Axiom Home Page
Posted By: speakernewbie Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/16/04 10:03 AM
I am currently deliberating on buying the Axiom Grand Master, however a friend of mine just got the Sony SSX speakers and am now having second thoughts. Has anyone tried doing a side by side comparison between the Sony SSX series of speakers with Axioms?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/16/04 02:04 PM
Welcome aboard. Sorry to follow with a flip post, but what's up with a company that stresses "genuine wood enclosure" and then makes the speaker in dark grey?

It looks, on paper, to be a nice design. I wonder if it's an OEM'd B&W or something of the sort. It also appears to be more of a competitor for the M60s (Epic 60) than the M22s (Epic Grand Master), since it is a floorstanding speaker and more than twice as expensive as the M22s.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/16/04 05:19 PM
Looking at the 90ED versus the M60 (which it's most like)... first off, the Sony shows Freq Resp. to be 35-70000Hz with no qualifications (and if it is supposed to be 35Hz-70KHz +/- 0dB, I'll eat my hat!)... so strike one - you try to mislead me on the specs, I start to wonder what else you're "padding".

Genuine wood enclosure - MDF is dense, dense is good, genuine wood is usually a look over performance thing.

Woofers are paper(!!!), mids are kevlar (maybe kevlar impregnated paper?), tweeter's carbon dome - which I don't have a lot of experience with.

Impedance is 4 ohms... somewhat tough to drive (like the M80s) - it's almost a short as far as the amp is concerned.

And then the kicker... read the fine print - $899US for ONE speaker, not the pair, they're over twice the price of M60s.

Bren R.
Posted By: speakernewbie Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/17/04 01:58 AM
Prices posted on the internet are way outrageous. I could get them for around $900/pair, thus the dilemma. How do the M60s perform with SACDs? Am not familiar with speakers or anything? or how to detect a good one from a bad one. People are saying that I have to listen to the speakers, but the disadvantage is that Axiom speakers are basically impossible to audition in Japan. Though, I could easily listen to the Sony...the discomfort I have is the absence of favorable reviews other than those coming from Sony enthusiasts.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/17/04 01:59 AM
That would make me nervous as well. The Axioms are excellent, but this is coming from a bunch of Axiom backers. It's a tough decision.
Posted By: squirrelyz Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/17/04 02:11 AM
just a thought, but...

my logic dictates:
Sony - electronics - mostly video related (pro and consumer)
Axiom - speakers

As a video editor, we rely on Sony for cameras and decks, Fujinon for lenses (Zeiss for stills), Sennheiser for mics, Mackie for mixers, etc, etc.

Stick with with who does what best.

My 2.

^billy
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/17/04 03:04 AM
go here

http://www.audioreview.com/Main%20Speaker/Axiom%20Speaker%20Company/PRD_125691_1594crx.aspx

and read the reviews - it averages 4.9 out of 5

the m80's get 4.96 out of 5

in fact, no Axiom speaker has anywhere that i have ever seen received a less than great review.

If you buy sony speakers I will feel sorry for you. The times I have heard sony speakers I was not impressed in the least bit.

Posted By: BrenR Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 04/17/04 06:17 AM
Speakernewbie (what is your name? Tough to call someone by their nickname...)

The only encouragement I can give you is that Axiom puts together a great speaker, if you get the M60s, you will get a great quality loudspeaker, and the few dozen of us that post here regularly are very happy with our purchase, and there are some very critical ears among us. But we don't have your ears - there's a possibility you may not like them for whatever reason.

I don't envy your position, the choice for me was clear - try the M3s (with free shipping for me in North America) and send them back if I didn't like them, but I'm more than happy with my purchase and they even made a HT convert out of my fiancee.

"I have no constructive advice for you at this juncture" - Taurus in the PC game Interstate '76

Bren R.
Posted By: emmapk1 Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/05/20 07:32 PM
Axiom speakers are also great but I'm also confused about Sony HT G700 as one of my friends has bought it and he is very happy with Sony speakers. It has great features like powerful signal processing, easy connectivity, and a high-quality base. You can visit the site to check the Sony HT G700 review. I'm thinking to get it now.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/05/20 08:06 PM
No thanks. I'll keep my active LFR1100 with five sealed subwoofers and 15,000 Watts of peak power output. LOL!
Posted By: Kodiak Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/06/20 04:08 AM
I’m wondering how you got from Sony to Axiom? There are many many many more speakers that would compete better with the Axioms solely on reputation alone.

Personally I would like to encourage you to audition/ hear more speakers even if they aren’t Axiom. I agree with going with who does what well. You don’t buy a chainsaw from Betty Crocker, you buy from Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo etc.

Analogies aside, there are so many more speakers out there at that price point besides the Sony’s you mention or the Axioms even. Test em all out and see what you like.

But bottom line, the Axiom quality is great. Highly recommended. I bet a pair of m5Hp would blow the snot out of the Sony’s.

Ps. I agree those specs look funky on the Sony’s.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/06/20 11:25 AM
Its an ad bot. Has to be.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/06/20 05:35 PM
TrevorM, you think it’s ad bot? Wow. It talks pretty realistically. Guess let’s see what response it or he / she comes back with.

Well , the ad bot should get some Axioms!
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/06/20 06:27 PM
Has anyone noticed that this conversation started in April 2004 and mysteriously comes back to life over 16 years later? Something fishy going on.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/06/20 07:05 PM
Ha!!! I didn’t even notice that. That kinda gives it away doesn’t it. !!!! Hilarious.
Posted By: CV Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/06/20 09:08 PM
But is the Sony keto?
Posted By: Kodiak Re: Sony SS-X90ED vs. Axiom - 12/08/20 10:30 PM
No , but it’s gluten free.
© Axiom Message Boards