of the speakers?

I would hardly call it "cutting corners."
Posted By: spiffnme Re: that's too bad - 03/02/04 11:58 PM
The grills are pretty flimsy. Hardly at the top of my list of priorities when buying speakers (especially since I keep the grills off anyway).

If they ever change the grills, I'd highly recommend that they take a look at the grills on the Energy C-3's. That's a sweet grill. Gotta love those little magnets.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 12:33 AM
I definitely wouldn't rule out Axioms due to their grille design. You'd be missing out on a world of great sound. What you could do to protect your speakers when you're not listening to them is cut some sturdy cardboard to fit underneath the grilles.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 02:58 AM
In reply to:

But wouldn't that mess with the sound quality having plastic criss crossing back and forth over the front of the speakers?

A very good point indeed and yes, it would mess with the sound quality. You cannot put a grid of plastic in front of a speaker driver without influencing the sound waves (essentially bumping gas molecules which comprise the air we breathe). Of course the speaker designer could certainly design the sound with the grille in place but i believe Axiom has not taken that approach.

In reply to:

The grills are pretty flimsy. Hardly at the top of my list of priorities when buying speakers (especially since I keep the grills off anyway).
If they ever change the grills, I'd highly recommend that they take a look at the grills on the Energy C-3's

They may be pretty in design but they make the speaker sound like crap.
See my post on the speaker slew auditions of the C7/C9.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 03:01 AM
yeah, cutting corners it is not. its trying to make an acoustically transparent grill as possible. The grills arent meant to be child sheilds.

This is the back of one of the grills on my M80. I never have them on anyway. For what they are, theyre good enough.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 03:02 AM
Nice quick pic Haoleb.
I have to say, those carpets look pretty damn clean.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 03:04 AM
well, i keep my room pretty clean, especially since i got into the hobby. I dont want no dust on my stuff! lol. i even have two birds, if i dont clean weekly it would be a disaster
Posted By: spiffnme Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 03:08 AM
In reply to:

They may be pretty in design but they make the speaker sound like crap.
See my post on the speaker slew auditions of the C7/C9.

I was only refering to the magnetic clip on, not the grid. The only thing I'd change about Axioms grills is make the frame out of a more rigid material, and have them attach with magnets, rather than plugs.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 03:36 AM
In reply to:

The only thing I'd change about Axioms grills is make the frame out of a more rigid material, and have them attach with magnets, rather than plugs.

The magnets was kind of a neat thing but if the magnets are too strong, you chance pulling the speaker over when taking the grille off (or trying to take the grille off). I almost did that with the C9 in the store. I had to use my knee to push against the speaker as a brace otherwise i would have yanked the C9 off its platform.

Posted By: JohnK Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 03:54 AM
Yes Craig, as chess points out, those little magnets are quite powerful and I understand that many audiophiles are able to discern an imbalance in the sound as the grill magnets interact with the speaker magnets. The deleterious effect is said to be powerful enough to nullify the benefits of high-end cables and better DACs.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: that's too bad - 03/03/04 03:55 AM
My only experience was with a pair of C-3's and the magnet was just strong enough to hold the grill. It was nice.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/07/04 05:33 AM
Message me your email and I can send you a pic of what M60's and EP175 grills look like in my house. I've had my Axiom's since July 2002. I have three boys (13,4 and 16 months) and two cats terrorizing the family room. It'll be great reference material for you.
Posted By: Ajax Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/07/04 02:48 PM
Aw Jim! Cmon! Post the photos here so we can all see 'em.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/07/04 03:42 PM
I can host them for you if u keep them small (under 200k each) and email them to skater11091(at)hotmail.com.

The reason I post my email like that is so the automated bots that scan forums and webpages don't realize it's an email, and thus I won't get spam.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/10/04 05:22 PM
jbzngowest's pictures:

Those are some painful pictures man!
Posted By: Ajax Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/10/04 05:30 PM
OUCH! But I'd guess it's better to sacrifice the grills than what's behind them.
Posted By: smoovranger Re: what kind of grille are on M60ti? - 03/10/04 06:10 PM
I would bet that you could get those replaced without much of a problem.
© Axiom Message Boards