Axiom Home Page
Hi all, I've heard nothing but great things about the axiom speakers, although I have'nt had the chance to personally audition them. I must admit, the fact that they're 4 ohm speakers really worried me, and in truth, probably drove me to purchase a slightly higher end receiver than I had originally intended...but I found a decent price online for the Denon AVR-4802R and went for it...along with an ext. warranty just in case. Anyway, the only answer remaining is...should I get the M60's or the M80's. From all my reading online...here and in other AV forums...I've come to the conclusion that these are some of the best performing speakers at this price point... but is my room too small for the M80's? My room is 12'Wide x 35' long (opens to a kitchen--which is why it's longer) x 8' high. There will be a sectional couch separating the living room from the kitchen where the bulk of the listening will be done...so this puts me approx 7 to 10 ft from the front speakers... Also, since I'm getting a big screen...I'm forced to put the TV in a corner...(which I hate having to do...but have no alternative)...so the placement of the floor standing speakers is going to be tricky...I'll probably have one on the left next to the TV...and the one on the right...will have to be about 5 ft or so away from the tv...on the otherside of the fireplace. Please advise...are the M80's the right choice...will I suffer because my room is too small, I'm sitting too close...or my slightly asymmetrical speaker arrangement. Thanks all
with the room size you have id definetly say go for the M80. 12x35 is pretty big.

Im not sure though, are you planning on purchasing a full axiom setup, with center & surround speakers also? If not, and you want to use soely two speakers for HT having the front speakers too far apart will sacrifice your center image, this shouldnt be a problem with a center channel though.
Hi, and thanks for responding. I am planning on purchasing what is basically the Epic 80 setup (fronts, surrounds and center)...but without the sub...I'm thinking of going to another company for that...(don't throw anything)....
Heck, that's what most people around here do. I'm sure you'll get several recommendations.

I'm not as sure about the M80s as Haoleb is; you're going to be awful close to those speakers. Also, the M80s need a lot of breathing room (and they're pretty deep to begin with), so the front fact of the speaker is probably going to be about 3 feet into the room.

On the other hand, I've never even seen the M80s, or the M60s for that matter. Grain of salt time.
I'm not sure what you mean by breathing room?? Are you referring to the distance the speaker should be from a wall??... I'm still heavily in the learning process here.
Thanks
Yup. That said, I don't think I'm going to be able to give my (potential) M50s much breathing room, either.

You'll learn a lot around here. I certainly have.
From what you said you would probbly sit 7-10 feet back from the speakers, 7 feet is getting a little TOO close but 9-10 feet would be ok, i sit about 9.5 feet back from mine and its fine. The further back you go, they will sound better but we all have space constraints. Ive also got mine 2 feet from the back wall which is say is almost minimum in my room, of course its maximum too or else id be blocking a doorway!
eightman,
Considering the very shot distance you will be sitting from the speakers, i suggest the M60s or even possibly the M22s and a sub, Unless you plan on filling the entire 35 foot long room with solid sound.
At present, our couch is 8 feet from the M60s with a limited width placement of 6 feet. This does not allow for enough room to properly position the speakers to get a nice wide soundstage. Essentially only 2 ppl on the couch are centred in the sweet spot for sound, otherwise the stereo image falls apart to either the left or the right.
A smaller speaker will give you more placement options.
Ugh....If I end up with the M60's will I be kicking myself??? I've already HEAVILY influenced my amp selection by moving up a notch on the Denon to the 4803R...rather than the 3805 or comparable which I was originally looking at. I order the 4802 today...

Hmmm....ok...halfway through this post I went downstairs and measured the living room...the carpet ends at 18ft...and then you enter the kitchen. I think I'll be alright with the 80's because the couch will extend about 3 or so feet past that...so...the bulk of the listeners will be at 14 to 15 ft away...although a few will be closer...it's a sectional. I'm sorta handicapped because I can't set things up in a traditional rectangular format...I have to stick the TV in a corner....

M80's it will be unless someone really convinces me otherwise.
Hi:

Hey I have the M80's in a room that's 22' long by 20' wide and I think they're great. I sit approx 15 feet back. I power them with a HK avr-7200. I'm personally glad I got the 80's as I know I would have always wondered. Don't worry about what other people think, people on this forum always push people toward the m60's if you want the m80's go for it. Either way you won't be disappointed, and don't overlook the factory outlet. I got mine from there and saved 10% and I'm still looking for the supposed defect. Good luck!!!
eightman,
If it is one thing i've come to learn on these forums, regardless of what ppl need, it is what they want that drives their purchase decisions.
If you are that set on the M80s, then go for it. Personally i think you could save the cash for something else, but if money is not a concern, then why not?
Just keep in mind that in the world of audio (or many other things for that matter), more expensive does not equate to better.

Simple example, the frequency response graphs of the smaller, cheaper M22s are actually more linear than the response graphs of the big, more expensive M80s. If the linear response of a speaker defines its quality (at least as being more accurate) then the M22 is actually the 'better' speaker.

Any of the Axiom selections will be excellent choices though. You already have a good receiver to drive them.
Well...I wish money was no object, but it is...nonetheless, I'm M80 bound, but thanks all for your input...I've learned much here and on other forums. In fact, it was other forums which led me to Axiom. Regarding the outlet store...that would be a great idea, except I'd have a huge wait for everything...their showing a 13 week wait on Boston Cherry surrounds....
Good point Chess.

I'd say, though, who's to say which graph shows a better linear response?
I thought I read another thread in the forum that stated that the crossover on the M80's has been tweaked by Axiom since the Soundstage frequency response graph was produced in 2001. Is this correct?
The 80's have been ordered...thanks all....this has been a long journey....and I'm super excited about getting them in. I also have the Denon 4802R coming my way...was this a good choice...?? I don't want too bright of a sound...I think my preference leans more towards a warmer tone/sound. Unfortunately, auditioning anything has been near impossible....
Also...as an aside. I'm planning on housing my audio gear in a corner about 7 or so ...feet away from my TV...which will be in the opposite corner...with the fireplace between the two. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the floor...and routing cables...underneath...via the basement. Anyone think this is a terrible idea??? The dvd player will be under the TV...hopefully using the DVI output...and sending the audio under the floor over to the amp. Thanks all....
eightmanvt- If the VT in your name stands for Vermont- I live in Burlington, VT and own the m-60's. After you receive the 80's, I will be glad to let you do a comparison.
However, I do not have HT, just a two-channel music system,
but it might help you. Let me know.
The m-60's are fantastic- you wont go wrong either way.

Chuck
Nope. Going under the floor was the preferred method of all 5 of the electricians I that asked. Unfortunately, they were all here drinking beer, and conveniently left all of their tools at home.

I did get some great hints, though. "If you have access, go under the floor every time." was the concensus opinion.
Excellent Michael, thanks for the follow up on that, and Chafter, thanks for the offer....but the VT is for Virginia Tech in this case....and I live in Maryland now, but I definitely appreciate the offer. Thanks all!!
Eightman,
I feel your pain.. I am struggling with the same issues. My wife just told me to just buy the damn things and stop talking about it so much. Problem is what to buy. What features led you to the 4803 over the 3805? and does the 4803 upconvert to component? Also where did you get the good deal at?
fyi... I learned the "annoying them until they become supportive" from the wife... And they think we cant be taught anything ; )
hehe...I'll keep that sound advice in mind for later...regarding wife management. Regarding features for the 4802R...the extra power and THX Ultra2 certification were two that jumped out at me....
I'll have to reserve judgement on the "good deal" until I receive the amp and confirm that everything is A ok...but they tell me it shipped today...so hopefully I can get you a confirmation on that in a couple of days. The website was www.bigdealtv.com
eight,

Here is a link from Denon Site . Once you open the site, look at the line titled "Denon A/V Receivers". At the end of that line, there is a yellow star. Click on it and you will get a multipage chart comparing all of the current Denon receivers. It's pretty interesting and should answer any questions you are likely to have about the 4802R. Except, of course, how you are going to pay for it!
Thanks for leading me in the right direction Ray and Eight..Well at least a direction, the circles were getting me dizzy ; )
© Axiom Message Boards