Axiom Home Page
Posted By: richeydog m60 ports - 07/07/04 01:58 AM
I'm considering upgrading towards the m60's and wondering how far from the wall should they be placed without sounding boomy, if thats the correct term? I've got 16" of space with my m22's, so theoretically if I put the m60's in the same spot I'd get roughly half that distance(9"), due to the deeper cabinet. Would that be ok? Please share your thoughts. Thanks, Mike.

Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: m60 ports - 07/07/04 02:05 AM
my m60s are about 6 inches from the wall and they seem fine. The m60s have a front port as well which helps reduce boominess.

hope that helps.

by the way, the upgrade from the m22s to the m60s is well worth it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: m60 ports - 07/07/04 02:14 AM
9" should be fine. Axiom's resident expert, Alan, has said that you can have the rear firing ports as close as 3 or 4 inches from the wall behind the speaker and still be OK. However, farther out is probably more desirable.
Posted By: BigWill Re: m60 ports - 07/07/04 03:53 AM
My M60s sound best about four feet from the wall, about a foot clear of the front of our niche. Placing them closer to the wall seems to affect the soundstage negatively, but not a big deal.
Posted By: Todd Wow, 4 feet from the wall?? - 07/07/04 10:18 PM
You must have a huge room to listen in. Mine are about a foot from the back wall. I have adjusted my speakers continuously. I think I now have what I want.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Wow, 4 feet from the wall?? - 07/07/04 10:31 PM
Mine are approximately 12-14 inches from the wall and they sound great. This distance works out so that the front of the speakers are flush with my TV screen (a very deep RPTV). Both my M60's are at least 3 feet from the side walls, this distance is improtant also. You don't want them too close to the corner. BTW, on well recorded material (the Alan Parsons "I, Robot" HDCD, for instance) my soundstage is considerably outside the speakers, sometimes approaching a 180 degree arc of sound in front of me.

Mark
Posted By: richeydog Re: m60 ports - 07/08/04 01:48 AM
Thanks guys for your help. A few minutes earlier I spoke with brent on the phone and placed an order for a pair of black m60ti's. Should be here no later than monday.
I was thinking of getting the m50's, due to their lower price, but the power of the Visa overwhelmed me! No what Brent really said that since I like the sound of my m22's then the m60's were a no brainer. Since I have a strong taste in classical music I'm expecting these to sound excellent for two channel listening.

Also as upgrades are concerned, they will pay for return shipping on my m22's. Good deal. I'm sure you already knew that, but a tidbit for those who don't.

P.S. How do you post that damn smiley face,wink,etc.. in the middle or end of your sentences? I can only get it to post at the beginning of the post. Thanks, Mike.
Posted By: Ajax Re: m60 ports - 07/08/04 02:37 AM
When typing your post, at the spot where you want it to appear, just type, without the spaces inside the brackets:

[ smile ] =
[ wink ] =
[ laugh ] =
[ mad ] =
[ blush ] =
[ crazy ] =
[ frown ] =
[ tongue ]=
[ cool ] =
[ shocked]=

You'll find more good stuff, including how to do this, here.
Posted By: BigWill Re: m60 ports - 07/08/04 03:38 AM
richeydog, the M60s are awesome for classical music. I am CERTAIN you will be stoked.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Ajax - 07/08/04 05:10 AM
You mean like this, and like this, .
Thanks Ajax.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Ajax - 07/08/04 05:21 AM
De Nada.
Posted By: richeydog Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 05:22 AM
If you say stoked then stoked I will be. I'm definitely not a historical buff regarding classical and other eras(baroque,etc.), but I'm just slowly beginning to broaden my collection starting with the naxos label. Naxos low prices combined with very good recordings are keeping me satisfied. That is until I get my hands on a high rez player with good bass management capabilities(denon2200).
Posted By: Daphoid Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 01:23 PM
Guys regular emoticons work too, without the space:

: ) =
: D =
: ( =

You guys must have huge rooms, my m60's are toed in a bit, but the closest corner is only like a inch from the wall, if I move them anymore they're farthed then the center channel, and also look like they're out really far.

- D
Posted By: BigWill Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 06:43 PM
You know, all this talk about distance from the wall reminds me of a point I wanted to make to someone awhile ago, but didn't, regarding the thinness of DLPs, plasmas, etc... vs the relative enormity of CRT RPTVs.

The M60s are pretty deep and benefit from spacing from the wall behind. Why bother spending big bucks for thinner technology when your speakers stick out 2+ feet?
Posted By: Ajax Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 07:41 PM
On reason is because I live alone. My 43 inch DLP weighs 67 pounds, which is 8 pounds less than the 24 inch CRT it replaced. I can move it by myself! Tarzan

Posted By: mwc Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 10:27 PM
In reply to:

My 43 inch DLP weighs 67 pounds, which is 8 pounds less than the 24 inch CRT it replaced. I can move it by myself!

Ain't it great! My 61" DLP weighs 108 pounds and can easily be moved by two people.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 10:39 PM
Oh yeah! Well, my, um, TV swivels this way and that!
Posted By: mwc Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 10:42 PM
Swivel is a nice feature.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: BigWill - 07/08/04 11:30 PM
Yeah? Well, well, um.... errr..... my TV..... um..... shows moving color picture! Yeah, that's it.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Someone other than BW - 07/09/04 01:59 AM
Sorry, that title was annoying me.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Let's all annoy BigWill - 07/09/04 08:14 PM
what are you talking about?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Maybe he'll get real pi$$ed!! - 07/09/04 08:18 PM
i dont know?

bigjohn
Posted By: BigWill Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/09/04 10:17 PM
Whaddya get when you cross a Texan and a noCal native?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/09/04 10:25 PM
I'm not actually a noCal native. I was born in Westwood.
Posted By: James_T Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/09/04 10:29 PM
I'm from the mid-west (live in SF), but would like to hear the punchline!

jr
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/09/04 10:30 PM
punchline's in the title. Not so good now that you've seen it, eh?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/09/04 10:31 PM
A fascist flower child?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/09/04 10:39 PM
I've been trying to come up with an alternative punchline, but the only thing I can think of is:

"A rainbow-neck"
Posted By: James_T Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/09/04 10:53 PM
Oops. Guess I should have paid a bit more attention!

I like rainbow neck. original, but a bit cumbersome. How about a pink-neck?

jr
Posted By: BigWill Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 12:16 AM
Whew! I thought maybe that was too much. I am ALWAYS pissing people off without meaning to.

Any of these better:

"Gay Gaucho" (my first thought)
"Pinko Cowpoke"
"Green-go"
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 12:32 AM
Hey, I'm not pissed. Remember what we were saying about writing not showing everything?

I just figured I'd return wild exaggeration with wild exaggeration.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 01:22 AM
You agitator, you!
Posted By: BigWill Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 02:57 AM
Oh! You mean "fascist flower child" was directed at me? HMMM...

Or did you mean like crossing Bush and a hippy?

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 03:36 AM
No, that was my answer to the riddle. I figured I'd swap the politics and the stereotype.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 03:51 AM
Gotcha.

For a second there I thought you were calling me a flower child! (Hanging out in the parking lot of a Grateful Dead concert for an entire weekend doesn't make you a flower child, right?).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 03:52 AM
Watch out, man, you could start voting green... And smoking it!
Posted By: BigWill Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/10/04 03:58 AM
I don't think I'll be voting for the Greens anytime soon, but when I retire... Sitting around the pool with a strawberry margarita and a big fattie sounds pretty good, don't it?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/11/04 04:52 PM
i actually like green-go.. thats pretty inventive!!

no margarita for me, make it a cold beer.

bigjohn
Posted By: BigWill Re: Commie Cowboy? :) - 07/11/04 04:54 PM
Thanks, bigjohn. I was a little bit proud of that one. LOL
© Axiom Message Boards