Axiom Home Page
Posted By: COACH2369 Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/25/04 10:16 PM
After seeing that somebody on here has a home theater with 4 of these speakers in a room that is about the same size or perhaps a tad smaller than mine, I was wondering if an upgrade would be beneficial. Originally I thought about getting the M80's at the time of purchase, but i went the M60'S instead. Would these be overkill and I should I just stick with the M60'S? Also, does Axiom allow you upgrade within a year of purchase?

Any information would be great!

Thanks
Coach
Posted By: koiman Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/25/04 10:43 PM
Coach2369,
I think I'm the one you are talking about. If you don't upgrade to the M80ti you will always wounder if you would have been happier with the M80ti. If the money isn't a problem go for it and you will have maxium that Axiom has to offer. I don't know about the upgrade time I think it is only 30 day's
Posted By: Type_E Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/25/04 11:50 PM
no
Posted By: DelD Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/26/04 01:15 AM
Coach,

I was also undecided on which speaker to get for mains, the M80Ti or the M60Ti. I had several long discussions with Axiom about the size of my room, what I was going to be using the speakers for and type of receiver that would be driving the speakers. They explained to me as your not getting better sound with the M80Ti, just the ability to play that sound louder (much louder). Since I was looking for clarity and not overly concerned on how loud the speakers played, I went with the M60Ti for mains. I also talked to several different people at Axiom, basically calling back a few times so I could get a different point of view.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/26/04 03:10 AM
I second the no vote. I see no point and for what little you gain, is the hassle and cost worth it?
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/26/04 03:31 AM
has anyone here ever heard the 80s and 60 side by side?i would guess that there would be differances in the mids as well,im just assuming there would be due to there being another 5.25 driver
Posted By: DelD Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/26/04 03:33 AM
I just thought of something, since this is under “Advice from Axiom Owners” I really shouldn’t comment, since technically I don’t “own” Axiom speakers, yet…they haven’t been delivered. So ignore my ramblings for the moment (at least a couple more weeks.)

BTW…. My vote was no too; I just got busy and forgot to actually state that in the post.

Wait, ignore that too.

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/26/04 01:23 PM
My brain says "no" ....BUT, it sounds as though you will be always wondering if you did the right thing so by all means buy them, you only go around once.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/28/04 04:58 PM
i agree with the others.. unless you have the desire to just really CRANK some tunes from your system, the 60's should be plenty enough sound to satisfy. the 80's will simply offer more overall volume, and not improve much in overall clarity.

unless you are punching your volume to its MAX setting, and still wanting more, then just stick with what you have. seems to me you have an awesome set-up as it is. enjoy it...

bigjohn
Posted By: willscary Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/29/04 01:21 AM
I have M80's, a VP-150, and a pair of QS8's in an 11'-8" X 16'-4" X 7'-0" room. My feeling is that running a speaker at a smaller percentage of its power handling capabilities means less overall distortion, and less chance of distortion induced colorations (especially in the bass region). I opted for the largest speakers and couldn't be happier.
Posted By: COACH2369 Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/29/04 01:36 AM
Thanks for the information... I noticed that you are a Badgers fan? It is very likely that I will be watching your Badgers play my DAWGS in Tampa on New Years...:)

I think I want to upgrade my speakers, but I wish I could upgrade through Axiom... My wife will probably freak if I buy a new pair of speakers right after I dropped 600 for a new DVD player....
Posted By: Wid Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 11/29/04 01:43 AM
But it sure would be nice for someone to do a side by side comparison of the two.A subjective M60 vs M80 review.With the price increase of the Axiom speakers I'm sure you could get most of your money back from the M60s if you were to keep the M80s.
Posted By: dmw Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/01/04 01:03 PM
I bought a pair of M80's a few months back from a retailer in Ontario. When I came in, he first played the M50s. They were wonderful. Then he put on the M60's which is what I had come for. They had more detail and midrange presence to my ears. Finally, he put on the M80's. To me, the M80's just had more of everything. There was a sax or clarinet solo playing (cant remember which now) and it was so lifelike! They say that the Axiom line is all similar in character, which I suppose is true, since they all use the same drivers. But those three speakers sounded different enough to warrant wanting to move up (which i did, with Wifey's approval). The biggest difference was between the M50's and the other two. Without the midrange driver(s), they were a little more laid back, which I'm sure many listeners would prefer. But each speaker also comes in a progressively larger cabinet, so unless you are using a subwoofer, you are gaining more than just midrange with each subsequent upgrade.
It's too bad that Axiom no longer will be selling retail. I came to purchase the M60's, but the store owner offered me a low price, that combined with exchange rate (I drove from Michigan)and no-tax, made the M80's about the same price! I am really glad that I was able to hear them live before making my decision.

So, the moral of the story is: Always bring your wife.
Posted By: spocket Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/02/04 02:58 AM
dmw: Did you buy your speakers at "Future House" in windsor? This is where I bought my system.

I can definitely relate to your experience. I came in to buy a HT system with the M50's. But the salesperson played the 50's, then the 60's and finally the 80's. I could hear the exact same thing you did. The biggest step was between the 50's and 60's. I left empty handed till I could come up with more money. Finally went with the 60's a couple weeks later and I am glad I waited.

I would say that the 80's sounded better than the 60's, but not enough to justify the hassle/price to upgrade if you already have the M60's unless you REALLY feel like upgrading, in which case the 80's would be a nice upgrade.
Posted By: COACH2369 Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/02/04 03:09 AM
I think i am going to go ahead and do the upgrade on the speakers. I seriously doubt they will be worse than my 60's. I just purchased a Denon 2910, so I need to convince my wife that we need to upgrade the speakers as well....lol
Posted By: bridgman Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/02/04 03:56 AM
>>I seriously doubt they will be worse than my 60's.

I don't think there is much risk of them sounding worse. Make sure you keep the 60s around until the 80s show up so you can A/B them for us
Posted By: dmw Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/02/04 11:44 AM
Yes,it was Futurehouse. Ended up with the M80's for about 829 USD.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/02/04 04:36 PM
La la la la la I'm not listening la la la la la...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/02/04 05:28 PM
Ken. You mean
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/02/04 09:25 PM
Yeah, that's the one.
Posted By: swampfox Re: Should I upgrade my 60'S to 80's? - 12/03/04 10:49 PM
I am not listening either.
I will stick with the 50's
© Axiom Message Boards