Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Barrett Need Adivce - 01/11/05 10:32 PM
So today I purchased a set of M60ti, QS8, VP150 and the EP500. I currently have a Sony 555ES reciever, any thoughts on a good upgrade? I want to spend around 1K. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Need Adivce - 01/11/05 10:37 PM
I have the same system as you, except for an EP350 sub, planning on a second soon. Anyway, I love my Denon AVR2805, it makes my Ax's sing. At a list of $895, I found mine at American Electronics for about $720 on employee cost day....

good luck

Posted By: bray Re: Need Adivce - 01/11/05 11:16 PM
Or look at the Denon 3805. Also one of the H/Ks in that price range would work well.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Need Adivce - 01/11/05 11:52 PM
Personally, I like the Pioneer Elite line with MCACC. I have the 54TX model and love it.

With that said, someone else once posted a response to a question like this before and said "For that price, you will find that just about all receivers will be good. Look for functionality pieces, warranties, looks, remote control functions, etc."

I would agree. You will get dozens of responses for Harmon Kardon, Denon, Yamaha, Sony, etc, etc, etc...

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Need Adivce - 01/12/05 12:23 AM
Geez, what is it about the Sony ES you don't like? That seems like a pretty nice unit.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Need Adivce - 01/12/05 04:21 AM
ditto to what nick said...

if you are willing to spend in the $1K range, you can find over a dozen awesome home receiver units that will suit your needs. i would make a master list of about the top 6 you are interested in, and just do a side by side comparison of what they have to offer. everything from watts per channel, inputs/outputs, remote functions, etc, etc.. which ever one suits your needs, buy it!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Barrett Re: Need Adivce - 01/17/05 09:12 PM
So I took a day off from work so that I would be home when the speakers arrived. Unboxed everything, setup it up and it sounds so AMAZING. Totally impressed with Axiom, but my neighbors aren't too happy. I guess I got a little carried away ordering the EP500, its overkill for my 1K SQ apartment. Good news is the house will be finished soon so hopefully I will move before getting an eviction notice.

I was wondering, what is everyone's favorite "Show off" DVD?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Need Adivce - 01/17/05 10:02 PM
In reply to:

what is everyone's favorite "Show off" DVD

wow, the EP500 in a small apartment.....? i can only imagine.

ok, back to the original question. there are soooooo many DVD's that you could use to "show off" your system. some will show off the surrounds, some the sub, and some the life-like directional abilities of the whole system. here is a short list and i am sure others will add more.

BTW- if you do a search for DVD's, you will probably find hundreds of posts of people listing the bst DVD's to show-off the HT.

saving private ryan
the bourne identity
band of brothers
the kill bill series
lord of the rings series
harry potter series
spiderman series
the matrix series
open range
and to really show off the sub, finding nemo(darla scene), and U-571(depth charge scenes).

have fun, and take it east on your fellow apartment dwelling neighbors.

bigjohn
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 03:18 AM
Darla? U571?

You WANT him to get evicted, don't you John?
Posted By: Wid Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 04:25 AM

All of the above plus check out IRobot.It has a pretty killer sound track.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 03:01 PM
In reply to:

plus check out IRobot

thats the 3rd or 4th time i have heard someone say that about that movie. i guess i am gonna have to check it out. the movie itself looked kinda silly, and your classic 'good guy saves the day, and blows everything up in the process', kinda movie. i normally dont care for those, but i will give it a shot, just for the audio.

bigjohn
Posted By: player8 Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 04:59 PM
John, you pretty much summed the movie up right there. It's rather hard to follow and not unlike any other movie, but the audio would be worth a watch.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 06:32 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by it John. It exceeded my expectations which were, admittedly, low. Approach it with an open mind, and see if you can enjoy it. And, by all means let us know what you think.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 06:38 PM
In reply to:

the movie itself looked kinda silly, and your classic 'good guy saves the day, and blows everything up in the process', kinda movie.

hmmmm, you mean like every other Will Smith movie?
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 06:45 PM
You'll enjoy it more if you've never read - and will never read - the story upon which it is "based" (incredibly loosely) by Isaac Asimov.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 07:06 PM
EXACTLY!!!!

i am not a big fan of that whole genre of movies.. BLOW EVERYTHING UP!!!, its just not for me.. which, i think is why my wife gave me a funny look when i first mentioned getting an HT. but, i have allowed myself to try and watch some of them, and see what i think.

i will certainly add I.Robot to the list.

bigjohn
Posted By: Wid Re: Need Adivce - 01/18/05 09:12 PM
The IRobot movie is certainly not one of the greatest movies of all time but it does have a sound track that will give the EP500 a good work out.
© Axiom Message Boards