Axiom Home Page
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the M60ti. As I see there are two ports in the back, is there a minimum distance required/recommended from the wall for these floor-standers?

how does it sound if these speakers are placed closer to the wall than recommended? the room/furniture layout may not allow me to place them 2 feet from the wall as some do.

thanks,

Jason
My left channel is only about 1" from a side wall, and it sounds fine.

(it's about 14+" from the rear wall)

Posted By: seafan problem is with rear wall distance - 03/15/04 06:49 PM
thanks for your reply.

to clarify my question, the potential problem for me is the distance to the rear wall. the speakers will locate away from any side walls.

thanks.
Jason, considering the rear ports alone, a 3-4" distance from the wall behind would be adequate. The distance from the back and side walls should be significantly different(e.g. 1' and 3').
Posted By: alan Re: problem is with rear wall distance - 03/16/04 03:23 PM
Hi Seafan,

As JohnK points out, it's not really the ports that matter but the adjacent room surfaces and the potential they have to cause emphasis of bass and upper bass. The closer you move the speaker to walls and corners, the greater the likelihood of some bass coloration.

Try listening to recordings of male vocals to see if you can hear any full "chesty" quality that seems unnatural. If you hear it, move the speaker away from the nearby walls following the formula JohnK mentions, until the lower and upper bass sounds smooth without traces of boominess or chestiness.

Regards,
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: problem is with rear wall distance - 03/17/04 12:26 PM
Alan,

You have me nervous. I am considering the M60, QS8, VP150 arrangement that many go with. My room is maybe 10 feet wide and about 35' or so long, but listening area will be more like 16' long. If I take away 7' for the screen I'll be building, then I'll have about 10 inches from the side walls for the M60s.

Am I in trouble?
© Axiom Message Boards