Axiom Home Page
Posted By: lomb7 Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 04:54 AM
I wanted to get peoples thoughts on this unit. I am running my M60's through a Denon 3803 and will use my progressive scan DVD player as an audio source. Using the ICMB it looks like I can get much better bass from my system by letting the ICBM manage the levels. Does anyone have any history on this unit?
Posted By: curtis Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 04:58 AM
I guess you have to define what you mean by better bass.

The bass management in the 3803 should be fine for CD playback.

Most folks get the ICBM for multichannel/hi-res bass management, of if there systems have no bass management or inflexible bass management.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 06:08 AM
Craig, ditto Curtis's comments. Unless you're referring to DVD-A/SACD playback and your DVD player doesn't have good bass management for those sources, the ICBM won't be of significant advantage and can't make the bass "much better".
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 06:45 AM
I use an ICBM for bass management - it permits me to set the cross-over points for center, front LR, side LR and back surrounds as well as stereo sub out feature. I got it for high res playback (DVD Audio) bass management, but liked it so much, I decided to use it for all sources. The only way to do this was to place the ICBM between the amps and processor. Love it.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 07:04 AM
Interesting dilemma...my only quibble with my Marantz is the fixed crossover point of 100hz. There's a Rotel 1075 on Audiogon for $750 - add an ICBM and I'm at roughly 1K - the same budget I'd set aside for a new receiver. Hmmmm....
Posted By: richeydog Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 07:15 AM
Get the amp. Get the amp. Get the amp. Did I mention get the amp?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 07:19 AM
So, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking, here, that Rich wants you to get the amp. But maybe not...
Posted By: Wid Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 11:55 AM

I use an ICBM in my 2 channel set up.The reason I got it was my preamp has no bass managment at all.This way my amp doesn't have to reproduce anything below 60hz.Its a nice piece of equipment and does offer a lot of flexability to a system.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 03:55 PM
Okay, I'm not entirely clear on this. Do you think he wants me to go for the receiver?

I just downloaded the owner's manual for the ICBM. Very, very neat. One of the things I was most confused about in the kind of setup 2x6 is describing (receiver as pre > ICBM > amp) is, "what about the LFE channel?" Outlaw, of course, made allowances for this. Very neat! Now I want one even more!

I couldn't spring for an amp until after Christmas debts have been paid, but that's looking like a very attractive proposition. Of course I'd actually have to buy two ICBMs because I'd still want one for DVD-A/SACD bass management.

I hate this hobby...
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Outlaw ICBM - 11/22/04 06:20 PM
I think Radio Shack has a 6 channel switching box - so you could have two multichannel inputs into the switching box with the option of choosing between 2 multichannel sources, then a single set of multichannel outputs from the selector box into the ICBM.

I used to use a receiver as a processor, now I use a dedicated processor.
© Axiom Message Boards