Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Randyman New Onkyo Receivers - 05/02/02 07:55 AM
Just wanted to post some info here.

Lately, there has been a bit of discussion about both amplifier power and opinions about HT receivers. I am interested in a new HT receiver and was especially curious about the new mid level series from Onkyo. So I went and checked them out (the 500 and 600 only - the 700 is not in our local stores yet)

What I found to be disappointing is that both the 500 and 600 models do not have phono inputs! (i.e. no phono preamp/equalization) Not sure about the 700 though. Now some may not care about that, but there are many who still love the sweet sound of vinyl. Guess I will have to look harder at the Denon or higher end Onkyos.

So my comment here is LOOK before you leap!

Randyman
Posted By: CAV104 Re: New Onkyo Receivers - 05/02/02 04:38 PM
I'm not sure if they will have what you are looking for but you might want to look into an NAD T761. You can review it at
www.nadelectronics.com

CAV104
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: New Onkyo Receivers - 05/02/02 06:27 PM
Jim,

I'm not a big fan of the NAD t761. Compared to a Denon, even the 1602 or 1802, i find the sound is not as neutral as the NAd. The NAD sounds filtered to me.

I believe my Denon has a mono input..
check it out at www.denon.ca, or .com
Posted By: b_man Re: New Onkyo Receivers - 05/02/02 11:49 PM
It's very suprising to hear that the newer Onkyo units do not have a phono input. When I was shopping for receivers late last year I had both the 595 and 696 noted as having phono inputs. I guess not enough people appreciated them.

I ended up with the 797 and I use the phono input for my NAD533 turntable. It works like a charm!

b_man
Posted By: Randyman Re: New Onkyo Receivers - 05/06/02 07:41 PM
Just a quick update for those who care...

Did some checking on Onkyo(USA)'s website. Seems that the new model TX-SR700 does have a phono input. (while the 500 and 600 do not) I think it is so new that it doesn't seem to be available in stores yet.

Randyman
Posted By: Harvey_S Re: New Onkyo Receivers - 05/16/02 03:09 AM
The 700 does have phono input. You can also buy a separate external phono preamp for between $40 and $400 which would allow you to use one of the aux inputs. The $40 one would be as good or better than what is included in most receivers and any of them would be good enough.
Posted By: Randyman Re: New Onkyo Receivers - 05/17/02 02:40 AM
Harvey_S

You are right! One could always get an external preamp, and if I were a real hard core vinyl nut, I probably would already have one. I liked the old days when even moving coil pre-preamps were built into the high end gear! But alas, I don't have the time nor the energy to deal with that anymore (plus too many years of rock music have taken the edge off of my golden ears! HA!) So I have opted for convenience! I just love the all-in-one remote controls!

Thanks!!

Randyman
© Axiom Message Boards