Axiom Home Page
Posted By: lomb7 Reciever Help - 09/20/04 02:22 AM
OK, need some help. Currently I am running an Outlaw Audio 1050 for my HT and music for my down stairs room. I just picked up a pair of new speakers MK550 from av123 to try them out. The Rockets will be in my formal living room but the new reciever will also need to power a set of Axiom 22's along with a pair of Polk outdoor speakers. The problem I have is that I have a crap Sony that is at least 5-8 years old that is lucky to power it's own display. This system will only be for music. Should I move the Outlaw 1050 into the living room and get something nicer for my HT or should I go with a music only reciever???

Give me some help here.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Reciever Help - 09/20/04 03:12 AM
Hello lomb

I have a very good friend with an Outlaw receiver and a pair of Michaura M665s (very much like Axiom M60s - same 6.5" aluminum drivers, same 5.25" driver but with the Merak 3/4" titanium tweeter), a pair of Michaura M55s in the back (very much like the Axiom M22s) and a Dahlquist PDQ 1500, 15" subwoofer. The sound is incredibly good!

Nevertheless, if you want a 2 channel music system, I'd seriously consider the Panasonic XR 45 5.1 channel all digitally amplified receiver. It has received rave reviews for 2 channel stereo service. Reviewers note a serious improvement with a high grade power cord. High grade doesn't mean expensive, a thick orange power cord from Home Depot should do the trick. The advantage of the Panasonic is you can use it to drive a 5.1 channel upgrade if you need.

An alternative for a dedicated 2 channel system is a nice tube amp. I'd recommend a minimum of 15-20 watts per channel for the M22s, if you had the M3s, I'd say 5 wpc would be sufficient (both based on personal experience). There is someone with the Cayin Class A solid state unit that is a very musical amp, or the Antique Sound Labs AQ 1001 DT 30 wpc tube amp. These should be magic with a pair of M22s and a good, fast, musical sub.

The advantage of the Panasonic XR 45 is price. They can be had for $300, MSRP is $400.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Reciever Help - 09/20/04 07:21 AM
In reply to:

Reviewers note a serious improvement with a high grade power cord. High grade doesn't mean expensive, a thick orange power cord from Home Depot should do the trick.

Hearsay, hearsay.... And what about all that non-upgraded power cable between the power company and your wall receptacle? [rolls eyes]
© Axiom Message Boards