Axiom Home Page
Posted By: flip22 Any Axiomites in the Pittsburgh, PA area?? - 01/31/05 08:13 PM
Hey, are any of you Axiom owners any where near Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill), PA? I was hoping to get a second, educated opinion on my setup, but I really don't know many ppl around here (let alone any Axiomites.)
Anyone?
Thanks,
-flip22
Flip,
I'm not really sure what it is you're looking for (whether you want to audition someone else's setup, or if you want someone to have a listen to yours). I'm assuming it's the former, so if you're looking to audition some Axiom speakers, check the list of Axiom owners who are willing to audition their speakers. If you still have no luck, try contacting Axiom directly and they may know of someone in your area that is not on the list.

If you still have no luck, try auditioning either B&W 703s or Paradigm Studio series speaker as their sound has been described numerous times as being "similar" to the Axiom lineup.
I think it was the latter
hmm, in that case i'll be right down Flip. Just send me $500 for the plane ticket. I'll pack my bermuda shorts. It's +30 Celcius there right?!?
Ahh, so you watched "Striking Distance" recently ? What a great place to work.

I think that was filmed in the summer -- IIRC Pittsburgh has some pretty serious winters
I have a pair of M60's & a VP150 (along w/the rest of my non-Axiom gear) that I would like to get an overall second educated opinion from another Axiom owner; how it sounds, how everything is placed, calibrated (yes, I have it calibrated to 75dB w/an SPL meter), etc..
i think what might be more important is, does it sound good to you? regardless of another set of ears coming in and telling you what they think, the bottomline will be if the sound satisfies you.

i reckon if you have the speakers placed around 6-10 feet apart, and the center channel, well, in the center, then you have that pretty much squared away. and if you have calibrated, then i would think you are doing pretty good.

now, if your desire is to have someone just come tell you how good it sounds(a pat on the back as it might be), then just call over some of your buddies. when i have mine over, they never want to leave. from what you have stated, i dont think there is much more a fellow axiom owner could tell you. mess with the settings til it puts a smile on your face, and be done with it.. crank volume as needed!!

bigjohn
Nope, not looking for any pats on the back, bigjohn, just looking for what I'm asking. I only have a couple friends in the area and they aren't into HT, so their opinions do not hold much credibility, as far as I'm concerned.
To me, it sounds awesome, but I haven't even been to many other HT setups, so, again, a second, educated opinion would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-flip22
In reply to:

I only have a couple friends in the area and they aren't into HT, so their opinions do not hold much credibility, as far as I'm concerned.

Man, you need a better class of friends!

I can see what you're looking for. Now that I'm finishing my setup, I'd love to have some "experienced ears" offer their opinions.

I think, to a large degree, however it sounds to you is important. But, there's something to be said about having the system "correct" to "train" your ears a bit (especially if your only experience is with a $399 HTIB). THEN, if you want to deviate because you like sound that isn't perfectly flat that's cool... at least you've set a "reference" or "standard" to make your preferred adjustments from.
Thank you, Mark- I didn't think I was asking for anything all that strange. Again, I do LOVE my system, and my parents, wife, a couple friends all think it's great. However, until I talked to 'em, they believed Bose products were the best around. See what I mean?
BOSE Better Off Selling on Ebay

flip- i wasnt trying to be ugly at all. i get the impression that you took it that way. i think when typing, and sometimes reading, words can seem rougher than were intended. trust me, that aint my angle at all. you are a newbie, and the last thing you need is to feel unwelcome. i meant no disrespect in what i said, and if you took it that way, then i apologize. i reckon i meant kinda what mark said, he just said it better.

please feel free to ask and inquire about all your HT needs on this forum. there is NO wrong question. i hope you can get someone over to double check and validate what i am sure is a fantastic sounding system!!

bigjohn
Yeah, I'll verify that John is just a big teddybear.

A sweaty, swearin'-in-the-attic, beer-guzzlin', pink-speaker-grill sportin', chili-eatin' teddybear!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any Axiomites in the Pittsburgh, PA area?? - 02/01/05 08:17 PM
You forgot speaker-driver-pokin'.
No offense taken, Bigjohn, but thank you for the kind words. I'm sure a lot of you can relate; being the only guy in a circle of friends w/a real HT can make you feel a little lonely when you want some honest, well-founded criticism or to just "talk shop", even.
I know that it really comes down to how much -I- enjoy my system, but I don't want to be ignorant of something someone else might see/hear/know that would allow me to enjoy everything even more.
Flip, I know its not feasible for many, including myself but a good idea is to not have anything in between the fronts and if you need a TV, put a widescreen on the wall or build the TV into the wall. These obstructions between speakers really damage the soundstage. But alas, I don't have a theater room so the TV goes between!
Still looking...anyone?
have you tried contacting Amie?
Yep.
Still looking...
Anyone??
© Axiom Message Boards