Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravi_singh Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/30/04 09:41 AM
This question has been bugging me for some time but I'm rather certain I could do this:

Buy a DVD player that has built in decoders and 6ch analog out, and buy a 5 ch power amp, plug them in and play. no need for a processor or preamp.

has anyone done this?
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/30/04 11:04 AM
What would you then use to turn the sound up and down?
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/30/04 01:54 PM
Why would you turn the sound down?
Posted By: Saturn Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/30/04 03:32 PM
If you attach a source to an amp without a pre-amp/ volume control its like running your receiver with your volume all the way up.
Posted By: alan Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/30/04 03:55 PM
Hi Ravi,

It would work but it would be very inconvenient because you'd have to go into the DVD player setup menu to alter the individual volume levels of each channel every time you wanted to adust the sound levels. If you use an amp with an input level control, it would be easier but still inconvenient. There are older stereo power amps around that have input level controls but they are never convenient. I don't advise you do this because there's a real danger that the output levels might be too high and you could drive the amp into clipping and damage drivers in the speaker.

Regards,
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/30/04 09:49 PM
i run a 2 channel system like that so there is no reason to keep ajusting the levels,like alan said,it would be a pain on a multi chan system,the volume is controlled by remote wich raises and lowers the voltage output
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/31/04 07:26 AM
thanks for all your replies - good advice!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/31/04 04:48 PM
>>i run a 2 channel system like that so there is no reason to keep ajusting the levels,like alan said,it would be a pain on a multi chan system,the volume is controlled by remote wich raises and lowers the voltage output

Just to be clear, are you using the DVD remote to adjust levels or something else ?
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Can I use just a player and an amp? - 12/31/04 11:12 PM
yes,i have a sony cd player with a volume controll built in,it just changes the voltage to the amp,i think.the only drawback is that when i turn it on the volume is all the way up so i have to remember to turn it down before i hit play.
© Axiom Message Boards