Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thekid Help! - 04/02/04 06:28 PM
Looking for some advice. I have M2's. I auditioned them against M3's and I love them. Now I am thinking, do I upgrade to M22's. My room is about 12'x18'. I dont listen to insanely high volumes. But a few times I was trying to "crank them up", and I thought I was missing something. The shipping back will run me about $70. So do you think the upgrade is worth it? Am I missing something?
Thanks for any advice
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help! - 04/02/04 06:45 PM
First, a question: Do you have a subwoofer? The M2 and M22 are not full-range speakers, and that "missing something" is most likely a nice low-end.

I'd definitely consider getting M22s instead of the M2s. They sound pretty much the same, but can push more air and play louder to fill your 12x18 room.
Posted By: thekid Re: Help! - 04/02/04 06:47 PM
yes I do have a sub. The M2 really is great but I feel like I am missing something. So you think its worth the extra $200 after the return shipping
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help! - 04/02/04 06:50 PM
How long have you had the M2s? Before returning them -- if you have the time -- I'd try adjusting their placement in your room. When you've got them in the best possible position, allow yourself a week or so to listen to a lot of music just to get used to the sound.

If after all that you're still not satisfied, by all means upgrade to the M22s. I have a pair and they are absolutely awesome, but my room is only 12'x13'x8' -- and I have a nice SVS PB1-ISD to fill in the low end.
Posted By: thekid Re: Help! - 04/02/04 06:54 PM
My time is up so I need to make the decision now.
I love the M2's, there has just been a few times where I thought they could be louder or more dynamic. Is that basically what Ill get with the M22's?
Will I hear more nuance's of the music/movies or is is just basically more forward and dynamic
Posted By: gem41573 Re: Help! - 04/02/04 06:54 PM
I agree with Peter. In a room that size, I think the M22's are more appropriate than the M2's. Plus, if you don't step up to the M22's, you'll probably continue to wonder if you're missing something. But I think you'd definitely benefit from the M22's over the M2's.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help! - 04/02/04 06:55 PM
In reply to:

love the M2's, there has just been a few times where I thought they could be louder or more dynamic. Is that basically what Ill get with the M22's?

That's exactly what you'll get. Go for it!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Help! - 04/02/04 06:55 PM
Pete nailed this one. You have the room for M22s and if you have a sub, the extra cost will absolutely be forgotten once you start listening to them.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Help! - 04/02/04 07:40 PM
M22's all the way. They're great with a sub.

if you feel they are a bit too forward, just turn the treble down 1dB
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:17 PM
It's a strategy issue.

I'd be tempted to keep the M2's and enjoy them now, then step up and buy the M60's in the future. Save the return shipping and use the M2 pair as surrounds or in a second system somewhere down the line.
Posted By: thekid Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:21 PM
I know thats what I was thinking
arrrgghhhh upgraditis is killing me!!!
Posted By: ringmir Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:26 PM
If you've got the money, do it! (Have you seen "Starsky & Hutch" yet? "Do it.")
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:27 PM
I like Tom's plan kid. You should know, however, that this is just the foreplay, the warm-up, the appetizer for upgradeitis. We still need to explore your receiver, center speaker, sub and TV. Let's also NOT forget about your interconnects and speaker wires!!!! Oh yes - the permutations are limitless. AH ha ha ha ha ha. The SHADOW knows.
Posted By: thekid Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:31 PM
HAHAHA and so it begins.
Decisions, decisions
Posted By: ringmir Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:33 PM
Ray I don't know that it's really "evil" in our hearts.....unless of course you were making that reference to the interconnects? (run for cover)

(Not that I was old enough to listen to it on the radio...but I had a whole bunch of tapes of the radio shows when I was growing up.)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:34 PM
Ray, I am NOT exploring thekid's interconnects.

Your posting rate is down to about 3/hour. Are you feeling okay?
Posted By: thekid Re: Help! - 04/02/04 08:36 PM
Yes thank you my interconnects do not need any type of exploring.

Posted By: metalaaron Re: Help! - 04/03/04 12:10 AM
you mentioned that you don't listen to them at high levels, but when you do...you are 'missing something.' what receiver/amp is driving the speakers?
Posted By: thekid Re: Help! - 04/03/04 03:57 AM
Just using a Yamaha 85W per channel
I dont use them to loud, but occasionally want to really turn them up.

© Axiom Message Boards