Axiom Home Page
Posted By: chunkYE Stereo reciever for M80's, not surround - 08/23/04 09:09 AM
Done some research and e-mailed Amie a couple of times, foud out that with shipping and tax, to get a pair of M80's to my door is 2000 Australian dollars. So this has cut into my budget a fair bit, then I realised that I only wanted this for stereo, not surround sound. So what is a good stereo reciver for powering a pair of M80's? Any suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated
Posted By: JohnK Re: Stereo reciever for M80's, not surround - 08/23/04 09:50 AM
Chunk, a stereo receiver such as the Denon DRA-685 would be excellent. Let me suggest though that multi-channel receivers now sell in greater quantities and are surprisingly little more in price, so unless you're certain that you'll never use the multi-channel, consider one of them even if you won't use all of it now.
Do a search on the Onkyo TX-8511. It says it can drive a 4 ohm load effortlessly.
Posted By: chunkYE Re: Stereo reciever for M80's, not surround - 08/24/04 07:45 AM
would say a 5 x 80 Watt receiver be equal to a say a 2 x 200 watt receiver?
I think I understand your question. I'll give it a shot.
The power rating on receivers can get confusing.
Alan has a great read: http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/power.html

Also, it depends on what receivers that are being compared.
Some are better than others. I'm not an expert on the workings of an amp. I believe Alan posted this topic before, I just don't know where it's at.

Tom
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Stereo reciever for M80's, not surround - 08/25/04 02:04 AM
Why would you like to have a reciever as opposed to something like a pre/power amp combination or an integrated amp?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Stereo reciever for M80's, not surround - 08/25/04 03:42 AM
No, chunk, not if you mean power per speaker. The 80 watt amp would supply each stereo speaker 80 watts(the other three amp channels would be at least temporarily unused); the 200 watt amp would supply each speaker 200 watts. Note however that even 200 watts(most stereo amps are less) is only 4dB more than 80 watts(e.g. 114dB rather than 110dB on a brief peak).
I believe ChunkYE had a budget set in a previous post that only a receiver could fit into.
I personally use an Integra DTR 7.4 and an Outlaw 755.
© Axiom Message Boards