Axiom Home Page
Posted By: twodan19 ot-calling johnk - 11/28/04 02:19 PM
john, have been asked by a family member for mahler's 5th symphony by the BSO. been to their site and don't see it offered. any ideas on a cd with a comparable rendition to make this member happy?
thanks
dan
Posted By: JohnK Re: ot-calling johnk - 11/29/04 06:13 AM
Dan, the BSO recorded the Mahler 5th with both Leinsdorf and Ozawa, but apparently neither one is currently available, at least from the usual sources. I can recommend the recording by von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic, now on sale at Tower . If you'd care to order I can make further suggestions to put you over the $20 for free shipping(way over if you want).
Posted By: twodan19 Re: ot-calling johnk - 11/29/04 03:26 PM
john, that would be great. i know appliances and their parts, but not classical music. we're supposed to have a $50.00 cap on gifts, but if you can suggest other cd's based on the original request, that would be great.
dan
Posted By: JohnK Re: ot-calling johnk - 11/30/04 04:29 AM
Dan, besides the Mahler 5th, I'd suggest adding the Dvorak Slavonic Dances , which then totals just under the $20, plus the following $7.99 discs: Holst Planets ; Tchaikovsky Swan Lake ; Brahms Hungarian Dances ; Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances ; Respighi Roman Festivals ; Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade . It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some of these for yourself. There's a whole world of beautiful music waiting for you out there.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: ot-calling johnk - 11/30/04 12:21 PM
thanks john. just printed out the shopping list.
dan
Posted By: twodan19 Re: ot-calling johnk - 12/21/04 03:38 PM
john, thanks for your help. we had an early gift opening sunday. john (my brother in-law) was excited about the cd's he received. maybe it's a first name thing?
dan
Posted By: JohnK Re: ot-calling johnk - 12/22/04 12:32 AM
Dan, glad to be of help, but I'm curious as to which ones you wound up getting. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
© Axiom Message Boards