Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous Axiom AX-2 - 03/18/02 08:28 PM
A friend is selling his pair of Axiom AX-2 speakers and I am wondering if I should buy them. He said that they are warranteed for life, but he didn't know if that would carry over to a new owner.
Also, how would that speaker compare in sound and quality to the speakers that Axiom produces these days?
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom AX-2 - 03/18/02 08:52 PM
The AX2 was a very good speaker, and presumably the newer models build on the improvements in technology and testing Ian has conducted. I chose the AX2 as a speaker over several other companies (PSB, Paradigm, Infinity, Mission), but ended up with AX3's. The warranty has been used for driver replacement, and I don't believe Axiom tracks ownership.

They have resided in a system with comparable pieces in terms of price, and been well received. I have also placed them in my hifi system for testing, and they sound decent as well.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Axiom AX-2 - 03/20/02 04:06 PM
Hi BBIBH,
Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you still use and like your AX-3s. I have read some of your posts and it must be nice to still listen to and appreciate equipment that you bought some time ago. How would you say the AX-3 (and AX-2) compare with the current Axiom lineup and for that matter, with current speakers in general? Thanks
Posted By: alan Re: Axiom AX-2 - 03/20/02 08:43 PM
Hi Anonymous,
The Axiom AX-2 was a remarkably good speaker in its time. I believe there's a thread some weeks ago where I cited its performance against some much more expensive British competitors in blind listening tests I participated in when I was reviewing speakers for Sound & Vision (Canada) magazine.

But the only way you could really make this judgment is to set up an AX-2 next to a current Axiom model noted for its neutrality and open quality--the M22Ti, for example.

Alas, acoustical memory--our recall of a speaker's particular tonal colourations--is rather fallible, and side-by-side comparisons are the only valid test. Nevertheless, I suspect that the AX-2 would hang in there pretty well.

A few weeks ago I hauled a pair of inexpensive Canadian mini-monitors out of storage. They had performed very well 15 years ago and so I put them up against some new Axioms and a fairly recent model from the other manufacturer. I was chagrined to discover how colored the 15-year-old mini-monitors sounded compared to the new Axioms and the other pair of monitors--so much so that I couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes. I put them right back in the closet. (Perhaps they'll age, like a good wine, and improve in ten years!!)

Nevertheless, it would be an interesting test to see how the AX-2 would fare.
Regards,
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom AX-2 - 03/21/02 10:59 PM
Yes, the knowledge that I made a good choice is perhaps as satisfying as any factor. What makes it more so, is that I ended up with 3's for the price of 2's because of dealer incompetence.

As Alan mentioned, I have yet to compare the AX and Millenia lines directly. A dealer friend has promised to drop of a set of M60/80 for me to listen to, but it has not happened - I must call him and remind him!
I would guess that the new speakers would have a bit of an edge, due to newer technology and testing Ian has undertaken in the many years since I bought them.

In terms of comparing them to other current speakers, well, I have several comparisons that I have made. Axiom has been consistent in their performance, and while they are above some manufacturers, they are below others. I have speakers above and below them on the performance scale.

Overall, they are a good value in their price point, and slightly above.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Axiom AX-2 - 04/03/02 04:45 PM
Just a note. I have a pair of the AX 2's running in the front of my system. With 1.2 rears and centre. The AX 2's produce excellent sound in my opinion. I noted that a lifetime warranty was mentioned. The information I received with my AX 2's say five years. You may want to verify that fact.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom AX-2 - 04/03/02 11:33 PM
Yes, I remember having the original documentation indicating lifetime.

I think they changed it at some point. Axiom manufactured this line for a good stretch of the late 1980's and most of the 1990's....if I read the history section of their website correctly. I bought mine around 1989ish.
© Axiom Message Boards