Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Din SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 09:06 PM
I have been playing around with my speaker set-up and using my SPL meter alot. When I use this thing to adjust the spreaker levels, shoud I be pointing it at each speaker from my most used listening position, or leave it pointing straight forward towards the TV?

Also, I am considering getting a couple more speakers to make a 7.1 set-up. They would be for the back. I was looking at getting the M22's and stands, or the M50's. That works out to be around the same price. Any thoughts?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 09:13 PM
Typically, you leave it pointing forward toward the screen. Ideally, you should mount it on a tripod and place it so it's in the same are your head would be if you were sitting in your favorite spot.
Posted By: Ajax Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 09:25 PM
The general consensus is to place the meter at the "sweet spot," pointed straight ahead toward the TV and center channel speaker, and placed at about the exact height your ears would be.

I have heard a variety of opinions as to what angle the meter should be tilted. I have gone with tilting the meter up at about a 45 degree angle. Do not aim the meter at each individual speaker.

Placing the meter on a tripod, if you have one, is the ideal. This allows the meter to be held steady in the same place, allows the user to move out of the way so his body doesn't become a factor in the readings. Obviously you wouldn't want your body between the meter and the speaker being measured, but neither do you want to be in a position where your body reflects the tones coming from the speaker back toward the meter. It's a tricky business. That's why the tripod is a good idea.

An alternative to the tripod is to prop the meter up on something that keeps it at the right height and angle, but you've gotta be careful about that reflected sound thing.

Since you have the M60s, in the rear I'd go with the 22s, or M2s if you want to save money.
Posted By: alou Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 10:14 PM
If you can't get a tripod, you can just duct-tape it to your head, and sit in the sweet spot!!
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 10:17 PM
In reply to:

If you can't get a tripod, you can just duct-tape it to your head, and sit in the sweet spot!!

But, you still have to have someone read the meter...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 10:20 PM
That's nothing a few handheld mirrors can't fix. Oh wait, peopla only have two hands.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 10:20 PM
That's nothing a few handheld mirrors can't fix. Oh wait, people only have two hands.
Posted By: alou Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 10:31 PM
Gee...we sure are helpful. We should start our own TV show!!
Posted By: James_T Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 11:02 PM
Holy cow Peter. Your son seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. Granted I only see the pics you post as your avatar, but wow.
And why do you keep choosing pics where he looks slightly pissed off? :-)

jr
Posted By: MiniRock Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 11:25 PM
Hi Din: All you need to do is have the SPL meter in the sweet spot, held at arms length, and pointed straight up. A good set-up disc is also helpful. Good luck.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/15/05 11:43 PM
Sorry about the double-post. And he's not pissed off. Just serious.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/16/05 02:27 AM
Mini, i heard/read someone on audioholics say/write. that straight up in the air was the best way as well.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/16/05 03:24 AM
That's what the DVE disk recommends as well.
Posted By: bridgman Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/16/05 04:24 AM
Straight up in the air, huh ? Might try that... I find pointing straight ahead my surrounds end up a bit too loud and my center ends up a bit too quiet.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/16/05 03:52 PM
Yeah, that's the way the custom installation and calibration techs where I used to work at do it. I'm not sure why it changed from pointing it slightly forward to straight up, but that is how the new set-up discs and some manufacturer's like M&K, Monster, Denon, and others recommended doing it.
Posted By: Din Re: SPL set-up and Speaker Questions - 02/16/05 04:53 PM
Thanks Guys,

The duct tape kinda hurt, but it was the most accurate!!
© Axiom Message Boards