Axiom Home Page
Posted By: player8 Need Cartridge help - 11/05/04 07:46 PM
My dad is thinking of getting a Stanton Turntable and he wants a better cartridge. I really like the Shure M97xE but its a little pricey. Do you guys know anything about the sound quality of their DJ line? Like the M35X or the M44G? These are a little more in the price range, but they seem to be DJ oriented. I don't know if that makes any difference. I'm more worried about sound quality and tracking force. Any help from you vinyl geeks is appreciated...
Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Need Cartridge help - 11/06/04 01:52 AM
Somewhat sideways, but have you checked out the availability of Ortofon in your area? I've had very good results from mine and the price was excellent.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Need Cartridge help - 11/06/04 04:01 AM
Well, I'm gonna be no help. I have the Stanton STR8-30, but I sprung for the M97xE. I'm glad I did.
Posted By: player8 Re: Need Cartridge help - 11/06/04 06:18 PM
I haven't looked into it, but I will.

Jack, I thought you were around before the turntable was invented?

Maybe I will just take a chance on a DJ cartridge.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Need Cartridge help - 11/06/04 06:46 PM
Sheesh!
Posted By: alan Re: Need Cartridge help - 11/07/04 08:46 PM
player8,

As you go up in price in the Shures and Grados, you get lower tracking force and generally better tracking of dynamics in the inner grooves, especially high frequencies---BUT, to get those benefits, you have to have a tonearm with very low bearing friction and low mass. That usually means a separate custom arm, which is expensive.

The M97xe is excellent, a good compromise, very close to the V15 series, and would suit the Stanton tonearm better. If the lower-priced Shures have the damped tracking brush, they'd be decent. The latter really helps tracking warped vinyl. I would not spend a lot on a high-end cartridge unless you have a custom tonearm.

Regards,
Posted By: player8 Re: Need Cartridge help - 11/08/04 12:31 AM
Alan,

Thanks for the advice. I will do a little more research and see what I find.

Jack,

I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Need Cartridge help - 11/08/04 03:45 AM
LOL! No offense taken, or assumed. I laughed at your comment. I don't mind being, nor am I ashamed to be, the age I am. After all, I don't have any control over it, so it's not my fault. It also beats the alternative. My little smiley was tongue in cheek. I just enjoy playing the Rodney Dangerfield role around here. "I don't get no respect."
© Axiom Message Boards