Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Thasp Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/12/04 07:59 AM
Long story, but I did not have enough money for life and speakers - and had to cancel everything. I didn't receive any of the things before I cancelled except for the cables, so luckily, no hefty shipping charges.

I do plan to buy again when things are running more smoothly around here.

Looking for bargains, I found this audiosource integrated amplifier on amazon.com . 150x2 into 8 ohms, with a preamp, for $330. 'Audiosource' is a name that sounds like something I'd get from the back of a truck. I've never heard of them, and that is a deal that looks too good to be true - especially since the audiosource webpage does not list an 'amp four'.

Do they make good amps, or do they fit in the pile with Bose? I can't find anything on their products. And if they work well, then they're a damn good bargain over the other amp companies I've been looking at. Also, is that an integrated amp? It gets listed as a power amp, yet it has level controls, which confuses me.

Thanks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/12/04 02:30 PM
An integrated amp is a device that incorporates a power amp and a preamp. In other words, it's a receiver without a tuner.

I have heard of Audiosource before, but I can't remember what I've heard!
Posted By: ghostwheel Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/12/04 04:10 PM
I have an Audiosource Amp 2 that works fine. It makes things louder and doesn't introduce any noise of its own. I like the feature set. It's got "Music Sense", so will turn itself on when it receives a signal. You can use it without a preamp if you want, as the Amp 2 has both CD and Line level inputs, making it pretty flexible.
Posted By: Thasp Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/13/04 05:23 AM
Oh, um.. I should've been clearer. I know what an integrated amp is(preamp+power amp), I just wanted to know if this was a power amp(meaning it has no preamp) or if it was an integrated amp(meaning it has a preamp).

Thanks for the response. Comparing prices.. this is definately on the top of my list. The only other choices in this price range is an 80 watt digital receiver and a 50 watt NAD amp, so this competes very nicely.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/13/04 05:24 AM
Looks like it's a power amp to me!
Posted By: Thasp Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/13/04 05:49 AM
Thanks.

If it's a power amp, then why do they put level meters there to confuse you?

If it's a power amp, then I'll put a quality external soundcard on my list of things to check into. A good source and preamp for around $150, plus the conveinence of having all of my CDs in a lossless format accessable from my desktop. Seems like a good deal.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/13/04 09:32 PM
The level meters simply measure the current that's passing through the amp. The louder the music, the higher the meters will swing.
Posted By: Thasp Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/13/04 09:59 PM
Oh, not the meters, I worded it wrong. My apologies. I meant to ask why there were two level knobs for volume on the side if it was a power amp with no preamp in it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/13/04 10:01 PM
a lot of amp companies include level knobs to help you trim and match the output levels. It's especially helpful if you're using more than one external amp.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Audiosource - reputable company? - 08/14/04 05:29 PM
Hi thasp

Audiosource is a good company, makes decent, fairly priced products. Their amps are very good, great for the price.
© Axiom Message Boards