Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jtmccoy home depot speaker cable--which one to use? - 12/16/04 11:21 PM
Hey all,

Finally got my surrounds (whoo-hoo!). I went out to get some Home Depot speaker cable (16ga.-is that okay?), since that's what everyone seems to say is the best bang for the buck. The problem is they had two kinds: a generic kind and a "digital" one. The digital was twice as expensive. Do you know which one should be used? I'm fine with paying the extra ten bucks if it'll actually help the sound, but obviously I don't want to if that's just marketing hype.

I'll be running two wires of about 17 ft. if that matters at all.

Thanks!
-JT
Get 14 or 12 gauge, whatever they've got. You certainly don't need the "Digital" one. Yeah. Digital copper. Sure...
Digital speaker wire? Hmm...

Check this out...Speaker Wire
Posted By: Ray3 Re: home depot speaker cable--which one to use? - 12/17/04 01:12 AM
As ken said, 12 or 14 will do ya. I'm using thier 14 and I have 25-30 foot runs. I shied away from the 12 because it (as I read) is less flexible and tends to stress the receiver connections. Of course, I didn'y know much about this stuff then. [wink[] Hey, what am I saying - I don't know much about it now!
{furtheregoinflation}Of COURSE you know a lot about HT, Ray!{/furtheregoinflation}
Well, I went ahead with the generic 16ga speaker cable. According the chart Spiff posted, 16ga was fine for the 16-17' lengths I needed.

Actually, it was more than fine! Oh momma, do these little babies rock! Started off with some scenes from Gladiator, then a little David Matthews-Live at Central Park, some Gamecube, then finally Fellowship of the Ring. I think my wife is actually going to get a little jealous.

Seriously, I've never experienced real surround sound before beyond the cheap HTIB's some of my friends have. Most of the time, you never hear much surround effect on those. With the Q's, it's a night and day difference though. Not only do you get all the whiz-bang directional effects, but the overall sound is just much warmer and enveloping, especially with the music scoring. The beginning of Fellowship, where Cate Blanchette begins her narration, the chorus just washes over you.

I have to admit, it's nice to have such an easy room accoustically as I've read many of the challenges others have faced in placing their speakers. I'll post some pics once I figure out how to do that.

Anyway, blah blah blah...yes, I'm rambling, but I'm sure you all have been there and understand.

Okay, I'm off to watch the Lakers now!
-JT
Congrats! Glad you like them.
Posted By: Ajax Re: home depot speaker cable--which one to use? - 12/17/04 05:30 AM
Fun stuff JT! Enjoy!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: home depot speaker cable--which one to use? - 12/17/04 04:05 PM
I appreciate the comment ken, but there is a thin line between actually knowing about something and SOUNDING like you actually know something. The bane of my existence. I am often mistaken for Professor Irwin Corey - the world's greatest authority. At least I was before I ended up with more hair in my ears than on the top of my head.
I know exactly what you mean...
my grandmother used to say:

" those of you who think you know it all...annoy those of us who do!!"
I like it; but I'll have to wait 50 years to use it.
© Axiom Message Boards